Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 6 Jul 2002, 19:34 (Ref:328297)   #1
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Expect the unexpected?

As a mere (currently) spectator I've seen some strange things:
eg. The track repairs taking place during the race (Sebring this year)
eg. The V8 Brute with the hot exhaust taking to the dry grass: I'm sure you can figure out what happened!

Now, you guys (and gals) probably have more experience than most of these strange-but-true happenings - anything interesting?
Old 7 Jul 2002, 20:45 (Ref:328965)   #2
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh oh.... I can feel the "war stories" coming on....
Old 7 Jul 2002, 22:26 (Ref:329035)   #3
Flaggie
Racer

Flaggie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
15 HQ Holdens trying to "become one" with each other at Phillip Island was pretty strange but true..... But also extremely funny at the time.

My personal strange but true one the whole course being asked to put out a waved White flag cause SOMEWHERE out there a fire service vehicle was fighting a car fire. That was pretty weird.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 18:07 (Ref:329581)   #4
micaz43
Rookie

micaz43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Italian Porsche meeting at Donington, and every single car had a map of the circuit with pretty looking arrows to show them which was the way round, and some still managed to muck things up
Old 8 Jul 2002, 18:11 (Ref:329587)   #5
wickedwitch
Racer

wickedwitch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first time this happened it was pretty unexpected, but now .... well..., if I had euro for every time a driver has stopped at my flagpost to ask for directions...
Old 2 Aug 2002, 18:48 (Ref:348918)   #6
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so ASp, as you see we ALWAYS expect the unexpected. It's what makes the job interesting, fun, and sometimes dangerous!

If you are currently spectating, come and join us. You will get free tickets to races, spend more per year on coming than you ever did just watching, get serious adgrenaline highs, and learn to run for your life.

You will also make friends for life and have the best view in the house
Old 2 Aug 2002, 19:33 (Ref:348948)   #7
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Um if we expect the unexpected then it's not unexpected anymore so how can we expect it......

*boof*

Oh bugger - my brain just imploded.

Old 4 Aug 2002, 18:33 (Ref:349928)   #8
Brushpusher
Racer

Brushpusher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if the unexpected cannot be expected what can we expect next?

Dohhhhhhh!!
Old 5 Aug 2002, 14:41 (Ref:350476)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Now I am confused

Come on asp, join the ranks of marshals and be 'tango'd'
Old 5 Aug 2002, 17:55 (Ref:350597)   #10
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
I know I am not the only one who has experienced this but:
Donington National Circuit. Post 24, fogarty's in (in what?)
The assembly area is at the bottom of the GP loop, the cars go W.D. up to the cage and turn left towards Goddards.

Except this particular field of French and Italian Alfa drivers decided to turn right and accelerate rapidly towards the Dunlop bridge...
Old 6 Aug 2002, 08:33 (Ref:351074)   #11
flaggie1
Racer

flaggie1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best one ive had was being asked to rake a gravel trap so it would look good for TV. Now is this Motor Racing or golf.

"FOUR"
Old 12 Aug 2002, 16:30 (Ref:356189)   #12
Grahambangers
Rookie

Grahambangers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At my first ever meet as a marshall, a Rally Cross at Croft I had two incidents of the unexpected.
1) A modified driver asked me which side the pits was as he lined up on the dummy grid. Now I may have been new but even I gathered it was the same side as the buildings. Just a guess.
2) The mini's had been qualifying etc all day and then one particular experienced driver requested to know how many laps in the mini final. The same as always I suggested. He finished eventually after celebrating a win on laps 2, 3, 5 etc or is he still trying to finish.
Amanda aka Grahambangers care in the community nurse.
Old 13 Aug 2002, 12:18 (Ref:356793)   #13
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Grahambangers

1) A modified driver
Resist, I must resist, no I can't sorry,

In what way was the driver modified...

Old 13 Aug 2002, 14:10 (Ref:356885)   #14
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in an un-expected way , of course
Old 13 Aug 2002, 17:39 (Ref:356986)   #15
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
I would suggest from the fact that he couldn't find the pits that his vision was modified.

You know, in the same way engines are tuned for top end and lose out on bottom end, perhaps his vision was tuned to tunnel setting, meaning he could see perfectly straight ahead but at the expense of peripheral vision... hang on, wouldn't that explain half the drivers in the BTCC?
Old 15 Aug 2002, 11:25 (Ref:358247)   #16
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about
VSCC driver stopping to ask what the yellow flag meant...

VSCC driver asking us if he had to pay for the armco barrier that his 4.5 litre Bentley had comprehensivly demolished.

And one from Mrs Flagman -
VSCC driver visiting Donington Park race control to ask if they could ring round to se if anyone had found a pair of trousers out on the circuit
Old 15 Aug 2002, 11:57 (Ref:358270)   #17
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's a funny old life...
I have found a pair of blue Y-fronts on the circuit.

As for radio messages, base to cheif t*t's (instead of chief pits)
and base from post 1 we have a glider landing!!
Old 15 Aug 2002, 19:55 (Ref:358599)   #18
Peter Scillitoe
Racer

North Korea
Peoples Democratic Republic of Medway
Peter Scillitoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by scorch
it's a funny old life...
I have found a pair of blue Y-fronts on the circuit.
I wondered where I had lost them
Old 29 Aug 2002, 11:59 (Ref:368193)   #19
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One from the Gold Cup meeting at the weekend

XK120 spins onto grass exiting Old Hall - driver restarts engine but then proceeds to sit there looking round inside of car - after a brief conversation with the first marshal to arrive, the said marshal also starts looking round inside of car - eventually marshal find the drivers specs that have flown off in the spin and driver rejoins.
Old 27 Sep 2002, 15:35 (Ref:389916)   #20
serverbrainfailure
Rookie

serverbrainfailure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rallycross at blyton this year - I saw a peugeot 205 roll OVER THE TOP of another 205 that was ALREADY rolling...!!!!!!
I nearly had a brown adrenaline moment & I was on the next post up!
(both drivers were fine, in fact one continued to race until the red flag...)
Old 27 Sep 2002, 16:17 (Ref:389954)   #21
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
That's a definite waved blue and yellow moment!
Old 28 Sep 2002, 09:08 (Ref:390420)   #22
Superflid
Rookie

Superflid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been lurking a while, contemplating the merits of becoming a marshal. After reading about what has made some of you cut down on your marshalling, I might be contemplating a bit longer!
Anyway, the thing is I am a wheelchair user and realise that I would be less useful than someone with fully-functioning legs! I have read a great deal about Steve Tarrant's accident and recovery (Saw him in the pits at Donington the other day, would have spoken but he was in conversation), and while it is obvious that there are jobs I could do, Steve's previous experience would have been a great advantage that I don't have.
I'll try to stop rambling, does anyone have any advice for a racing-mad, wheelchair-bound nutter with spare time on his hands?
Old 28 Sep 2002, 20:11 (Ref:390676)   #23
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about offering your services to the 2CV racing club as the safety car? Seriously, though, I'm sure any event would be happy to have you doing duties, say, in the pitlane, although I'll leave it to our marshalling members to clarify that.
Old 28 Sep 2002, 21:31 (Ref:390734)   #24
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Superflid, As I understand it there are no regulations that prevent wheelchair users from being in a pitlane. Having said that I'm not sure that it would be particularly easy to act as a pit marshal from a wheelchair. I know of one pit lane marshal who has limited mobility but he has enough movement to get out of a situation if it all goes pearshaped and a car comes towards him. It may depend on what level of mobility you have?

The other problem is that as I'm sure you are already aware, race circuits are on the whole very wheelchair unfriendly. The one circuit that is much more enlightened is Rockingham, certainly both the Race Control building and Race Administration should be accessible. If you are fancied doing an "inside" role you may find that they would be pleased to have an extra pair of hands to do race logs, phones, cameras etc. - you get a great view of the racing from Race Control at Rockingham (and you don't get wet when it rains - suits me fine!). Race meetings at Rockingham are usually run by BARC, it might be worth making contact with them to see what they say.

I'm not sure about the other "outside" marshalling disciplines - I would imagine that access is going to be the biggest problem - perhaps someone else can comment?
Old 28 Sep 2002, 21:49 (Ref:390751)   #25
Superflid
Rookie

Superflid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All advice gratefully accepted. The 2CV idea is worth thinking about, my wheelchair is "slightly" modified and has seen 47 mph (so far).
Agree about access probs, I rarely go to Mallory due to pit access. Rockingham is fairly close to me, so worth a try!
Thanks again. Any more, or are all the marshals in tents tonight?