Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Jan 2012, 15:20 (Ref:3016225)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The 2012 Ferrari

The new Ferrari. Interesting bits in front of the side-pods.

http://www.auto.it/autosprint/formul...+martedi+su+AS
Old 24 Jan 2012, 18:15 (Ref:3016315)   #2
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to Babel Fish:

"In the design, the detail of the new fins integrated in the shockproof structure and that they are inspired to those of the McLaren Mp4-26 (to right)"
Old 24 Jan 2012, 19:06 (Ref:3016345)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Aren't the front wings narrower this year?
Old 24 Jan 2012, 19:21 (Ref:3016355)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Aren't the front wings narrower this year?
Nope. Only change to the front of the cars is that the nose has got to be lower.

In 2014, the cars will have 1650mm wide front wings instead of 1800mm wide front wings.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 21:14 (Ref:3016435)   #5
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Good for this year with the lower noses and good for getting back to the normal sized wings is a plus in my book. Bring on 2014! But before that, bring on 2012! Can't wait to see the sidepod solutions the teams go for.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 01:59 (Ref:3016577)   #6
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Good for this year with the lower noses and good for getting back to the normal sized wings is a plus in my book. Bring on 2014! But before that, bring on 2012! Can't wait to see the sidepod solutions the teams go for.
We'll see how this season shapes up after the first two tests and then again after Australia.

One thing I noted looking at the Ferrari is the size of the flat floor. It obvious an advantage to have that great big slab of carbon fibre extending outside the pods and back alongside the engine even though the bodywork tapers back in well inside the flat floor.
What happens if you can't have the floor extending beyond the bodywork....

A massive reduction in downforce?
Old 25 Jan 2012, 03:27 (Ref:3016588)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, it's not a secret any more... or was it ever a secret at all ?
Old 25 Jan 2012, 13:12 (Ref:3016761)   #8
luke g28
Racer

luke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridluke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
We'll see how this season shapes up after the first two tests and then again after Australia.

One thing I noted looking at the Ferrari is the size of the flat floor. It obvious an advantage to have that great big slab of carbon fibre extending outside the pods and back alongside the engine even though the bodywork tapers back in well inside the flat floor.
What happens if you can't have the floor extending beyond the bodywork....

A massive reduction in downforce?
More of an increase in drag and wake rather than a reduction in downforce. Though obviously downforce would decrease too.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 13:45 (Ref:3016788)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
The extent of the floor is the maximum that is allowed in the regulations. If you see more of it, it is because Ferrari have done a good job of making everything smaller that fits on top of it. The floor provides downforce (low pressure area) along with the diffuser, so it's best to keep it as large as possible for greatest effect.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 08:04 (Ref:3017639)   #10
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
The extent of the floor is the maximum that is allowed in the regulations. If you see more of it, it is because Ferrari have done a good job of making everything smaller that fits on top of it. The floor provides downforce (low pressure area) along with the diffuser, so it's best to keep it as large as possible for greatest effect.
I realise that. What I am suggesting is that teams are not allowed to extend the floor beyond the edge of the body work.

If they wanted a wide flat floor to the max permissible width the body would need to be wider too.
If you wanted a tight waist at the rear you would lose the advantage gained by the wider floor.
If you wanted a wide floor at the rear you would need a wider rear body reminescent of the 76-77 Ferrari 312.

There might be an optimum configuration but there would still be greater design compromise.
At the moment therre is little real design compromise at all.

Creating rules that force greater design compromise creates greater opportunity for the alternative innovative solution to the compromise to come to the fore because it forces designers to think outside the existing paradigms. Theres more scope for the outside the box solution to emerge, outside the box thinking to be rewarded.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 13:09 (Ref:3017772)   #11
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
It reminds me of the old Barnard type of coca cola bottle design. The winglets in front of the sidepods are unusual, for sure.

At least the bump on the nose is less pronounced than that hideous Caterham.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 14:31 (Ref:3017811)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
What I am suggesting is that teams are not allowed to extend the floor beyond the edge of the body work.

If they wanted a wide flat floor to the max permissible width the body would need to be wider too.
And then you get into the technicalities as to what constitutes 'bodywork'. A thin sheet of body coloured carbon fibre covering the areas of the floor that are visible, could technically be 'bodywork'.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 20:25 (Ref:3017931)   #13
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I realise that. What I am suggesting is that teams are not allowed to extend the floor beyond the edge of the body work.

If you wanted a tight waist at the rear you would lose the advantage gained by the wider floor.
If you wanted a wide floor at the rear you would need a wider rear body reminescent of the 76-77 Ferrari 312.

There might be an optimum configuration but there would still be greater design compromise.
At the moment therre is little real design compromise at all.

Creating rules that force greater design compromise creates greater opportunity for the alternative innovative solution to the compromise to come to the fore because it forces designers to think outside the existing paradigms. Theres more scope for the outside the box solution to emerge, outside the box thinking to be rewarded.
This sounds like a terrible and artificial rule, but on the other hand, f1 is all about artificial rules, so it would probably fit right in.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 05:48 (Ref:3018047)   #14
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
It reminds me of the old Barnard type of coca cola bottle design. The winglets in front of the sidepods are unusual, for sure.
The winglets are an interesting feature but I wonder how long it will take before they are banned?

It is very reminiscent of the John Barnard cars.
Old 29 Jan 2012, 11:20 (Ref:3018488)   #15
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The winglets are an interesting feature but I wonder how long it will take before they are banned?

It is very reminiscent of the John Barnard cars.
Not to be the cynic but when was the last time Ferrari AKA F1 had something declared illegal? I don't follow these things closely but I would think it would be a rare thing to happen seeing as they reckon F1 can't do without them. They threw a tantrum when it a four cylinder motor was envisaged and got that thrown out, such is their influence. I wonder how much influence they along with others had on the recent Lotus decision? There I go being cynical again.
Old 29 Jan 2012, 11:44 (Ref:3018497)   #16
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Not to be the cynic but when was the last time Ferrari AKA F1 had something declared illegal? I don't follow these things closely but I would think it would be a rare thing to happen seeing as they reckon F1 can't do without them. They threw a tantrum when it a four cylinder motor was envisaged and got that thrown out, such is their influence. I wonder how much influence they along with others had on the recent Lotus decision? There I go being cynical again.
I was thinking on the lines of the blown diffuser and the F-Duct. As soon as one team comes up with something that's too their advantage, all the other teams complain, want it to be banned and in the interim copy it.
Old 29 Jan 2012, 16:16 (Ref:3018543)   #17
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I was thinking on the lines of the blown diffuser and the F-Duct. As soon as one team comes up with something that's too their advantage, all the other teams complain, want it to be banned and in the interim copy it.
Ferrari don't innovate so we don't really know if they would have things banned if they did.

Ferrari's modus operandi is to copy everything and throw so much money at it that they can refine it to the point where it's better than the original.
Old 2 Feb 2012, 18:41 (Ref:3020560)   #18
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
Ferrari don't innovate so we don't really know if they would have things banned if they did.

Ferrari's modus operandi is to copy everything and throw so much money at it that they can refine it to the point where it's better than the original.
I see ten tenths hasn't changed much since I left.

Anyhow, I guess we shall see tomorrow how accurate that auto sprint drawing was. They had to cancel the launch due to snow, so it'll be web only.
Old 2 Feb 2012, 19:05 (Ref:3020580)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hey old friend how are you doing !
Old 2 Feb 2012, 19:08 (Ref:3020584)   #20
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Very well thanks Bon!

F1 has become exciting again, with all these great young drivers and the Pirelli tyres adding to the excitement.

Unfortunately for you guys, I'm back to cause trouble this season
Old 2 Feb 2012, 19:10 (Ref:3020587)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Welcome back, we're needing posters like you !
Old 2 Feb 2012, 20:17 (Ref:3020634)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Off sets posters like me
Old 3 Feb 2012, 07:17 (Ref:3020866)   #23
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the new Ferrari does'nt seem to be very aerodynamic

Old 3 Feb 2012, 08:21 (Ref:3020884)   #24
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Is this what they meant by being less conservative?
Old 3 Feb 2012, 08:33 (Ref:3020891)   #25
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to have another Canuck around. Welcome back!