Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 14 Jul 2003, 13:30 (Ref:660733)   #76
garagegirl
Racer

garagegirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well im hoping it wont happen, in a way that place means alot to me, ive made some wicked friends down there, some of whom are ten-tenthers too, and i agree with francesca im up for a sit in the kentagon, or anywhere on track if need be, lol.

many of you have mentioned that the rumours have been round before, is this jsut cos the place is up for sale.

i heard the area around brands is greenbelt, and having done GCSE geography i know that means they cant build on it, not really. jb, you're the geography expert, what do you say?
Old 14 Jul 2003, 13:40 (Ref:660748)   #77
jbisminesothere
Rookie

United Kingdom
the middle of nowhere
jbisminesothere should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, put it this way, the bypass near us it green belt and they built a massive road right through it!! basically they will do whatever they want, even if they are not supposed to!! lets hope that it dont go ahead!!
Old 14 Jul 2003, 13:44 (Ref:660754)   #78
garagegirl
Racer

ok jb, thanks hun!!

hmmm.... well i dont think they will build on it, i geuss it just depends on who buys the circuit!!
Old 14 Jul 2003, 13:47 (Ref:660757)   #79
jbisminesothere
Rookie

United Kingdom
the middle of nowhere
jbisminesothere should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets all club together and buy it, then we dont have to worry about that problem! only just the rest of the money we will need and everything lol
Old 14 Jul 2003, 13:52 (Ref:660762)   #80
garagegirl
Racer

yes lets all club together, ten-tenths can own brands hatch, although cadwell and soemwhere else are part of the package!! lol, that would be soooooo cool dont you think?
Old 14 Jul 2003, 13:53 (Ref:660763)   #81
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
What you all seem to be forgetting is that Mr Prescott has already said that there will be lots of greenbelt land being turned brown in the very near future. As far as planning goes for Brands, this has been in the pipeline for a few years now, it has been in the local papers for the last two years that I am aware of. Also taking the lefty PC line of thinking, they are more likely to give permission for houses, industrial estates and jobs, than noisy race cars.
Old 14 Jul 2003, 13:58 (Ref:660771)   #82
garagegirl
Racer

but we like race cars. what makes me laugh is that all the lo9cals moan about the racing, but now they're protecting the circuit protesting about building new houses. thing is it all depends on who buys the circuit. if a property developer buys the circuit then yea it'll end up a housing estate, but if someone like bernie ecclestone buys the circuit then its far more likely to stay a circuit.

the place has alot of memories and history so i weill find it hard to comprehend why anyone would want to build over the circuit, but then not everyone feels so strongly about the place, nor for that matter likes motorsport!!
Old 14 Jul 2003, 14:44 (Ref:660814)   #83
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some of this appears in a thread in the GT (unless it's moved...) "housing on Brands?".

There were rumours at Oulton this weekend, though I hardly imagine Oulton Park would be sold for housing, and apparently there is an interested party in terms of buying and maintaining it as a top level national circuit. It would be a shame for the recent investment in new pit garages, press centre, control tower etc to go to waste - Oulton now has the facilities to live up to its reputation as one of the punters' and drivers' favourite circuits.
Old 14 Jul 2003, 14:46 (Ref:660816)   #84
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe what we need is a Justin Wilson type floatation of each of the circuits for the fans?
Old 14 Jul 2003, 14:52 (Ref:660825)   #85
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
maybe Pual just hit the nail on the head - I'll buy a bit of brands please.
Old 14 Jul 2003, 14:56 (Ref:660831)   #86
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd certainly buy a bit of Cadwell...it would be a nice legacy to hand down to the kids

There's a certain thing called the Lottery that is supposed to be for things like this as well...surely if a trust was established it would be eligible for a lottery grant?
Old 15 Jul 2003, 09:23 (Ref:661519)   #87
garagegirl
Racer

well i still think all ten-tenthers should club together or something so that the circuits belong to ten-tenths!!!

garcon, i think thw two threads have been merged, cos part of this is the thread we posted on gravel trap
Old 15 Jul 2003, 18:00 (Ref:662053)   #88
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Sim_Da_BTCC_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Once again,

If anyone is up for the formation of "Save Our Circuits" campaign, give me a bell on saveourcircuits@btccworld.com and i'll see where we go from the feedback recived. Ideas are welcome for what we are actually going to do to save our circuits, because a group of people with no ideas would be exactly what it says on the tin, and we would get no where.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 18:11 (Ref:662060)   #89
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Well, I'll e-mail you in a mo; but we can still use this for ideas!
Maybe contact relevant local authorities, and clarify what the situation is for building on each circuit, and what's it's licensed for. Although that could change.
Maybe try and get support from other organisations? There's the obvious motorclubs, but people like the RSPCA may help as well as there's a nice enviromental niche round ciruits nowadays.
The other plan is government support. Looking at their view to Silverstone, it may not happen, but if you have a nice MP (So I'm out, I've got Jack Straw ) - write to them (or maybe the MP for the relevant circuit), say you've heard all this news; ask what he (or she) thinks could be done.

These are off the top of my head, and would need sorting properly - so feel free to say that they're ideas!
Old 15 Jul 2003, 19:15 (Ref:662155)   #90
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
I honestly think the only thing that will work is the purchase of the circuits by interested parties that love motorsport and are willing to take on the risks involved with running a circuit...basically it's all about the Benjamins

Although the individual circuits are owned by Octagon/Brands Hatch Circuits does anybody know if they have management teams attached that are sympathetic to the idea of maintaining them as racing venues? If there are passionate people in-situ that would be a start.
They way I see it each circuit needs to establish a trust or investment company to raise funds and lobby the Lottery Board for assistance.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 06:37 (Ref:662507)   #91
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that is the case and a lot of the staff were with the previous management.Maybe they should bring back good ol' John Webb.Must be about Bernies age and enjoying retirement in Spain,but he ran MCD circuits sucessfully for over 20 years.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 06:47 (Ref:662509)   #92
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
"Wobbly" Webb died some years back didnt he?
Besides you have to question the role Nicola Foulston...his daughter...has played in bringing this situation on
Old 16 Jul 2003, 06:50 (Ref:662510)   #93
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Er,

Isn't Nicola the daughter of the late (Atlantic Computers) John Foulston? He, incidentally died whilst testing a McLaren in strangely similar circumstances to Bruce McLaren.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 06:54 (Ref:662514)   #94
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
errr...yeah I actually think you could be right...as I was checking to find out if John Webb was still alive (which I still dont know)
I'd been labouring under the illusion that she was Webbs daughter forever..doh!!! still...questions should still be asked
Old 16 Jul 2003, 08:01 (Ref:662556)   #95
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought that "Spider" Webb was alive and well and living in Spain.

Who would ever have thought that there might be a "bring back John" movement.

Regards

Jim
Old 16 Jul 2003, 08:03 (Ref:662563)   #96
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
I think my confusion arose from my incorrect Nicola Foulston association..I knew her father had died and as I thought her father was John Webb 2 add 2 definitely equals 6
Old 16 Jul 2003, 08:29 (Ref:662582)   #97
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There would be no problem getting a lottery grant to buy them if it where for some art venue or a theater in London where they dont have these sort of places then they would get it! But motor racing circuits who needs them? Anway i hope they all stay open to much land is being developed for houseing they have just built a dual garage way between Lincoln and Newark so that sould speed things up to Cadwel!!
Old 16 Jul 2003, 08:34 (Ref:662585)   #98
Geoff
Rookie

Geoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PaulSands Wrote:

Although the individual circuits are owned by Octagon/Brands Hatch Circuits does anybody know if they have management teams attached that are sympathetic to the idea of maintaining them as racing venues? If there are passionate people in-situ that would be a start.

Paul, I can guarantee that the majority of BHC and Silverstone employees are committed to the sport and would be equally devastated if any of the venues were to be sold of for development purposes. Contrary to popular belief, most are motorsport enthusiasts who rely on the sport even more so, as it pays the mortgage.

I reckon you can pretty much assume that work is going on behind the scenes...
Old 16 Jul 2003, 08:44 (Ref:662593)   #99
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
I wouldn't doubt the comittment and enthusisam of those at the coal face I was probably more concerned about those holding the purse strings and having the final say and how the circuits are disposed of

Maybe some of the behind the scenes work should be out in the open to encourage support from the likes of us?
Old 16 Jul 2003, 09:00 (Ref:662598)   #100
Geoff
Rookie

Geoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats the problem Paul, the decision will be made at HQ in New York and will be swayed completely by re-couping the loss...

It does make me wonder, Octagon have appointed Jones Laing who are traditionally property (rather than going concern) sellers, this appears to be a tactic to make sure they acheive top dollar, as rumours were abound that the group was being sold for nowt due to the recent losses.

It seems that those who wish to purchase with a view to maintaining the venues as MS venues will have to pay top dollar.

Interesting times....