Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 7 Apr 2000, 22:00 (Ref:8241)   #26
Testa Rossa
Rookie

Testa Rossa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 4CLT/48 engine is of course 1491 cc (and not 1591cc). I can’t find any clue indicating that this was changed by Speluzzi for his engine.

About the use of 4CLT/48 by the work instead of the 4CLT/50s, I can’t find any comments in by books. So there is some personnal observations :

1) The works racing in 1949 was maybe a low-key affair. The drivers choosen (Chiron’s best years were before WWII, and Rol is not in my mind a first rank driver) seems to indicate some difficulty to attract first class drivers.

2) The 4CLT/50 where I think principally “new” on paper. None of the books I consulted was pointing that the 4CLT/50 was a great improvement.

3) Maserati was maybe, as often, short of money, and thought that selling the 4CLT/50 may attracts new customers and make more money than selling a two-years old design.

4) Maserati has a long tradition of providing privaters with cars quite as good as the one used by the work, whereas Ferrari for instance would always sold you a last-year design or a botched up new one, keeping the best cars for them-self.

Testa Rossa
Old 7 Apr 2000, 22:37 (Ref:8242)   #27
Michael M
Racer

Michael M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stroke volume or engine capacity.
Old 8 Apr 2000, 08:48 (Ref:8243)   #28
AUSTRIA
Racer

AUSTRIA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1591: Typing mistake - obvious.

Testa Rossa, did you also consult the Prichard-book? It's fact, that between the 49/50-seasons Maserati delivered only the both chassis 1611 and 1612. They themselves reflected on the new formula two and the 6-cylinder 2-liter engine was already in construction. So I think, you may be right with your presumes. But it makes me scratching my head and there is really nothing to find about ...
Old 5 May 2000, 15:15 (Ref:8244)   #29
AUSTRIA
Racer

AUSTRIA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only some more details on the Scuderia Milan:

Formed in the year 1946 by the brothers Emilio and Arialdo Ruggeri (about correct spelling see at the bottom). First appearance in the first even in teh first race of the year on 22. April in Nice. Arialdo was the third driver in the team with Villoresi and Cortese. The Scuderia Milan was no factory team, but the only professional acting Maserati team in its time, followed later by Platé and Ambrosiana, the latter a real and official semi-works team until O.A.Maserati came back itsself in the year 1950. But the good relationship to the Maserati-brothers, yet heading Maserati, garantueed a special support by the works. And they caught some of the best drivers to run their cars, as Nuvolari, Villoresi, Cortese, Sommer, Chiron and some other quick guys.

Arialdo Ruggeri run a Maserati CL in some Voiturette-races in 1938 and 1839, best scoring was his 5th place in the Targa Florio of 1940. Her run for Scuderia Milan since the first race of his own equipe and retired from racing in 1948.

Spelling 'Ruggieri' is wrong! Attention! There was a driver named Giuseppe Ruggiero, driving a F2-Maserati in 1948, without any connection to the Ruggeri-Brothers.

P.S.
I close this topic now, the two resting points throwing into Testa Rossa's pot.