Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 21 Aug 2008, 18:37 (Ref:2272877)   #326
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah just got the press release through from A1GP. It reads in full as follows:

A1GP Delays Start of Season Four

London, Great Britain – A1GP World Cup of Motorsport has moved A1GP Mugello, Italy from the opening round of the 2008/09 championship following a delay in the build schedule of the new chassis. The first time all the nations will be seen in action will now be on the 4 – 5 October at A1GP Zandvoort, Netherlands.

The series set itself a tight schedule with less than 11 months to design, build and test the new car and make sure all the teams received identical machinery. Any delays in the schedule were always going to impact on the ability to deliver to all the teams. “It was always going to be an optimistic programme but we were confident we could achieve it. This in no way reflects on the work undertaken by the technical team and our partners, as it was due to circumstances beyond their control. I also want to thank all our technical partners for their support during our intensive testing programme, and especially Ferrari for the supply of engines,” said A1GP Chief Executive Officer, Pete da Silva.

“We now have to concentrate on what we have ahead of us rather than behind. We still have some great announcements to make. In the near future we shall be able to announce our full race calendar, as well as some deals that will enhance the overall package we are presenting to our fans for Season Four,” said da Silva.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 19:38 (Ref:2272918)   #327
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a shame, but at least now there's a month unti the Donington test to get all the cars together and delivered to teams. Better that than only having machinery available for half of the grid and cars bursting into flame during test sessions (hello Superleague!).
Old 22 Aug 2008, 07:40 (Ref:2273158)   #328
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for posting that jonbryant.

Perhaps Mugello can now fill the rediculously long gap that will occur when Jakarta gets cancelled.
Old 22 Aug 2008, 08:30 (Ref:2273180)   #329
F3 Rocks
Racer

Wales
F3 Rocks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
Thanks for posting that jonbryant.

Perhaps Mugello can now fill the rediculously long gap that will occur when Jakarta gets cancelled.
I heard Mugello's new date is 26/04/09, and Jakarta has been replaced by Chengdu Goldenport Circuit, China. Even more exciting the TBA is Interlagos, Brazil.
Old 22 Aug 2008, 08:56 (Ref:2273193)   #330
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chengdu? Really? Looking at Asian F. BMW footage it hardly looks suitable for A1GP level, and not a great location for sponsors/corporate hospitality...

Article about Malaysia's car build here - http://www.f1sa.com/index.php?option...550&Itemid=219

When is the Donington test by the way?
Old 22 Aug 2008, 09:38 (Ref:2273220)   #331
Francis Albert
Racer

Francis Albert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Donington is scheduled (for now!) for September 9-11.

That new date for Mugello is the week before the final round in the UK. In the past A1GP struggled with back to back events like that, even in Europe so they might try something else. But maybe they have no choice, who knows.

It might make sense to move Mugello to 2 or 3 weeks after Zandvoort but I don't know if that's possible.
Old 22 Aug 2008, 12:35 (Ref:2273313)   #332
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a gut feeling that the proposed Great Britain round will not happen this season. Still no news on the venue-and what with Mugello being postponed, I could see that round taking the place of the GB one.

Im sure all will be revealed sooner or later!
Old 23 Aug 2008, 03:47 (Ref:2273639)   #333
Lam Pak
Veteran

Lam Pak has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
thats banging. look in caseu mis-understanded exactly what they told u. jakarta street race is in calendar. chengdu is not ready to get a1gp. the earthquake radiation are not healthy and asia supercar Gt championship and formula asia 2.0 cancelled the races there.

a1gp is dodging again to hav a definitive calendar.
Old 23 Aug 2008, 09:49 (Ref:2273764)   #334
F3 Rocks
Racer

Wales
F3 Rocks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lam Pak
thats banging. look in caseu mis-understanded exactly what they told u. jakarta street race is in calendar. chengdu is not ready to get a1gp. the earthquake radiation are not healthy and asia supercar Gt championship and formula asia 2.0 cancelled the races there.

a1gp is dodging again to hav a definitive calendar.
The teams have now been notified of Chengdu Goldenport Circuit replacing Jakarta with Jakarta rescheduled for later
Old 23 Aug 2008, 10:27 (Ref:2273785)   #335
Francis Albert
Racer

Interesting.

If Jakarta is to be rescheduled does that mean there will be an extra round or is Chengdu effectively replacing Mugello? Any news on the rumoured race in Brazil?
Old 23 Aug 2008, 13:56 (Ref:2273836)   #336
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have heard that some of the new nations are to be prevented from entering A1 and may be forced into A2. I assume that is to make the new series kickstart
Old 25 Aug 2008, 13:41 (Ref:2275004)   #337
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anybody know if the A1GP test at Donington will be open to the public? I have emailed the circuit but have not yet had a reply.
Old 25 Aug 2008, 14:00 (Ref:2275011)   #338
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbaz_99
Does anybody know if the A1GP test at Donington will be open to the public? I have emailed the circuit but have not yet had a reply.
I'd also like to know that. If you do get an answer, please let us know

On the subject, does anyone know if Superleague Formula testing at Donington on Thursday is open to the public? I'd quite like to take a detour on the way to Brands Hatch DTM.
Old 26 Aug 2008, 10:01 (Ref:2275473)   #339
Francis Albert
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3 Rocks
The teams have now been notified of Chengdu Goldenport Circuit replacing Jakarta with Jakarta rescheduled for later
Well, there you go!
Old 26 Aug 2008, 11:54 (Ref:2275540)   #340
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
kerrmanningjarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, it's not a bad schedule now, but 3 things must be done:

1. Plug the 2 month gap between Malaysia and New Zealand with a race
2. Put Mugello between Algarve and Great Britain
3. Confirm the venues for Great Britain and TBA

Then it's sorted
Old 26 Aug 2008, 12:13 (Ref:2275555)   #341
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just received Sky mag for September.Seems was published before Mugello postponment? Anyway news for those with the necessary equipment coverage will be in HD.
Glad I have not booked my flight to Jakata!
Old 27 Aug 2008, 03:03 (Ref:2276021)   #342
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
The chopping and changing is a worry.

I don't believe for a second that the Jakarta date change is to fit in with Chengdu. I cannot believe Jakarta would have been ready in time and I still struggle to believe it will happen in Feb.

Chengdu is a strange decision as well. In the press release TT speaks of being "invited" by the Chinese government to race there. I can only assume that the Chinese government is paying sanctioning fees for the China round and A1GP will race at whichever location the government decides. The Chengdu circuit is a bit small however and doesn't have great facilities or runoff, also I don't think a Ferrari Festival would make sense there either. Zhuhai was well attended last year and seemed a great success, and there would have been a large Ferrari owners club turnout from Hong Kong. All very bizarre...

And why is Mugello gone completely instead of just being delayed???

What we are left with now is only three events this year, large gaps in the calender and some odd venues...
Old 27 Aug 2008, 08:12 (Ref:2276078)   #343
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure if we had a source who could let us know how well the Mugello tickets were shifting, then that may be the answer...i don't know, just guessing of course...

It must be said though that by season 4 i would have expected the series to be a little more slick than this...
Old 27 Aug 2008, 09:36 (Ref:2276155)   #344
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Spider, sadly this is
A1GP ver 2.0, not
A1GP ver 1.4

and, like Kiwi says, I guess whoever pays the sanction fee decides where they play and if there is a lack of venues willing to pay the $3 - 5 million US that I think I saw mentioned elsewhere then gaps will start to appear in the calender.

this Chengdu place - FIA grade1(T) then?

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 27 Aug 2008 at 09:40.
Old 27 Aug 2008, 10:11 (Ref:2276175)   #345
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's strange/risky/impressive that the series is reinventing itself after a successful first innings.
I was chauffering around a few people in the know prior to the Brands WTCC raceday and they were taking joy from A1's continued financial losses and the lack of additional seat holders, the same people mentioned that it wasn't Brands' track that was the issue, more that they couldn't work with/work-out an agreement with the track owners. I'm sure it was just rumours, you know what the motorsport travelling circus is like...
Old 28 Aug 2008, 12:37 (Ref:2276844)   #346
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
I'm sure Mugello will happen, just later on...

The worry is the 9 week gap between Sepang and Taupo... that is a huge gap.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 14:21 (Ref:2276897)   #347
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Two races in China with one at Zhuhai filling the nine week gap would be nice, it seems no chance of that happening, I guess Zhuhai don't want to pay the sanctioning fee being asked.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 17:36 (Ref:2276965)   #348
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
The race on 14th December is on Zhuhai's official website calendar, by the way... then again, Brno's calendar had A1GP on it before the calendar was announced so who knows?
Old 29 Aug 2008, 00:10 (Ref:2277186)   #349
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trust me with Brands its GP circuit safety issues.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 15:47 (Ref:2279485)   #350
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1 have refined the "rookie" rules for this season - basically you're not one if you've competed in F1, GP2, CCWS, FNippon or the IRL. Makes a bit more sense IMO.