Old 10 May 2009, 09:32 (Ref:2458991)   #1
Matt_Ring
Rookie

United Kingdom
Epsom
Matt_Ring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New to Marshalling and confused

Hi

I am very new to marshalling - I went for the first time to Brands yesterday and really really enjoyed it. Unfortunately I couldn't go today but woke up wishing I was!

However I went as a volunteer with the BRSCC on one of their one day trials and was wondering just who to register with. I know to register with the BRSCC as they stage events but then is it worth registering with the MSA and / or the British Motor Racing Marshalls Club?

Another question is that if it is worth me registering for the MSA, on their application is asks for your clubs recommendation and endorsement. If I register as a trainee do I still need this?

I probably won't be registering for a few races, just to make sure I really do like but I was wondering if I should be registering with just the MSA or both or what?

Thanks for your help
Matt
Old 10 May 2009, 09:56 (Ref:2458998)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
To marshal at a race meeting you don't need to be a member of, or 'registered with', the organising club.

For MSA registration & grading purposes you need to be a member of, or be sponsored by, a club which will be nominated as your primary club; your contact with the MSA will be via your primary club.

As for which club, it's up to you. I think most people on here will advocate joining BMMC, as it's the only club which which exists specifically for marshals
Old 10 May 2009, 16:19 (Ref:2459330)   #3
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Matt, welcome to marshalling and ten-tenths!

I'd thoroughly reccomend joining the BMMC for several reasons:-

You automatically get personal insurance for any event you marshal at (providing you notify them in advance).

You get good discounts on overalls plus a few other perks (cheap RAC cover, to mention one).

They will take care of MSA registration for you, which is needed if you want to progress through the grading scheme.

They organise training days for members.

Good advice is only a phone call or email away.

If interested, go to www.marshals.co.uk and there's plenty of info on there.

Good luck!
Old 10 May 2009, 22:15 (Ref:2459601)   #4
Matt_Ring
Rookie

United Kingdom
Epsom
Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like the BMMC is the best option. I haveseen that we site but will take a much closer look tomorrow.

I assume when you register they give you a record card and ID card or something. Can't wait for next event!

Thanks for the advice
Old 10 May 2009, 23:22 (Ref:2459638)   #5
Mr.Orange
Rookie

Mr.Orange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Ring View Post
Hi

I am very new to marshalling - I went for the first time to Brands yesterday and really really enjoyed it. Unfortunately I couldn't go today but woke up wishing I was!
I told you you should have come marshalling with us and not go moving furniture !!
Old 11 May 2009, 05:24 (Ref:2459732)   #6
Darren Holmes
Racer

England
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Darren Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post

For MSA registration & grading purposes you need to be a member of, or be sponsored by, a club which will be nominated as your primary club; your contact with the MSA will be via your primary club.
Not strictly true, when I first started I told the MSA I was not a member of any club and sent the form of with that part blank. I registered with no problem and my MSA Green card says club BARC Head Office!

I shortly joined BMMC anyway, so I upgraded through them, what would have happened upgrade wise if I hadn't Im not sure but I fully recommend you join the BMMC.
Old 11 May 2009, 14:38 (Ref:2460171)   #7
marshal_man
Racer

United Kingdom
Taunton, Somerset
marshal_man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well my primary club are BARC, just cause you are part of BARC that doesnt mean the BMMC wont help you with any questions... also as you have seen you ask a question on here you get different opinions but lots of good answers within seconds

Welcome and keep the marshalling up its always good seeing people at training days that have retained there interest.
Old 11 May 2009, 23:15 (Ref:2460513)   #8
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome,

One of the biggest financial benefits of BMMC membership is some very generous sponsorship of your rather fetching orange romper suit. There were special prices form members when I bought mine, but the current deal is better still - take a good look back through the last few months on here - some good threads with advice on various items of kit and a long one about the Probans!

Don't be too shy about roughly where you live - it can help you to get a few locals keeping an extra eye open for you - a bit of encouragement in your early days is a great help in feeling part of the crowd. A full profile on here can help to open the door to those local welcomes.
Old 12 May 2009, 08:53 (Ref:2460707)   #9
Matt_Ring
Rookie

United Kingdom
Epsom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Orange View Post
I told you you should have come marshalling with us and not go moving furniture !!
I made a compromise - one day of furniture moving for marshalling whenever in the future

See you soon!
Old 13 May 2009, 09:42 (Ref:2461521)   #10
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
welcome to marshalling.

i personally would not worry about joining any club, especially if it involves paying out money.

i have been marshalling/rescue for 20 years both bikes and cars and not being a paid up member of any club has not hampered my hobby at all. they even let me in charge of radios and paperwork at times.

my advice would be, get a club to help with the msa paperwork side of things, all chief marshals that i have come across will be quite happy to do that. any club that declines obviously has enough marshals and would not deserve your help. so find out who you would marshal with the most and allow them to help without paying for the pleasure.

then get a season or two under your belt by which time you will get a feel for what clubs are available and what will offer you 'value for money' if you feel you wish to pay.

one day i may be convinced that i need to pay up and join up, but i have yet to meet anyone that can do that.
Old 13 May 2009, 10:11 (Ref:2461531)   #11
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss View Post
i personally would not worry about joining any club, especially if it involves paying out money.
BMMC membership is only £17.50 and you get more than that back from subsidised overalls! I agree that you don't HAVE to join a club but there are so many benefits plus I feel that I'm much more a part of the marshalling community being in a club or 2. Also, the clubs do so much for us in improving working conditions it's good to give a bit back