Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Apr 2005, 15:38 (Ref:1287018)   #51
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group'C'
Would Jim's car be the one that Peter Sportelli built?? 'Camaroz'
GC,

Sorry to take so long to get back. Been at Oran Park for the weekend.

The Dick Midgley Lumina that Jim drove at Bathurst was the dedicated 'Road Course' car for that season. I'm not sure where it came from but probably from one of Dick's West Coast teams.

This is the car that was sold to Graeme Smith (1) and was T-Boned at the AGP by Dumbrell and Howe.

The Sportelli built Tropic Coast Lumina ended up at Fastrack and is still doing good duty!!!

I still have the Walter Giles Lumina.
Old 25 Apr 2005, 23:51 (Ref:1287491)   #52
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From memory i think the Midgley Lumina was the ex-Brad Jones car, they may have bought his other Lumina as well, to go along with the Pontiac Grand Prix they already had.
Old 26 Apr 2005, 04:35 (Ref:1287566)   #53
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
From memory i think the Midgley Lumina was the ex-Brad Jones car, they may have bought his other Lumina as well, to go along with the Pontiac Grand Prix they already had.
I checked some notes quickly and some old photos. The Lumina was first bought in from the US (NASCAR West Tour) to run as the Detroit Gasket car for an American driver Brad someone who trowled it coming out of 3 near the end of one of the night races - USA - AUS Challenge. It was then fixed by Midgleys crew (including Warwick deRose) to become a dedicated road course car for Jim.

This car was the fastest down Conrod (with a steel roof anyway).

Not sure what happened to Brad's Lumina (s) - did he have two? One was an ex-Jeff Gordon (Display?) car though I have a feeling that one of the Jones Luminas might have became a ride car for Kim Jane.

Last edited by Camaroz; 26 Apr 2005 at 04:38.
Old 27 Apr 2005, 06:20 (Ref:1288257)   #54
brendan24688
Racer

brendan24688 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in 2004 Marcos Ambrose hit 302km/h. that has to be the fastest V8 supercar
Old 28 Apr 2005, 02:37 (Ref:1289084)   #55
Growling Ferret
Racer

Growling Ferret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by prn 31
Btw, as for the road registered Toranas hitting 300km/h in the Flying Fifth. I was there (manning driveways) in 86 (pre the chase) and I remember the ACT registered Torana A9X, which I think was double entered. Both drivers recorded 264Km/h, which is still mightily impressive!
I was walking to the old man last night, and he said the Stenhouse A9X went through the flying 200 metres at an average of 164mph, topping out at 172mph through the end of the speed trap.

That correlates with prn 31's recollection - so I believe him!

As far as I'm concerned, fighting a road going A9X at 270kmh plus would have taken a mountain more brave pills than a million dollar race prepped V8 Supercar at 302kmh!
Old 28 Apr 2005, 03:21 (Ref:1289096)   #56
jaytor
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
jaytor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brendan are you sure?????That's the first I've heard, I thought it was impossible with the diff ratio they used last year...............
Old 28 Apr 2005, 03:49 (Ref:1289107)   #57
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is impossible unless they cheated.

3.25 diff and 7500 is 296km/h and no more.

And that is also why i still question the Seton thing.

If they had the proper diff ratio and rev limit, it is not possible to go over 296km/h.
Old 28 Apr 2005, 04:38 (Ref:1289113)   #58
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazz
If they had the proper diff ratio and rev limit, it is not possible to go over 296km/h.
I have no expertise in this matter at all, but I wouldn't have thought that the diff ratio and rev limit would make this 296k's limit set like some unbreakable wall. A 1% expansion in tyre diameter possibly caused by centrifugal force and heat would put the car over 300, and a 1% error in the speedgun would see the car at 299.96k's (approximately, of course). I can think of a few other variables as well. Maybe I'm off track, and 296 is absolute top whack, no matter what.
Old 28 Apr 2005, 05:07 (Ref:1289116)   #59
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But if the variable was there, then every year it would happen instead of them simply banging away at the rev limiter at 296!

Maybe Seton had access to a few extra revs somehow.
Old 28 Apr 2005, 05:10 (Ref:1289117)   #60
White Knight

The cars don't reach flat stick on Conrod anyway, terminal speed is determined by Forrest Elbow exit speed. Seton was clocked at 304 kmh in the Ford Credit EL by radar.

Old 28 Apr 2005, 05:22 (Ref:1289120)   #61
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazz
Maybe Seton had access to a few extra revs somehow.
That's another variable. Is it possible that a non-tampered-with rev limiter could fluctuate just a little, and the 7500 cut-out might go just a few revs over? I've got no expertise in computer programming either, so maybe '7500' is exactly that, and not one revolution more.
Old 28 Apr 2005, 05:42 (Ref:1289126)   #62
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight
The cars don't reach flat stick on Conrod anyway, terminal speed is determined by Forrest Elbow exit speed. Seton was clocked at 304 kmh in the Ford Credit EL by radar.
That used to be true, but in the last couple of years there have been a number of cars banging away at the hard cut for up to 3-4 seconds prior to the kink at the Chase on a hot lap... even in race trim I believe
Old 29 Apr 2005, 12:57 (Ref:1290094)   #63
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroz
I checked some notes quickly and some old photos. The Lumina was first bought in from the US (NASCAR West Tour) to run as the Detroit Gasket car for an American driver Brad someone who trowled it coming out of 3 near the end of one of the night races - USA - AUS Challenge. It was then fixed by Midgleys crew (including Warwick deRose) to become a dedicated road course car for Jim.

This car was the fastest down Conrod (with a steel roof anyway).

Not sure what happened to Brad's Lumina (s) - did he have two? One was an ex-Jeff Gordon (Display?) car though I have a feeling that one of the Jones Luminas might have became a ride car for Kim Jane.
The Detroit Gaskets car was raced by Tracy Leslie and I think that was an ex-Harry Gant car. Also, I think the story about the second Brad Jones Lumina (yes, he did have two) was that it was Gordon's 1994 Coca-Cola 600-winning car. I can't remember if Jones had the car in time for the USA-AUS Challenge or not, but I'm pretty sure he ran the old car at that meeting (funnily enough, that USA-AUS Challenge was the first race meeting I ever went to!). Brad got his first Lumina in 1992 and I think he only ever did the Surfers NASCAR races in it to start with until he made the switch to NASCAR full-time.
Old 30 Apr 2005, 01:49 (Ref:1290436)   #64
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahh it's coming back to me.

Morgan Shephard was out here for that race as well wasn't he? And Tracy Leslie was leading (or with the leaders at least) before putting it into the wall at turn 1.

Although it ultimatly died in the end, you couldn't fault Bob Jane for effort. Bringing out the American's for the AUS v USA races, getting the likes of Kevin Schwantz and Wayne Gardner into cars, and from the early to mid 90s when there were full grids, some of the best racing in Australia.

I think that is right about Jones, doing the Surfers races for 2 years prior to stepping up fulltime for the 94-95 series.
Old 30 Apr 2005, 02:46 (Ref:1290450)   #65
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Although it ultimatly died in the end, you couldn't fault Bob Jane for effort.
Absolutely. The day we went, the tickets weren't too expensive, all the staff we encountered were very friendly and you weren't charged extra to have a wander around the paddock. That was brilliant in itself! Dad got to have a chat with Mick Webb, I got to see all the cars at (relatively) close quarters and a quick trip through a garage and up the embankment and were were able to see a HQ being tested on the road circuit.

My family and I were down at Turn 3 for the NASCAR races (turn 2 for everything else) so we missed the two accidents at the end of the race (there was Leslie's and didn't Thomas have one as well?). I think the last one set up a three lap shootout to the finish between Dumsney, Jones and Jimmy Hensley. All in all, a good day was had by all!
Old 19 May 2016, 01:51 (Ref:3642754)   #66
TAIPAN
Rookie

TAIPAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
fastest conrod speed

1968 Scuderia Veloce Ferrari P4 driven by Bill Brown 181.9 mph 305 kmh
I was there on that day
Old 25 May 2016, 02:15 (Ref:3644221)   #67
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know not a car, but I read that in 1976, a Japanese rider named Ikujiro Takai was clocked at 192 mph which equates to 309 kmh, on a TZ 750 Yamaha.

Jeff

Old 25 May 2016, 10:28 (Ref:3644283)   #68
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lowndes ran a 1m49 lap in a McLaren F1, when he and Button swapped cars for the Vodafone promo run in 2011.

Any ideas what the top speed of that lap may have been?
Old 25 May 2016, 11:10 (Ref:3644292)   #69
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Update: Lowndes reckoned he hit 310 km/h through the chase in the McLaren; but with better suited gearing it could have been up to 360 km/h:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/motorspo...-1226032173095
Old 30 Dec 2017, 21:44 (Ref:3789869)   #70
Holden308
Rookie

Holden308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by prn 31 View Post
Who knows that those 427 Munros could've done if they were really extended?
That would have been interesting to see. Even at half to three-quarter throttle and only revving to around 5,300 they were still doing 280 during qualifying (driven hard they could safely take those 427 engines to around 6,200 rpm apparently). The unfortunate thing is that the Monaro's were never driven as hard as they could have been.....not even in the Nations Cup sprint races. They only went as fast as the opposition dictated.

In all honesty they should have lapped Bathurst in around 2:05 and their top speed on Conrod should have easily been around or over the 300 mark. And the reason for that was that (using the Le Mans class system of the time as a guide), they were a GTS car in a GT race/series. Sure there was the 8.0L V10 Viper in NC and the 6.0L V12 Lamborghini, but the Viper ACR was a very much watered down version of the GTS-R that had won outright at the Daytona 24 Hour and won the GTS class at Le Mans a few times, while the Lambo, unlike the Monaro, wasn't a pure race car.

As for the actual top speeds on Conrod? I did hear years ago that Jim Richards was timed at 319 in his NASCAR.....which is a pretty impressive feat considering that they were on the brakes before The Chase. I also heard of Keith Carling's sports sedan being clocked at 314.

The fastest Group A car that I know of was Tony Longhurst in his Sierra when he reportedly hit 295 during qualifying (which was 2km/h actually faster than Skaife went in the GT-R 12 months later), while the fastest ever Group C tourer on Conrod was Tom Walkinshaw in Gossy's V12 Jaguar in 1984 when he allegedly hit 290 in early qualifying before they changed the diff to give more punch going up Mountain Straight.

Riding a motorbike on the old straight at speeds over 300 would have been pretty damn hairy. Going over the humps you'd literally fly.

However.....I think the top speed would likely have been Jenson Button in the McLaren Mercedes. If Lowndes was reported to hit 310 then I've no doubt that Jenson was quite a bit quicker.
Old 30 Dec 2017, 22:47 (Ref:3789874)   #71
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden308 View Post
However.....I think the top speed would likely have been Jenson Button in the McLaren Mercedes. If Lowndes was reported to hit 310 then I've no doubt that Jenson was quite a bit quicker.
Possible but unlikely - the McLaren was hard on the limiter from about half-way down the straight, regardless of who was driving.
Old 31 Dec 2017, 03:05 (Ref:3789899)   #72
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden308 View Post
That would have been interesting to see. Even at half to three-quarter throttle and only revving to around 5,300 they were still doing 280 during qualifying (driven hard they could safely take those 427 engines to around 6,200 rpm apparently). The unfortunate thing is that the Monaro's were never driven as hard as they could have been.....not even in the Nations Cup sprint races. They only went as fast as the opposition dictated.

In all honesty they should have lapped Bathurst in around 2:05 and their top speed on Conrod should have easily been around or over the 300 mark. And the reason for that was that (using the Le Mans class system of the time as a guide), they were a GTS car in a GT race/series. Sure there was the 8.0L V10 Viper in NC and the 6.0L V12 Lamborghini, but the Viper ACR was a very much watered down version of the GTS-R that had won outright at the Daytona 24 Hour and won the GTS class at Le Mans a few times, while the Lambo, unlike the Monaro, wasn't a pure race car.

Shortly after the first Bathurst 24hr Motor Magazine got their hands on the winning Monaro still battle scarred and AFAIK running in race trim. With Garth Tander driving it hit 307kmh at Avalon airport. Unknown was the distance required.

In regards to the Monaro being a GTS car-not quite. It may have had the GTS class Corvette engine but the chassis itself didn’t have the aero or suspension that GTS cars had. No idea if the Monaros ever saw a wind tunnel like the Corvette did. John Bowe would’ve really had something to complain had the Monaro been running GTS level brakes aero and suspension. It also weighed far more then a GTS class racer by at least a couple of hundred kilos. A car faster then those NGT cars but nowhere near a GTS class Corvette/Saleen/Ferrari etc.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 02:07 (Ref:3791645)   #73
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What speed did the Texaco Sierras get up to down Conrod? From memory there wasn't a Caltex Chase back then.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 02:09 (Ref:3791647)   #74
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
What speed did the Texaco Sierras get up to down Conrod? From memory there wasn't a Caltex Chase back then.
first year of the chase
Old 10 Jan 2018, 09:14 (Ref:3791682)   #75
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Around 280 I believe
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish