Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 Mar 2010, 14:41 (Ref:2661770)   #1
tombartley
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
tombartley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lotus 51 / Lola T200..which one..?

I would like to get into Historic Racing but have no idea on what car would be best for reasons of : reliabilty, parts availability and handling qualities. I'm not in it to win silverwear....just have fun.

The only reason I indicated Lotus 51's and Lola t200's is that they look great, have some famous heritage, and should I ever want to sell, have some decent resale value.( I think..? ) but I'm open to any suggestions please.

Currently campaign a PRB-Birkin S3..it's great, but maybe time to move on..
Cheers,....Tom.
Attached Images

Old 28 Mar 2010, 17:30 (Ref:2661928)   #2
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you're serious about just wanting to have fun, and not focussing on silverware, then most Historic FF1600 (or FF2000) will provide plenty of fun.

The Lotus 51 and Lola T200 aren't necessarily the cheapest way to get your kicks. The Lotus was one of the first Formula Ford cars (before they had 1600cc engines), and had its roots in a Formula Junior Lotus from the very early 60's. However, as Simon Hadfield has proved, they can be made to go very quickly. However, the Lotus name will mean a 51 might cost more than other, potentially more competitive cars.

The Lola T200 was a competent car in its day, but was quite demanding to drive, and only really shone in the hands of drivers of the calibre of Tom Pryce. These days, thanks to the attentions of Fowler Motorsport, they are far more user-friendly, but there aren't many of them about...

Other makes to consider are Merlyn (the best cars of the era, but they command top prices today), Crosslé (good honest, competitive cars), Alexis, Dulon (if you can find one), and Palliser, amongst many others. Crosslé and Merlyn also benefit from spares availability from the original manufacturers.

As many people on this forum will know, Delta and I have a vested interest in Historic FF2000, and if you're interested in joining us, then contact me via the Historic FF2000 website (I don't think I'm allowed to put the actual address in this post).

The other think you should definitely do is come to an HSCC meeting, and have a chat with people...

Edit - Just noticed, Cadwell Park is a bit of a trek from Melbourne...

Last edited by Alan Morgan; 28 Mar 2010 at 17:37. Reason: Re-read initial post
Old 29 Mar 2010, 12:49 (Ref:2662630)   #3
tombartley
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
tombartley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lotus 51 / Lola t200

Thanks Alan for your reply. It sort of confirmed what I was thinking in many ways. The Lotus would cost more and not be as competive as many others.
It's such a pity they look so bloody beautifull..!! Wasn't aware that the Lola t200 was a bit of a handfull though.

As I said, I'm not interested in chaseing silverware, so if I can learn to peddle the Lotus, maybe I won't always be at the back of the pack.

In terms of expence, given the AUD$ v USD$ at present, a Lotus 51a /b/c out of the US did not seem too bad compared with the cost in Oz ( if you can find one ) Around $25k to $30k USD.

Thanks for the invitation, but from Melb. it is a bit of a trek. Having said that, Goodwood Festival / Silverstone and Brands are on the top of my "bucket list".

If you don't mind, I'll keep you informed on how I'm going finding something, with the inevitable question or two. Should you have any further advise, I'd be most gratefull.

Congrats on Buttons win in Melb, our bloke either tried too hard, or maybe he just hasn't got it.....hope it's the former.

Cheers,
Tom .
Old 31 Mar 2010, 22:08 (Ref:2664493)   #4
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon Hadfields 51 is a winner. Against all the Merlyns, Lolas etc. Copy his set up and ability exactly and you have a fast car. Wish I had one...
Old 2 Apr 2010, 23:18 (Ref:2665639)   #5
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
you are racing in Oz so its irrelevent what car to buy

suggest you buy what you like best blonde or brunnette!
IF you where in Uk to race different answers will be given
as yr in Oz if yr butt fits a lotus buy that
Old 6 Sep 2010, 02:20 (Ref:2754977)   #6
Peter Boyd
Rookie

United States
Las Vegas Nevada, USA
Peter Boyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have owned and run 51s,61, Lola 200-204, Merlyn Mk 11 plus other. A lot has to do with your height and weight. 51s are friendly to everyone with great cockpit space. The 61 is more cramped for those over 6'. I cut away the shoulder area on mine and also ran it with a 51 body. Lolas are more recumbant and around 6' is the comfortable limit. Merlyns hate people over around 5'9". I had to wear ultra tight shoes and sit on the floor before installing a comical high roolbar. Lotus', with the Hewland not the Renault, are lovable like a great puppy.
Old 6 Sep 2010, 09:33 (Ref:2755062)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome, Peter; great first post.
Old 6 Sep 2010, 12:22 (Ref:2755145)   #8
Henrik Pedersen
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Henrik Pedersen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You should give the Palliser a thought.
They uses the same chassis in FF, FF2000, F3, F2 and F5000 (Franken), and are very rigid and solid cars, with lots of triangulation done.
They have space for a large driver.

But as Driftwood said: Go for what you like.

Last edited by Henrik Pedersen; 6 Sep 2010 at 12:23. Reason: adding some thoughts