Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jul 2003, 20:37 (Ref:671407)   #1
simon_blay
Racer

simon_blay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone met an F1 driver???

Behind the stage at the Quo concert seemed to be ure best bet. We saw Damon, got tickets signed by firman and wilson, but i thought, as was mentioned in autosport or summit that the drivers were hidden away far too much. Give me a BTCC paddock any day.

Awesome race tho!!!
Old 25 Jul 2003, 21:17 (Ref:671434)   #2
bart_jacobs
Racer

bart_jacobs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've met 14 driver, who have driven a F1 car, either tested, or raced with it... I even got an autograph from new signing Nicolas Kiesa...(from the 2002 F3000 season)
Old 25 Jul 2003, 21:25 (Ref:671438)   #3
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I meet Pizzonia back in those good days of Formula Renualt, like Simon_blay asys BTCC paddock any time :-) Also saw Sato in Formula Vauxhall in '98.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 22:23 (Ref:671466)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drivers are mostly fairly easy to meet...but not when they're driving in F1. Get them on the way up, and on the way down...much easier. The only driver I've ever met that was actually driving in F1 at the time was Mika Hakkinen when he stopped by to sign autographs at a Hugo Boss store. Nobody recognized him though..so he didn't sign many autographs...he was surprisingly chatty though.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 25 Jul 2003, 23:03 (Ref:671497)   #5
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I know someone who met Montoya at Rockingham 2002 and leapt in front of him and started snapping away with his camera. Does that qualify? ;-)
Old 25 Jul 2003, 23:08 (Ref:671499)   #6
fastracer
Racer

United States
Irvine, California, USA
fastracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Indy 2001 i was able to get in the paddock with the help of some friends who worked for Minardi where i met and got to hang around with Alonso. I also met Trulli, Button, Hakkinen, Heidfeld, Irvine and his parents (very nice people), Lauda, De La Rosa, Bernoldi, Yoong and last but not least at the hotel i was staying, Gaston Mazzacane. Also met Clay Regazzoni at LAX after the Long Beach GP a couple of years ago.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 23:09 (Ref:671501)   #7
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice one mate! You're very lucky! :-)
Old 26 Jul 2003, 00:55 (Ref:671569)   #8
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
never met any current drivers.

but Ive met and chatted with Sir Jack Brabham which was an amazing experience and one that I will always remember , I was so awe struck in meeting him and having a chat about all kinds of things that when we parted it was only then that i realized I didnt get his autograph which Im rather annoyed about.

but it was fantastic to meet him.

I also had the displeasure of meeting Alan Jones but i wont go into details about that because I'd rather forget that meeting and him entirely.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 01:04 (Ref:671576)   #9
bacon sandwich
Racer

United Kingdom
basildon essex
bacon sandwich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Takumo Sato sat in my chair when he crashed at Brands in 2001 whilst in F3.
Have met Perry McCarthy twice at BRSCC dinner (have a photo, me and him)and Autosport show.
Met Mark Blundell at BTCC meeting - Brands last year for autograph.
Best one though was sneaking onto grid at '97 GP and standing in front of Damon's car during countdown - didn't speak to him but I was so happy - I was nearly still there as they left on the green flag lap!
Old 26 Jul 2003, 03:35 (Ref:671633)   #10
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I met montoya at chicago during the champcar oval race, he was kinda quiet and distracted, mostly "yeah yeah" and i have to go"
but mario andretti hit me with those infernal honda cub scooters!
he was "oh i am sorry, are you okay? do you need something?"
Evrything was fine really, but he told me how he has seen driver knock people over in the pits and drive away really fast, adn never look back. terribly nice gentleman. He patted me on the back and said 'enjoy'
Old 26 Jul 2003, 04:01 (Ref:671639)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I met John Surtees at Lakeside - his car had conked out in heavy rain, he ran into the spectators' enclosure when he saw we had a big tent and asked if he could shelter there, I spoke with him for nearly three quarters of an hour. Really nice chap - it was just before he drove the Ferrari to his WDC.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 04:17 (Ref:671644)   #12
Scott75
Veteran

Scott75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back in 2000 I was in contact with Mark Webber a couple of times regarding website design. I was going to meet up with him at the US Grand Prix at Indy. He was going to organise for me to meet with him at the Fosters tent but I had to leave the USA earlier than expected for reason's beyond me. I also had a few emails from him back in 1999 when he was driving for Stoddart in F3000. Does this count? He's an awesome bloke that's for sure, he didn't have to do that for me.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 04:20 (Ref:671647)   #13
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Maybe he follows the same footy team as you
Old 26 Jul 2003, 04:26 (Ref:671648)   #14
Scott75
Veteran

Scott75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And what team would that be??
Old 26 Jul 2003, 05:16 (Ref:671665)   #15
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
YuP! Last year before the Malaysian GP, when Michael Schumacher joined a local football club in a match over at Langkawi Island. Pasted pictures of him last year in here to prove it! .....no one else matters
Old 26 Jul 2003, 06:31 (Ref:671680)   #16
bingman
Racer

bingman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In 2000 when I was young, I was at a cart event. Me and some mates had a few drinks and just as the race had started we were walking in the in field. Then out of nowhere I looked up and JPM was walking toward me (he just crashed out). As I was wasted I looked up and said "what the hell do you think your doing, isn't this your race"... (I was confused)... JPM just laughed and gave me a rub on the head to which my wasted mate replied "he's Muslim u shouldn't touch him on the head", he'd been watching some culture show on discovery and was full of cr#p that day..

it was funny at the time but I guess u had to be there (wasted)

Last edited by bingman; 26 Jul 2003 at 06:34.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 08:50 (Ref:671719)   #17
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When I was a kid I got to meet all of the F1 drivers - you could in those days quite easily and get their autographs. This was in the 60s/70s - the likes of Stewart, Graham Hill, Siffert, Amon, McLaren, Surtees, Clark etc.It was like a club meeting paddock today but with many more people!
Nowadays I get to meet many of the current drivers due to my profession and most I have known since they started car racing. Some are clients of my work. Had a good chat with JPM, Ralph F, Wurz, Lehto etc at Silverstone last week.
What F1 must do is make the drivers more accessible to the fans!
Old 26 Jul 2003, 09:16 (Ref:671727)   #18
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The only driver I've met whilst he was actually in F1 is Stefan Bellof - at Brands Hatch while he was driving for Tyrrell.

I've also met Sir Stirling Moss, Derek Bell, Roy Salvadori, Gabriele Tarquini, Patrick Tambay and Jochen Mass. All in retirement, but all still mighty quick.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 09:27 (Ref:671734)   #19
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fernando, Jarno and Mr McNish!
Old 26 Jul 2003, 09:51 (Ref:671747)   #20
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Met Cristiano da Matta back when he was in CART. Whiney little prick.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 10:34 (Ref:671765)   #21
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Never meet but sat in hosipaltiy with McNish and Perry McCarthy - does that count
Old 26 Jul 2003, 10:38 (Ref:671768)   #22
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If your gonna count that then I've seen them too!
Old 26 Jul 2003, 10:58 (Ref:671780)   #23
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I met Montoya, Christian Fittipaldi, and Cristiano when they were in CART, and I've met Mario and Michael lots of times at Indy. I got Michael to remember me! I wrote him a letter and put a picture I took with him in the enveope, then brought the picture back for him to sign the next year. He said, "Hey, I remember you! You've been coming out here for a long time, haven't you?" I was so happy!
Old 26 Jul 2003, 13:50 (Ref:671842)   #24
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes Mark Webber came to vist me a work (just before leMans) as he was managed by campise at the and I was owed a favour so while Mark was visting Oz. So he came to my work and signed a few things for me and gave me 2 prints of him in F3 with ADR and sign them the bonus is there is only 500 of them and I have two and signed . It made my year . Mark was such a nice bloke really down to earth IME he is /a Champ
Old 26 Jul 2003, 14:13 (Ref:671863)   #25
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've met Mika Hakkinen and Johnny Herbert at Barcelona on 1997. JH brought me into a McLaren awning whereupon DC scarpered when he saw us because Herbert passed him on the last lap of the race!
Eddie Jordan too a couple of times.