Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Jan 2005, 20:21 (Ref:1198405)   #1
rdrcr
Rookie

United States
So. CA
rdrcr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Chevron 40th Anniversary Tour

Dear Members of 10 Tenths,

As you may know, 2005 marks the 40th anniversary of Chevron racing cars. If you own a Chevron or know of someone who does, please make them aware of the Chevron 40th Anniversary Tour. Other dates are being scheduled for the UK, though I do not have the details yet.

Below is a copy of the tour invitation (slightly revised for use here). If you would like an entry form, you can contact me directly via PM.

EXCITING NEWS FOR CHEVRON OWNERS!

~ Announcing ~

The Chevron 40th Anniversary Tour

January 2005

Dear Chevron owner,

2005 marks the 40th anniversary of the Chevron Racing cars – the great, winning creations of Derek Bennett.

We are very pleased to present the "Chevron 40th Anniversary Tour" program and we hope you will participate in some or all of these selected events.

The Chevron 40th Anniversary Tour features:

Special "Chevron only" races.*

A designated Chevron paddock area including a fully equipped hospitality tent.

A welcome party with noted Chevron celebrities present from England and the USA.

Also available, special hats, T-shirts and sport shirts with "Chevron 40th Anniversary” logos

We are also providing 18 x 24 uniform display signs with owner and car information.

This is a very celebrated and unique occasion for all of us to display and race our Chevron cars together. We encourage you to join us in celebrating 40 years of Chevron racing cars.

* (Depending on number of entrants)

Schedule of Events*

May 20 – 22 The Jefferson 500 at Summit Point Raceway, West Virginia (HMSA)

June 24 – 26 The Southern California Historic Sports Car Festival at California Speedway, Fontana, California (HSR-West)

August 19 – 21 Monterey Historics at Laguna Seca - Mazda Raceway, Laguna Seca, California (General Racing)

August 27 – 28 The Gold Cup at Oulton Park - Cheshire, England (HSCC)

Sept. 17 – 18 Fontana Historic Races at California Speedway, Fontana, California (HSR-West)

In order to organize the 40th Anniversary Tour and to get these special events secured we do need a commitment from you as soon as possible.

* Be advised, dates are tentative - we are required to have a minimum of 20 original Chevrons for the Monterey Historics and a minimum of 15 Chevron entrants for the other events.

After receiving your response, we will get back to you with further details, e.g. event confirmations, when and how to enter, entry fees and any other extra requirements or offers.

If you have any questions, please contact in the U.S. - Ed Swart at 310-530-9731, For Europe and the UK, please contact Helen Malkie at 565-777-395.

Thank you and we look forward to seeing you at the races!

The 2005 Chevron Tour Committee
Old 12 Jan 2005, 13:12 (Ref:1198947)   #2
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Richard, that looks great, keep us posted with how it works out over there, and any interesting stories/information that comes out of the Tour. I certainly hope to be at the Oulton Park event.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 17:19 (Ref:1199100)   #3
rdrcr
Rookie

United States
So. CA
Thank you Dan...

You may want to stop by the Chevron Racing Ltd. website from time to time - They'll have updates regarding added venues, cars and personalities and other info.

Depending upon my schedule, I hope to make the Oulton Park meeting as well.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 21:57 (Ref:1214996)   #4
rdrcr
Rookie

United States
So. CA

As a quick update...

For the Monterey Historics only, the Group will be restricted to 2-liter sports racing cars only. Then, only those sports racing cars with correct, period engines will be allowed - no 2.3 YBM filled B19's for example.

We have collected 15 confirmed entries for the Monterey race with another 15 that have been contacted and are considering their entry. In addition, we have another 6 or or so, that we are in the process of contacting - so again, if you have a Chevron sports racer from the B6 through the B36 submit your entry soon!

It looks like we'll have at least 7 beautiful B16's there... and the last Targa Florio winner - The Apache Chevron B36 as well!

Remember, this criteria is for the Monterey Historics only. Other events on the Chevron 40th Anniversary Tour will have the open-wheel cars as well.

Thanks for your attention.

Last edited by rdrcr; 1 Feb 2005 at 21:58.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 00:48 (Ref:1217037)   #5
Jol
Rookie

United States
East Coast
Jol should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Richard, I'm planning on the Summit event, and if I can swap out the YBM 2L I'd love to make Monterey. My car ran the Historics in '94.

Jol
Old 4 Feb 2005, 15:21 (Ref:1217482)   #6
rdrcr
Rookie

United States
So. CA
Jol,

Did we get an entry form out to you? If not, please inquire again! We are really working hard to get all the Sports Racing cars we can at Monterey - the larger the field, the better the show in that Group = more press and featuring in the event.

Thanks for your interest!
Old 30 Mar 2005, 18:51 (Ref:1265577)   #7
vicky37
Rookie

vicky37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
info on race

hi richard, i own a chevron B38 and would like an entry form for the Oulton Park event and any available info please.

Vva37@aol.com

Alex Ames
Old 31 Mar 2005, 07:56 (Ref:1265983)   #8
Ted Walker
Veteran

Ted Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alex Talk with Helen Malkie Ive spoken to her about your car already
Old 19 Jun 2005, 13:31 (Ref:1332845)   #9
Jol
Rookie

United States
East Coast
Hey... Where was everyone?

The Jefferson 500 was great, quite a few Chevron entries but no sign of any Chevron celebration. Joe Buzzetta had the Red Rose car there.

Jol
Old 1 Jul 2005, 07:35 (Ref:1344486)   #10
Ted Walker
Veteran

Ted Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just had a quick look at the races for Monterey and cant recall seeing a Chevron race what are the planned events there ????
Old 14 Jul 2005, 23:42 (Ref:1355855)   #11
rdrcr
Rookie

United States
So. CA
Jol,

Cris was no doubt up to his eyeballs in his new position with that race and there wasn't the time nor the staff to provide what would be a complete setup for hospitality for Chevron owners. Just so you know, organizers have been quite busy with some intervening personal matters. Thanks for your participation and interest.

Ted,

There should be some semblance of the spread that was put out at the June Historics at Fontana. Though certainly without the HSR-West promos. Group 6 for the Monterey Historics is predominantly comprised of Chevrons with a few Lolas and some other cars thrown into the mix. As you know, the Historics are a "approved" entry meeting - therefore certain accommodations are made from time to time. Not such a bad field with 27 Chevron Sports Racers ehh?...

There should be a tent with appropriate signage, Chevron racing footage of yore on DVD, complimentary storyboards for Chevron entrants and some hospitality as such as it is permitted.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 23:46 (Ref:1355858)   #12
rdrcr
Rookie

United States
So. CA
Group 6B

Old 15 Jul 2005, 11:35 (Ref:1356148)   #13
Dan Rear
Veteran

Anyone know any details re the entry for the Chevron Gold Cup races in August, I'm esp keen to see which single seaters turn up. MS says King Brian's bringing a B42 from the States, which one is this I wonder, maybe the Ago/Brill car which I believe is over there ?
Old 15 Jul 2005, 17:05 (Ref:1356395)   #14
jamesl
Racer

jamesl has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Does anybody know what the cut off age is for the prototype Chevron sports car race at the Gold Cup?
Also are there restrictions on running period engines?
Old 18 Aug 2005, 21:07 (Ref:1385848)   #15
PRF
Racer

PRF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gone rather quiet on this subject considering the 28/29th August is but around the corner.

The Burnley flyer is indeed crossing the pond to celebrate this special occassion. Redman is to Chevron as Clark is to Lotus - they go hand in hand.

I'll be there just to see those lovely B16 coupe's.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 20:42 (Ref:1387789)   #16
james s
Rookie

United Kingdom
Alton,Hants
james s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just got regs for the gold cup,Brian Redman is down to drive a b16 in the closed wheeled race and a b42 in the open wheeled race,with Simon Hadfield in his b40.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 12:51 (Ref:1394464)   #17
Dan Rear
Veteran

Any thoughts on the weekend chaps, I was there Monday only, and thought it was great. Both Chevron races were good, and there were some v interesting cars/people to see.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 13:23 (Ref:1394485)   #18
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some beautiful cars on track..I'd share but my website is down
Old 30 Aug 2005, 21:12 (Ref:1394918)   #19
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear
Any thoughts on the weekend chaps, I was there Monday only, and thought it was great. Both Chevron races were good, and there were some v interesting cars/people to see.
yeh had a great day out on monday, the weather in the morning meant for interesting viewing at old hall as everyone whacked on the oposite lock, it also muddled the grids up providing exciting racing all though the day.

i wish i had a longer lens for my camera or id have furnished you lot with pictures!

the sound of the f5000's was splendid! *dribbles*
Old 5 Sep 2005, 21:09 (Ref:1399851)   #20
PRF
Racer

PRF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bit slow on this thread and not up to speed. Went on the Sunday. Fantastic venue and a brilliant event. Witnessed some really hard racing particularly from Simon Hadfield in his F5000 Chevron and John Crowson in his Ensign MN177.

Called and had a closer look at one of Mo Nunn's creations, meaning John Crowson's Ensign. Who should I bump into, non other than the chap who attempted to qualify the car at the British Grand Prix at Brands in 1978. It was a real pleasure to see Geoff again. Spoke for nearly an hour to him. He is thinking of making a come back in this type of Formula - Historics.

High light for me was seeing Brian Redman with his Chevron B16. Also John Burton winning the Chevron closed wheel contest on Sunday.

I must admit those Chevrons all seem to be beautiful be it B16, B19 or B23. Lovely.

Great machinery, great driving and a pleasure to meet up with like minded spectators.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 00:28 (Ref:1411828)   #21
Jol
Rookie

United States
East Coast
Photos?

there must be some photo links for us who could not attend...?

Jol