Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 May 2017, 07:10 (Ref:3732596)   #51
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
AusGT Allow Tyre Warmers

But read the justification...

Is this a solution?
Possibly but that'll depend on Dunlop's view after the investigation of the tyres sent to Japan I would imagine. Tyre warming systems have long been outlawed in V8's - primarily on grounds of cost containment and also the challenge of cold tyres from a sporting point of view.

Need to bear in mind that F1 of course use tyre blankets and Pirelli has had the odd issue there too - remember the tyres disintegrating at Silverstone a few years ago?

Phillip Island clearly presents something of a challenge for tyre manufacturers - hopefully for Pirelli lessons learned last time will help this time and the same goes for Dunlop - neither has done a bad job necessarily, it's simply development of the product to suit extreme conditions.
Old 10 May 2017, 07:56 (Ref:3732611)   #52
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Out of interest, is the only place this supposed Bathurst tyre test has been mentioned is from the keyboard/mouth of James Phelps?
Old 11 May 2017, 02:08 (Ref:3732748)   #53
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty certain a Dunlop representative has spoken of the intention of testing and working with VASC to have it done at Bathurst or PI.
Maybe it was on Inside Supercars? I cant recall.
Old 11 May 2017, 05:10 (Ref:3732755)   #54
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
Power down tractions issues from the pilot, maybe?
Haha, nope.
Old 26 May 2017, 05:51 (Ref:3736097)   #55
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

The tyre warming box doesn't look particularly complex or expensive to put into place..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 26 May 2017, 06:47 (Ref:3736104)   #56
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Am I right in saying that the Bathurst tyre test day seems to have no legs whatsoever?
Old 28 May 2017, 05:15 (Ref:3736549)   #57
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Watching the Gt3 enduro race.. tyre issues with the pirelli.

Surely this may be suggesting its a track based issue, more than a tyre issue
Old 29 May 2017, 04:17 (Ref:3737026)   #58
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
How many cars had tyre issues?
Old 29 May 2017, 04:31 (Ref:3737027)   #59
T-star
Racer

T-star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One team. Zagame.

And McConville gave the reason. Nothing to do with tyre or track.

But Peckster knows all
Old 29 May 2017, 04:44 (Ref:3737029)   #60
StueyB83
Rookie

StueyB83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, to me it looked like some competitors experienced significant traction problems when the tyres made contact with wet surfaces.

Ash Samadi in particular found the Pirelli's didn't offer much grip on either asphalt, grass or mud!
Old 29 May 2017, 05:56 (Ref:3737041)   #61
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
dont have the answers, I was trusting the commentators at about lap 40 or so.

But with most of the later part of the race being wet there was less of an issue, as track boundries were not being pushed as much
Old 29 May 2017, 06:48 (Ref:3737047)   #62
T-star
Racer

you stated there was an issue. There was not. You are wrong but you won't admit it.

Trying to play the post and not the person as i got a warning from the admins for calling you a miserable **** last week

But you can't just go round making stuff up and backpedalling all the time!
Old 29 May 2017, 07:37 (Ref:3737054)   #63
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You know​ how in the animal world there's protected species, but some of them are also pests...?
Old 29 May 2017, 07:38 (Ref:3737055)   #64
StueyB83
Rookie

Around lap 40 was when they were talking to Cam McConville - and he was talking about a slow leak reported by the TPS in the front left tyre of his Lambo, at the time being driven my his co-driver. He cited the likely cause was a Pirelli tech not fitting a valve properly - not the tyre itself. "15 PSI is dangerously too low" he said or something along those lines as the car came in to pit shortly after.

If you watched the race - you'll not there were no delaminations, blow outs, etc as you saw last month - and there in all likelihood would never have been given that the Pirelli tyres did the distance in the last few 101's and this year has evolved to a more durable construction.
Old 29 May 2017, 07:47 (Ref:3737057)   #65
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by StueyB83 View Post

If you watched the race - you'll not there were no delaminations, blow outs, etc as you saw last month - and there in all likelihood would never have been given that the Pirelli tyres did the distance in the last few 101's and this year has evolved to a more durable construction.
Really? That would be in disagreement with this article from last years race

Pirelli launches investigation into GT failures

Right side front and rear, same as supercars this year

Quote:
Tyre failures are not uncommon at the demanding Phillip Island circuit which is notoriously hard on rubber.
Old 29 May 2017, 08:16 (Ref:3737062)   #66
StueyB83
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Really? That would be in disagreement with this article from last years race

Pirelli launches investigation into GT failures

Right side front and rear, same as supercars this year
Oops, looks like I fall on own my sword with that one Drew a mental blank about last year .

At the least I should own up to my inattentiveness
Old 29 May 2017, 08:27 (Ref:3737064)   #67
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-star View Post
you stated there was an issue. There was not. You are wrong but you won't admit it.

But you can't just go round making stuff up and backpedalling all the time!
i havent back pedalled.

The commentators were suggesting there may be issues with tyres. Mid race i communicated that on this forum. subsequent to that the rain appeared to have picked up and a lot more wet weather tyre use occurred
all i have done is inferred that it may be more of a track issue causing problem rather than the tyre manufacturer.

I have subsequently linked an article that refers to problems with pirellis last year, and that article also refers to problems with bridgestones in moto gp.

That's 3 manufacturers now who have had issues in recent years with tyres at PI, which might suggest there is an issue with the track that is causing excess stress on the tyres, especially it seems with the last corner, but maybe also due to camber and tyre pressures

Not sure why the need not to be civil about the issue

Last edited by peckstar; 29 May 2017 at 08:35.
Old 29 May 2017, 09:00 (Ref:3737073)   #68
T-star
Racer

Every time you edit a post I wonder what was or wasn't included originally
Old 29 May 2017, 09:08 (Ref:3737075)   #69
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Quote:
i havent back pedalled.

The commentators were suggesting there may be issues with tyres. Mid race i communicated that on this forum. subsequent to that the rain appeared to have picked up and a lot more wet weather tyre use occurred
all i have done is inferred that it may be more of a track issue causing problem rather than the tyre manufacturer.

I have subsequently linked an article that refers to problems with pirellis last year, and that article also refers to problems with bridgestones in moto gp.

That's 3 manufacturers now who have had issues in recent years with tyres at PI, which might suggest there is an issue with the track that is causing excess stress on the tyres, especially it seems with the last corner, but maybe also due to camber and tyre pressures

Not sure why the need not to be civil about the issue
Hey Fonzie, I know it goes against your entire being, but it's okay to say you were wrrr....wrrrr....wrrrooo......wrooonnnggg.
Old 29 May 2017, 09:11 (Ref:3737076)   #70
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-star View Post
Every time you edit a post I wonder what was or wasn't included originally
Usually typos. or adding more info.

sometimes i clean up an aggressive comment/response because it may be close to overstepping the rules of attacking a poster and i don't want to get another warning.

But its really not important, because the final post is important and editing achieves that.

Tyres though, seems to be a long history of problems on the track for multiple brands
Old 29 May 2017, 09:14 (Ref:3737077)   #71
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Hey Fonzie, I know it goes against your entire being, but it's okay to say you were wrrr....wrrrr....wrrrooo......wrooonnnggg.
Ive admitted ive been wrong many times. Have you?

But in this case where was i wrong? The commentators were discussing tyre issues, i passed the message along, my summary still stands
Old 29 May 2017, 12:54 (Ref:3737116)   #72
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pecky, to use your words:
Quote:
The commentators were suggesting there may be issues with tyres. Mid race i communicated that on this forum.
Your mid-race communication was:
Quote:
Watching the Gt3 enduro race.. tyre issues with the pirelli.
You changed "may be tyre issues" to "tyre issues", and dropping the "may be" significantly changes the readers' interpretation of the message. After all, if you were watching the race, you would know to that point there had been only one problem, later confirmed not a tyre construction issue.

The track was resurfaced back in 2013, and notably, after the Moto GP tyre dramas that occurred, V8SC felt the need to conduct a tyre test at PI before their race in November that year. Subsequently, with the exception of the GT race last year, I don't think there have been any abnormal rates of tyre failure until the VASC round in April this year.

I still think the big issue was the failure of VASC and/or the teams to get a tyre test done at the circuit supposed to be hardest on tyres, when there was a new construction tyre in play - particularly considering Dunlop advised before the season started that they would be advising less camber and higher pressures.

Whilst Phillip Island may be a tough circuit on tyres, I don't think it is right to infer that the circuit itself is the cause of the problem. The Moto GP and VASC events from 2014-2016 tend to back that up.
Old 29 May 2017, 21:35 (Ref:3737243)   #73
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Quote:
Ive admitted ive been wrong many times. Have you?
I once told a someone that you weren't a bad bloke, does that count?
Old 30 May 2017, 10:52 (Ref:3737344)   #74
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bridgestone in MotoGP, Dunlop in Supercars, Pirelli in GTs.....

All control tyre formula's....
Old 1 Jun 2017, 17:33 (Ref:3737970)   #75
simon5574
Rookie

simon5574 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
clearly an attack on the poster mayhem 😑

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk