Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Oct 2005, 08:33 (Ref:1434226)   #1
grandprixdiary
Racer

grandprixdiary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When do I sleep ?!

Unless I stay up most of the night, I'd like ITV to tell me how, if they show qualifying from China so late (it finishes at 0040) then when are we supposed to watch it ? The race starts at 0600 !

Why not show it at lunchtime ? Is 'The Planets Funniest Animals' considered more important ?

Rob
Old 15 Oct 2005, 08:35 (Ref:1434228)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just watch the race.

You know what the grid is now.
Old 15 Oct 2005, 09:37 (Ref:1434248)   #3
Halsey
Racer

Brazil
Tasmania
Halsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heh, I consider you lucky to have the option of watching qualy... I have to resort to watching the live timing
Old 15 Oct 2005, 11:18 (Ref:1434308)   #4
bastinscully
Racer

England
Oxford
bastinscully should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All I hope for is that next year all the flyaway quallys will be live on at least one of the four ITV channels next year!!!(ITV4 launches in November) and the stories are true about Steve ryder being anchorman, at last a man who intrested in F1!!
Old 15 Oct 2005, 12:49 (Ref:1434351)   #5
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One for the Brits - what time does coverage start on ITV? I don't finish work until 6:30am, and won't be home until 7 - I fear I'd miss most of the race...
Old 15 Oct 2005, 12:55 (Ref:1434354)   #6
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe the race starts at 7am, so you will be fine.
Old 15 Oct 2005, 13:28 (Ref:1434370)   #7
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Getting up at 7Am on a Sunday to watch a race is not so bad. That's what I have to do for every Eropean race. Not as bad as the 3AM Malaysia race. Today, (or should I say, tomorrow) I'll be watching the race from 1AM onwards.
Old 15 Oct 2005, 13:41 (Ref:1434377)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm going to watch the qualifying then Sky+ the race. SO whatever hour of the day I decide to get up and I can just begin watching it then.
Old 15 Oct 2005, 14:03 (Ref:1434390)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I used to get up at 4AM to watch races live, When I lived in SoCa..
Old 15 Oct 2005, 14:11 (Ref:1434396)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is an absolute joke, but this is what we have to make do with.

Bring back F1 Digital.
Old 15 Oct 2005, 15:21 (Ref:1434425)   #11
Bellof
Racer

South Africa
South Africa
Bellof should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that's the only thing I like about the single lap qualy, I don't have to worry about what time I won't watch it...
Old 15 Oct 2005, 17:25 (Ref:1434481)   #12
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah - 'early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy wealth and more likely to enjoy the coverage ' - I got the bacon in the fridge ready for the early start.
Old 15 Oct 2005, 17:28 (Ref:1434484)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I nearly slept in for the Japanese GP last week.......got up at 5:15, put the telly on and immediately fell asleep. Bloody woke up as the cars formed on the grid for the start. Lucky escape.

I blame the pre-race ramblings of Jardine personally. Such incorrect, bland and uninformative analysis tends to put one to sleep.
Old 15 Oct 2005, 17:43 (Ref:1434501)   #14
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You poor boys. Every European starts at 6am where I live. Here are some suggestions:

- VCR..... seriously. You can watch the race whenever you want....

That's all. Well, either that or get up early! Quit complaining.
Old 15 Oct 2005, 17:45 (Ref:1434503)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I VCR them anywways, regardless!

Seriously, we are lucky in Europe because we only have to get up early for the races that are usually exciting.

You guys in the other timescale have to get up early for such dross as the Spanish Grand Prix.
Old 15 Oct 2005, 17:48 (Ref:1434504)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
You can never beat watching it live.

I watch any sport if its live, there is something unique about watching sport "as it happens", ill watch any sport if its live, athletics, football, skiing etc.
Old 15 Oct 2005, 17:52 (Ref:1434506)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

As long as you have no idea what has happened, you can watch events slightly delayed without too much annoyance.

Having said that, I'm pretty strict about watching the live thing!

The only time my enthusiasm for the live show has waned was the later end of the 2002 season......even then, I forced myself to watch, despite the obvious fact I was wasting my life when I could have been watching other, more thrilling events like the World Glacier Movement Observation championships.
Old 15 Oct 2005, 19:05 (Ref:1434539)   #18
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I guess it's easier to ignore results out here because Formula 1 isn't nearly as popular as it is in Europe. It's not all over the news, though sometimes I have to turn the radio off before they do the sports if I haven't watched the tape yet...
Old 15 Oct 2005, 20:48 (Ref:1434603)   #19
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Talking of 'taping' the races..my Sky+ went on the knack last weekend. I still have yet to see this classic Japanese GP.
Old 15 Oct 2005, 21:48 (Ref:1434630)   #20
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
As long as you have no idea what has happened, you can watch events slightly delayed without too much annoyance.
I had no problem watching the Japanese gp at 4:30 last week
Old 15 Oct 2005, 22:16 (Ref:1434644)   #21
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Now that I have moved to nr Calgary (that Canada one, not the Scotland one ) the European races usually start at 6am, sometimes 5am. Today's race starts at midnight tonight (i.e. the one joining Saturday and Sunday).

I love it.

The hanging around until the middle of the day used to drive me insane.
Old 15 Oct 2005, 22:20 (Ref:1434646)   #22
Hip Priest
Racer

Hip Priest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always like to watch a race live.

Watching it later, even if I don't know the result, never feels the same. Can't put my finger on why, but it just doesn't.

I missed the Japanese GP last week due to having slept in, so I will have my alarm on this time!
Old 15 Oct 2005, 22:31 (Ref:1434655)   #23
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I agree, watching live is the only option if it is reasonably possible, with watching it delayed with no knowledge of events being very much a second choice. Below that, but deeply undesirable, is watching delayed but knowing results (something I have so far managed to avoid, but with odd close calls).

I think it "not being the same" comes down to knowing that, whilst you may not know what is going to happen, what you are going to see cannot happen any other way. When you watch it live anything could happen, but watching it delayed means only one thing can happen.

People can play word games with the above paragraph, I could right now. I just cannot be bothered to write swaths of sentences defining what I mean each term to mean and so on. So, please people, resist the urge to be awkward and just interpret it to mean what it clearly is meant to.

If you try to do that, but nonetheless remain in doubt...well, by all means bring up the confusion.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 01:04 (Ref:1434691)   #24
bigjon
Racer

bigjon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the suggestion about Steve Rider serious!!!????

That would be fantastic!
Old 16 Oct 2005, 02:30 (Ref:1434713)   #25
LiveandLetDrive
Rookie

LiveandLetDrive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't have Speed Channel at my house, so I just got back from watching the second showing of Qualifying at Buffalo Wild Wings (Great wings/sports bar place) $16 for food and drink is entirely too much just for qualifying Unforunately they're not open late enough to watch the race which starts at 1:30 tonight so I'm getting someone to tape it for me.

I need to make some friends with premium cable!