Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 4 Oct 2003, 08:08 (Ref:740096)   #1
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kato Inducted into MotoGP Hall of Fame

Quote:
Daijiro Kato will forever be remembered as being one of the greatest 250cc riders in racing history, and as such has been honoured as a MotoGP legend and inducted into the MotoGP Hall of Fame at Twin Ring Motegi in Japan.

The Japanese star won the 250cc World Championship in 2001 in dominating fashion, winning 11 of the 16 rounds, an all-time record for the class, as well as setting a new record points-total in the process with 322.
His statistics in the quarter-litre category speak for themselves, having won 17 out of the 37 250cc Grands Prix he took part in, making him the most successful Japanese rider ever along with Tetsuya Harada. He earned the Rookie of the Year title in 2002 when he stepped up to the MotoGP class, establishing himself as Japan's greatest hope of winning the coveted premier-class title for the first time.

Kato tragically died on April 20th 2003 after an accident at the first round of the MotoGP World Championships in Suzuka. The cause of his fall is still to be established.

Kato is the 16th MotoGP Legend. The MotoGP Hall of Fame was created to pay homage to the people who make up the history of the oldest motorsports World Championship, its first edition having taken place back in 1949.

Since its launch in 2000, a series of exceptional riders from Grand Prix racing have been nominated as MotoGP Legends and inducted as members of this MotoGP Hall of Fame.

Each of them has had an induction ceremony at one of the GPs, at which a unique silver medal recognising the honour is presented to the new member.

The members inducted to this exclusive club so far have been Mick Doohan, Giacomo Agostini, Angel Nieto, Mike Hailwood, Kenny Roberts, Kevin Schwantz, Wayne Rainey, Carlo Ubbiali, Freddie Spencer, Anton Mang, Wayne Gardner, Barry Sheene, Geoff Duke, Phil Read and John Surtees.

Daijiro Kato - MotoGP Legend:

Birth date: 04/07/1976
Birth place: Saitama
First Grand Prix: 1996 JPN 250cc
First podium: 1996 JPN 250cc
First Grand Prix victory: 1997 JPN 250cc
Grand Prix victories: 17
2nd Placements: 5
3rd Placements: 5
Podiums: 27
World Championship wins: 1
Old 4 Oct 2003, 20:09 (Ref:740561)   #2
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How long before Valentino Rossi is in that list?
Old 5 Oct 2003, 07:52 (Ref:740808)   #3
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
not good enough to make it ......

katoh becoming a "moto gp legend" is good for his memory - does this mean every world champion will eventually become a "motogp legend"
Old 5 Oct 2003, 10:11 (Ref:740877)   #4
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
gomick, in theory yes it will. If you win a championship, you deserve to be called a legend.
Old 5 Oct 2003, 15:47 (Ref:741108)   #5
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
I think Katoh was one of the most talented riders I have seen in FIM GPs, and his terrible accident was my personal lowest point in many years of watching 50cc, 80cc, 125cc, 250cc, 500cc and MotoGP.

But...

I'm not sure at all he is in the same league of "legendry" that all those semi-gods. He died too young, and it is the saddest thing from a sport point of view: we were robbed of his probably brilliant future.

He reminds me of Gilles Villeneuve: a huge loss, probably the worse has ever had.

RIP, Katoh, and forgive me if you are reading this from "there".
Old 5 Oct 2003, 16:44 (Ref:741130)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Despite all of Daijiro's potential, he looks a bit out of plac ein that list, alongside so many multiple champions. Realistically, he wasn't as good as any of them, although he oculdn've become great in MotoGP, as his showings in late 2002 on the 4-stroke Hodna showed.
Old 5 Oct 2003, 20:27 (Ref:741290)   #7
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Schummy
I think Katoh was one of the most talented riders I have seen in FIM GPs, and his terrible accident was my personal lowest point in many years of watching 50cc, 80cc, 125cc, 250cc, 500cc and MotoGP.

But...

I'm not sure at all he is in the same league of "legendry" that all those semi-gods. He died too young, and it is the saddest thing from a sport point of view: we were robbed of his probably brilliant future.

He reminds me of Gilles Villeneuve: a huge loss, probably the worse has ever had.

RIP, Katoh, and forgive me if you are reading this from "there".

I think he was more like Stefan Bellof. Both showed huge promise but died before we could see how good they were
Old 6 Oct 2003, 05:09 (Ref:741526)   #8
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think kato is a true motogp legend

Lets not forget he won more races in a season then ever before, he record in 250s will stand for a very very long time. RIP Kato one of motogp's greats!
Old 6 Oct 2003, 05:30 (Ref:741537)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All you have to do is look at Kato’s 250cc career and you see how special he was…
Old 6 Oct 2003, 05:47 (Ref:741543)   #10
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
true, 17 wins from 36 starts in 250cc moto gp
Old 6 Oct 2003, 08:01 (Ref:741598)   #11
Winther
Racer

Winther should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah amazing riding for sure.
Rest well.