Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Feb 2017, 10:42 (Ref:3712998)   #126
Colin Parkinson
Rookie

England
Halifax 'Oop North'
Colin Parkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For what it's worth, we are going to RR.
Old 18 Feb 2017, 11:07 (Ref:3712999)   #127
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Intending to be at RR on Friday......for what its worth received an email yesterday telling me that as a subscriber to Racecar Engineering (a web thing that I don't pay for) they were offering me complementary tickets for Excel. Maybe sales aren't going too well?
Old 18 Feb 2017, 11:20 (Ref:3713003)   #128
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thats funny , I have got loads of tickets sent to me for that one. Shame to go to waist if anyone wants them.
Old 18 Feb 2017, 11:49 (Ref:3713008)   #129
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am going to the Excel on Thursday - because I received complimentary tickets (in fact multiple sets of tickets offered) and we will be in the London area anyway.

However, still going to RR on Friday as I tend to think of it as the perfect prelude to the season and a chance to meet up with old friends.

It will be an interesting comparison......
Old 18 Feb 2017, 20:55 (Ref:3713046)   #130
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll be at Retro on Saturday, hopefully the weather will play ball and stay nice and dry. Was thinking of going to Excel on sunday but due to trains being off that put a stop to that idea!
Old 20 Feb 2017, 10:13 (Ref:3713326)   #131
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going to RR on the Saturday. The live action stage is a big draw for me and it's a good list of cars taking part.

However, I have also been offered complimentary tickets, which is great, but I would have gone to Stoneleigh anyway. The number of complimentary tickets does seem as though both organisers are trying hard to make sure that their show is a succes!!!!!
Old 20 Feb 2017, 10:15 (Ref:3713328)   #132
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First year of missing RR for me. Was planning on going but now a family funeral in Devon mid afternoon on Friday and the need to stay overnight has paid to that. Working on Sunday so I'll just have to put up with a vicarious visit
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 20 Feb 2017, 11:57 (Ref:3713363)   #133
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
The number of complimentary tickets does seem as though both organisers are trying hard to make sure that their show is a success!!!!!
Yes, from the emails I've received it seems that RR are pushing the 'celebs' aspect more, and that's cars and peeps. Plus of course for some the Rally stage is a draw. HMI seems to be concentrating more on complimentary tickets, but via race organisers and trade suppliers, not mags and papers....

Slight panic reading the Metro this morning- London tube strike this week! Fortunately Wednesday. Phew.
Old 20 Feb 2017, 12:05 (Ref:3713364)   #134
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be at Excel Friday morning, it seems I have an appointment with a multiple LeMans winner.
Old 21 Feb 2017, 12:17 (Ref:3713657)   #135
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
I'll be at Excel Friday morning, it seems I have an appointment with a multiple LeMans winner.
We will need photographic evidence after!

Anyone still not got a ticket (free or otherwise) and is undecided about HMI, I've got a couple of 'complementary' codes that can pm. One is for single ticket thur or fri, second two tickets any day. (I haven't tried the codes so that is from the bumf that came with them....)

And before anyone thinks I am biased towards one show- If I had complementary codes for RR tickets I would be happy to pass them on as well!
Old 21 Feb 2017, 13:51 (Ref:3713676)   #136
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was feeling left out....but i checked my Spam folder and there is my complimentary invitation to Excel :-)

Shame I'm committed elsewhere.
Old 21 Feb 2017, 20:36 (Ref:3713780)   #137
Bruce Chambers
Rookie

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Bruce Chambers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, having always found Race Retro a pleasant and easy show at which to exhibit particularly in comparison to the NEC in January we decided to do so again. I seriously doubt that it was a correct commercial decision, generally there are a lot of decent people with whom to have a pleasant chat but very few looking to make purchasing decisions or at least with regard to our product, so if we now dilute the normal level of interest by perhaps 50% with the conflict between the two shows I'm reasonably sure we'll not be retiring off the proceeds!
Old 22 Feb 2017, 17:12 (Ref:3714058)   #138
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chambers View Post
Well, having always found Race Retro a pleasant and easy show at which to exhibit particularly in comparison to the NEC in January we decided to do so again. I seriously doubt that it was a correct commercial decision, generally there are a lot of decent people with whom to have a pleasant chat but very few looking to make purchasing decisions or at least with regard to our product, so if we now dilute the normal level of interest by perhaps 50% with the conflict between the two shows I'm reasonably sure we'll not be retiring off the proceeds!
I need an extinguisher system Bruce. Get kettle on.
Old 23 Feb 2017, 10:41 (Ref:3714226)   #139
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
MartinH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mornin, here is the list of presentations in the Superguard theater ;

http://www.thelondonclassiccarshow.c...4TCF5J,1H4C3,1

Pity I'm not going on Thursday (today !) after all, as the one on driving standards could be good fun !!

I could have brought along a good photo selection of bent Cortina & Alfa panels as examples of good clean driving !!

Anyway, see you there if you are going along on Friday.

Martin
Old 23 Feb 2017, 22:38 (Ref:3714359)   #140
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Initial feedback on the Excel show - a bit underwhelmed.......

Not many people there even with all the freebee tickets. If I'd paid to go in, I would be feeling very disappointed.

Did meet up with some old buddies (who would normally be at RR anyway) and even spied Mr Bell from a distance.

Conversely, I have to confess that I quite enjoyed the Classic Car Show which was the other side of the central "boulevard" - sad isn't it. This was mainly filled by the top level dealers, but they certainly know how to put on a good show of quality stuff.

I did manage to buy a very nice 1/18th scale model of an Alfa Monza for £10 and the missus bought an interesting book about Hitler's influence on motor racing in the 30s.

Early start to get to Race Retro tomorrow, I'm hoping that it hasn't been diluted too much by the London event.

P.S. I actually enjoyed the "Green Hell" movie on Tuesday
Old 24 Feb 2017, 06:40 (Ref:3714407)   #141
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
Initial feedback on the Excel show - a bit underwhelmed.......

Not many people there even with all the freebee tickets. If I'd paid to go in, I would be feeling very disappointed.

Did meet up with some old buddies (who would normally be at RR anyway) and even spied Mr Bell from a distance.

Conversely, I have to confess that I quite enjoyed the Classic Car Show which was the other side of the central "boulevard" - sad isn't it. This was mainly filled by the top level dealers, but they certainly know how to put on a good show of quality stuff.

I did manage to buy a very nice 1/18th scale model of an Alfa Monza for £10 and the missus bought an interesting book about Hitler's influence on motor racing in the 30s.

Early start to get to Race Retro tomorrow, I'm hoping that it hasn't been diluted too much by the London event.

P.S. I actually enjoyed the "Green Hell" movie on Tuesday
Ah, I spotted Mrs A and yourself- also at a distance, Brian!

Have to concur- there were some stunning cars in the Classic show, and we spent more time in there than HMI. No problem as I enjoy the road cars as much as their racing brothers.... Good things about Excel- the transport links, the light 'airy' halls, the central boulevard with lots of food outlet choices.... I'm sure that the first day will be quieter than subsequent days, but the organisers need to get more trade suppliers and ancillary product providers on board, to fill in between the race organisers, preparers and such.

Good day out though, despite the issues getting home again after Doris! But I made it eventually.....
Old 24 Feb 2017, 13:26 (Ref:3714481)   #142
Rikki Cann
Racer

England
Rochford Essex
Rikki Cann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I spent yesterday at the London classic car show and must say it was brilliant, i have never been to the excel venue before and was very impressed with everything from parking, cost of food, toilets etc., all was great.

The cars on show were amazing, loved the Motorsport section as well, Jackie Ikyx was very entertaining and a joy to see.

Strongly recommend this show, well-done to all the organisers.
Old 24 Feb 2017, 14:10 (Ref:3714489)   #143
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Glad you enjoyed it Rikki. I didn't click there was parking on site until waiting on the DLR platform to come home, from where could see the entrance and a car going in!

And I forgot to mention the quality loos- yes, very good and plentiful.....

I attended one of the Henry Hope-Frost chaired panel discussions (on scrutineering and eligibility ) and it was very well done.

'Mighty Oaks from little acorns grow?'

Last edited by Mike Bell; 24 Feb 2017 at 14:34. Reason: Addition
Old 24 Feb 2017, 14:25 (Ref:3714491)   #144
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
And 3 pics- taken early on before people could get in the way!

My favourite modern Aston- the one off Bertone Jet 2+2
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 24 Feb 2017, 14:26 (Ref:3714492)   #145
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
May favourite engine of all time- Cosworth GAA
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 24 Feb 2017, 14:28 (Ref:3714493)   #146
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The beautifully done new Crossle Zetec engined 'Classic Racing School' car
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 24 Feb 2017, 14:28 (Ref:3714494)   #147
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well I have some gossip on the clash of dates. Allegedly the London organisers tried to buy the RR show, and when they failed a for of pique ensued. Allegedly the clash will happen in 2018 too.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 24 Feb 2017, 14:38 (Ref:3714504)   #148
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Well I have some gossip on the clash of dates. Allegedly the London organisers tried to buy the RR show, and when they failed a for of pique ensued. Allegedly the clash will happen in 2018 too.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Wouldn't be he first time- Ford and Ferrari immediately spring to mind!
Old 24 Feb 2017, 14:43 (Ref:3714508)   #149
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Glad you enjoyed it Rikki. I didn't click there was parking on site until waiting on the DLR platform to come home, from where could see the entrance and a car going in!

And I forgot to mention the quality loos- yes, very good and plentiful.....

I attended one of the Henry Hope-Frost chaired panel discussions (on scrutineering and eligibility ) and it was very well done.

'Mighty Oaks from little acorns grow?'

HH-F usually does a good job of hosting things.

I was always under the impression there was no parking availability at Excel.

Nice pics, Mike!
Old 24 Feb 2017, 15:39 (Ref:3714525)   #150
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I was always under the impression there was no parking availability at Excel.
There is parking but they prefer you to use public transport (and to be fair the public transport is reasonable for getting to Excel). We drove there for 'Top Gear Live' a few years back and it was relatively painless.