Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 May 2006, 14:19 (Ref:1603388)   #1
mrsweety
Racer

mrsweety should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scary Pic!!!

Anyone ever seen this? was MS old Car from 99 *one he crashed* some chap from Holland owned it and was doing a demo!! nasty tub failure!!

Or

I heard it was a demo car.... not meant to be used... wood etc!!

Anyone know more?

Old 8 May 2006, 16:43 (Ref:1603490)   #2
Francis Albert
Racer

Francis Albert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I heard the same thing, that it was the car Schumacher had the accident with in Silverstone.

I also heard that the dutch guy driving it this time around was doing 150km/h or so when he crashed, so very lucky indeed!

Anyone else knows more details about this?
Old 8 May 2006, 16:48 (Ref:1603493)   #3
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I only know it was at Laguna Seca
Old 8 May 2006, 16:50 (Ref:1603497)   #4
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seem to recall a wealthy guy bought the rights to drive it not actually own it, and it fell apart as he demoed it. Also recall Ross Brawn being asked about it and that they were going to investigate it! But never heard anymore.
Old 8 May 2006, 23:03 (Ref:1603805)   #5
carlisle85
Rookie

carlisle85 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
seemes a very clean break of the tub around the bulkhead?
Old 8 May 2006, 23:46 (Ref:1603822)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looks like a fake ! The legs seems completely disproportional from the body...
Old 9 May 2006, 00:15 (Ref:1603839)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a genuine picture, I remember the story at the time it happened, though the details escape me. I believe it was a failure rather than the result of a crash, but I stand to be corrected.
Old 9 May 2006, 00:27 (Ref:1603844)   #8
fazzaz
Racer

United States
Appalachia, USA
fazzaz has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The photo, which was well circulated at the time (and appeared in several US magazines) was taken at the Monterey Historics at Laguna Seca in August, 2004.

The driver, Fritz Kroymans, suffered only slight knee injuries, and raced his 250 GTO later the same day. It is believed that the car's nose stuck in a tire barrier during a spin, and the weight of the back of the car and the leverage caused the failure as shown. Ferrari Corse Clienti did take the tub for analysis of the accident, but no result was ever announced publicly.
Old 9 May 2006, 01:24 (Ref:1603861)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It's obviously a Cut-and-Shut job.One careful owner (not).
Old 9 May 2006, 02:26 (Ref:1603879)   #10
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
maybe he should keep his day job..
Old 9 May 2006, 02:55 (Ref:1603892)   #11
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It happened at Laguna Seca turn 6. If you run wide it coming out of that corner, pinch the exit and lose it, you head straight for a wall! And, that's what seem to happen. I've seen a few people eat it there when I was racing Barber 2-Liters. Nasty.
Old 9 May 2006, 08:11 (Ref:1604000)   #12
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
tub manufacture

Having attended a technical lecture from Gary Savage who at the time worked for arrows in their composites department, last I heard he was now at BAR/HONDA doing their first carbon gearbox back in 2004 ish...........

he explained the two methods used to produce monocoques in F1......some teams produce upper and lower monocoque halves, then glue them together......and some teams produce a front and rear then glue them together.......obviously Ferrari produce a front and rear!......hope that helps ;-)
Old 9 May 2006, 08:32 (Ref:1604010)   #13
Julio
Racer

United Kingdom
Julio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd also heard a rumour that this new owner had the tub 'lengthened' so he could fit in better. Don't know if there's any truth in this? Whatever the story, it clearly looks like the glue bonding the two pieces of carbon fibre has failed, perhaps with age?

By the way, he still seems to have his foot firmly on the accelerator!
Old 9 May 2006, 11:17 (Ref:1604136)   #14
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mjolnir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe they gave him Irve the Swerve's car instead by mistake?
Old 9 May 2006, 11:44 (Ref:1604164)   #15
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had heard it was the car that schumi had the head on crash at silverstone in and the driver paid alot to drive it...not sure how true.

As others have said Ferrari immediately shipped it back to Italy, but nothing has been posted on a public forum or newspaper since. Sounds like an oops to me and surely devalue any used examples of Ferrari F1 cars.
Old 9 May 2006, 13:38 (Ref:1604267)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, then, that's very scary and brings back memories of Zanardi...
Old 9 May 2006, 14:16 (Ref:1604282)   #17
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've just written a piece on the causes of this and some similar accidents - it will appear in the Le Mans issue of Racecar Engineering and has some scary stuff in it (especially if you drive for Super Aguri).

Info - driver its Frits Kroymans (Dutch Ferrari importer), car is F399 same type as schumcher was injured in but not the same chassis, pic was taken at Laguna Seca a couple of years ago. Front broke off after impact with tyre wall. Ex Irvine I think - NOT a demo car

Cause - well for that you'd have to get the mag (and you won't find the real cause online at all)
Old 9 May 2006, 17:15 (Ref:1604415)   #18
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Saw that one a while ago, think it's the same one....Sam, don't you have some more pics somewhere which you emailed to me?

Can always upload them at some point but I seem to be chained to work at the moment...for the next couple of days at least!
Old 9 May 2006, 17:30 (Ref:1604430)   #19
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sam, should make interesting reading. Carbon Fibre integrity looks like it could be, or is a problem over time.

Perhaps worth looking at the Metal Fatigue thread in the Formula Ford section.
Old 9 May 2006, 18:34 (Ref:1604475)   #20
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Has Rinland not written a bit for RCE or am I getting confused?!

Also was a discussion on this in NISS.
Old 9 May 2006, 18:55 (Ref:1604490)   #21
marzF1rocks
Racer

England
Derbyshire
marzF1rocks has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i find this pic very funny, but he is lucky to be walking away
Old 9 May 2006, 20:06 (Ref:1604524)   #22
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I saw this when it first came out. Just thought that as michael intends to continue into his dotage, that Ferrari were developing the easy access F1 car for when he finds it difficult nipping in and out of the cockpit.
Old 9 May 2006, 20:48 (Ref:1604568)   #23
mrsweety
Racer

mrsweety should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzF1rocks
i find this pic very funny, but he is lucky to be walking away
Funny? not really!! nothing good about losing your legs racing..... as a driver I found it quite grim! reason being if this can happen to a $$$$$$$$$$ F1 car!!!

hmmmmm..
Old 9 May 2006, 21:01 (Ref:1604588)   #24
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
See also: http://www.autoracing1.com/Images/Ph...edferrari1.jpg
Old 9 May 2006, 21:42 (Ref:1604627)   #25
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
nice close up

it does look like the monocoque is made of something other than metal... wood probably like the first post suggest.

that guy must be a little nuts