Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 2 Sep 2017, 04:20 (Ref:3763666)   #851
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not for nothing but the times I've been at sebring it's always such a let down when the race is over and the loonies are burning all the couches in the green park...if they had another 12 hour race staring at midnight? they'd need to adjust the vacate schedule for the track but the crowd would be up for it, no doubt.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 04:34 (Ref:3763668)   #852
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
Not for nothing but the times I've been at sebring it's always such a let down when the race is over and the loonies are burning all the couches in the green park...if they had another 12 hour race staring at midnight? they'd need to adjust the vacate schedule for the track but the crowd would be up for it, no doubt.
I've been able to hang with the best of them but the 12 hours is madness. 12 hours after the 12 hours is insanity.

Here's a burning couch at the hairpin for fun.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 10:29 (Ref:3763724)   #853
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Then again, who in the right mind to race and win both 12-hour races at Sebring?

I mean, the only team I can think of on pulling such a feat are Ford Chip Ganassi, Corvette Racing, and Extreme Motorsport.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 10:42 (Ref:3763726)   #854
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Half expecting an anoucment of a 2nd 24 hours race at Daytona right after the first one
Old 2 Sep 2017, 12:38 (Ref:3763769)   #855
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Half expecting an anoucment of a 2nd 24 hours race at Daytona right after the first one
Should start a rumour that PWC wants a Sebring 12 Hours too, starting right after WEC. 36 Hours of Sebring.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 12:59 (Ref:3763777)   #856
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I heard the 3rd 12 hour race was going to see the pwc backed dpi as well.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 13:43 (Ref:3763795)   #857
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Make it 48 Hours if you include Super GT. Then again, having another 12-hour race with PWC might be a bad idea as Sebring would break the seams in terms of capacity and financial status.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 13:47 (Ref:3763796)   #858
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So we have regular Sebring attenders on this forum - what do you think of this?

IMSA 10am-10pm
2 Hour break
WEC 12am-12pm

Are you going to stick around? Have a nap then watch WEC? Or just go home after IMSA?
Old 2 Sep 2017, 15:01 (Ref:3763809)   #859
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

IMSA 10am-10pm
2 Hour break
WEC 12am-12pm

Are you going to stick around? Have a nap then watch WEC? Or just go home after IMSA?
There's not much of a choice if you have anything more than passenger vehicle camped in Green Park (which is what I've done recently). You can't get out til the track goes cold and most don't need to be leaving the track at 10 pm on Saturday night.

IF this does happen like this and I think it's a big if, I'd muscle through as much the second race as possible and then crash. Wake up and pack, not giving a damn about what's on track and get in line to get out at noon. Doesn't sound thrilling, if I'm honest and would mean I'd probably not go or camp somewhere besides GP. Both options are unappealing.

Friday and Saturday nights at Sebring and in Green Park are awesome. The atmosphere has calmed over the years but it's still good fun. A race starting a midnight would sort of kill some of the vibe.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 15:28 (Ref:3763813)   #860
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I tend to be someone who enjoys tradition so the idea of a second 12 hr race riding on the coattails of the proper Sebring 12 is a bit of a weird proposition. That said I think the oddball midnight start races are really appealing and I like that. It's out of the box and unexpected and I think it's that kind of thinking that the WEC needs to save itself.

I would for sure stick around and watch it, probably sleep after a couple hours and wake up to catch the second half and finish.

I thought Sebring wasn't ranked properly for FIA safety. Are they presuming no LMP1 by that point?
Old 2 Sep 2017, 15:34 (Ref:3763814)   #861
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Sebring is Grade 2, which is sufficient for LMP1; it's just that the WEC has been trying to follow F1, and run only Grade 1 circuits besides Le Mans.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 15:43 (Ref:3763816)   #862
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

IMSA 10am-10pm
2 Hour break
WEC 12am-12pm

I'm excited about the idea of the WEC race at Sebring, but I'd much rather they just run it on Sunday instead of starting at midnight. And I wouldn't mind it being a 6 hour race. Sometimes less is more. Plus as others have pointed out, it's a little ridiculous to run some weird new version of an iconic race immediately following the actual race. It's like running a 500 mile F1 race right after the Indy 500 ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
There's not much of a choice if you have anything more than passenger vehicle camped in Green Park (which is what I've done recently). You can't get out til the track goes cold and most don't need to be leaving the track at 10 pm on Saturday night.

IF this does happen like this and I think it's a big if, I'd muscle through as much the second race as possible and then crash. Wake up and pack, not giving a damn about what's on track and get in line to get out at noon. Doesn't sound thrilling, if I'm honest and would mean I'd probably not go or camp somewhere besides GP. Both options are unappealing.

Friday and Saturday nights at Sebring and in Green Park are awesome. The atmosphere has calmed over the years but it's still good fun. A race starting a midnight would sort of kill some of the vibe.
I've been told they are replacing the green park bridge at Sebring in the near future with what I would assume would be a more substantial 2 lane bridge that could accommodate larger vehicles.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 16:00 (Ref:3763820)   #863
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
I understand (and support) the idea of WEC at Sebring, but the more I think about it, the more this idea doesn't work. It will feel like a weird second running of an event, and are we really expecting the fans, both at home and on site, to stick around for another event? Am I to give up my entire weekend and fit TWO 12 hour races into it? That seems a bit more much. And trackside, well what if they just want to go home by that point? Will look bad for WEC. What about the journalists - we want them to stay away for about 36 hours straight to cover this? And circuit support staff have to double up all weekend...it just seems pointless.

Sebring is the right choice, piggy backing on the IMSA 12 Hour is not.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 16:23 (Ref:3763825)   #864
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
I tend to be someone who enjoys tradition so the idea of a second 12 hr race riding on the coattails of the proper Sebring 12 is a bit of a weird proposition. ?
I'm really leaning this way now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
I'm excited about the idea of the WEC race at Sebring, but I'd much rather they just run it on Sunday instead of starting at midnight. And I wouldn't mind it being a 6 hour race. Sometimes less is more. Plus as others have pointed out, it's a little ridiculous to run some weird new version of an iconic race immediately following the actual race. It's like running a 500 mile F1 race right after the Indy 500 ends.
Yeah, it's all a little shoehorned, but I applaud the effort. Let's get some details ironed out. There may be enough dropouts from WEC they can just enter the 12 hours...

Quote:
I've been told they are replacing the green park bridge at Sebring in the near future with what I would assume would be a more substantial 2 lane bridge that could accommodate larger vehicles.
That's good. It's been needed for years, but it's a chunk of change.

Quote:
I understand (and support) the idea of WEC at Sebring, but the more I think about it, the more this idea doesn't work. It will feel like a weird second running of an event, and are we really expecting the fans, both at home and on site, to stick around for another event? Am I to give up my entire weekend and fit TWO 12 hour races into it? That seems a bit more much. And trackside, well what if they just want to go home by that point? Will look bad for WEC. What about the journalists - we want them to stay away for about 36 hours straight to cover this? And circuit support staff have to double up all weekend...it just seems pointless.

Sebring is the right choice, piggy backing on the IMSA 12 Hour is not.
I think it'll be a slight be longer than 24 hour races. Trussers would make it through both, no problem, it's all a bit wonky ATM.

The issue then if not in March, when? April through October is a "little warm" downthere. Who's going to go to the armpit of America's basement without the 12 hours of Sebring? It'll be slightly more attended than COTA.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 16:31 (Ref:3763826)   #865
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
I'll reply in the WEC season thread, since this is IMSA
Old 2 Sep 2017, 16:38 (Ref:3763830)   #866
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Truth, no races outside of the 12 Hour weekend will draw any sort of crowd there, so it has to be that weekend or they might as well race somewhere else.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 17:15 (Ref:3763841)   #867
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
There may be enough dropouts from WEC they can just enter the 12 hours...

That's good. It's been needed for years, but it's a chunk of change.

It'll be slightly more attended than COTA.
Got the races reversed it seems, unless I am missing a point here. WEC follows the IWSC race so how does dropping out of the WEC race set someone up to be ready to join the IWSC race?

Yes a new bridge would be a good thing.

As to the canned attendance, I think it is the best scenario for the WEC and the fans, the time frame fits into premium viewing slots across the pond. Those at the track hard core enough to hang, for what would be a '24hr event', will do so. While some will catch a good sleep/power nap and wake up to more Sports Car racing. I am having a hard time with the breadth of animus about this, it does seem a rather win-win for almost everyone.

L.P.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 17:50 (Ref:3763852)   #868
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Got the races reversed it seems, unless I am missing a point here. WEC follows the IWSC race so how does dropping out of the WEC race set someone up to be ready to join the IWSC race?

Yes a new bridge would be a good thing.

As to the canned attendance, I think it is the best scenario for the WEC and the fans, the time frame fits into premium viewing slots across the pond. Those at the track hard core enough to hang, for what would be a '24hr event', will do so. While some will catch a good sleep/power nap and wake up to more Sports Car racing. I am having a hard time with the breadth of animus about this, it does seem a rather win-win for almost everyone.

L.P.
Overall season entrants in the WEC. The way it's looking, they are dropping out faster than entering so if we're not adding too much to the 12 hours entry, just add them to the race in a reasonable manner unlike the past attempt.

And I find the 12 hours weekend just fine the way it is. A race after a race feels forced imho.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 18:26 (Ref:3763859)   #869
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Overall season entrants in the WEC. The way it's looking, they are dropping out faster than entering so if we're not adding too much to the 12 hours entry, just add them to the race in a reasonable manner unlike the past attempt.

And I find the 12 hours weekend just fine the way it is. A race after a race feels forced imho.
O.k., I now have the gist, and agree.

Yes the Sebring weekend is just fine the way it is.
That being said I still think it is a good way for the two series to keep a hand shake and not screw anyone while doing so.

L.P.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 18:41 (Ref:3763863)   #870
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It would be better if the WEC ran on Friday. Sebring "week" has become short on support activities these days. Schedule qually for both series on Thursday (like it used to be), run a WEC 6 hr. on Friday (leaving time for IMSA practice), and the 12 Hour on Saturday.

I just don't see how the 12 Hour benefits from another 12 hr. race that gets underway just as the champagne is uncorked and the world is buzzing about their own event.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 18:49 (Ref:3763864)   #871
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGTFAN View Post
It would be better if the WEC ran on Friday. Sebring "week" has become short on support activities these days. Schedule qually for both series on Thursday (like it used to be), run a WEC 6 hr. on Friday (leaving time for IMSA practice), and the 12 Hour on Saturday.

I just don't see how the 12 Hour benefits from another 12 hr. race that gets underway just as the champagne is uncorked and the world is buzzing about their own event.
I prefer this idea. Or (just thinking outloud here), extend the week slightly. Move the IMSA practice/qualifying a day earlier and put a WEC 8-10 hour race in on the Friday and have that as the only Friday action, so IMSA teams get Friday off (similar to Le Mans, with no track action on Friday). That way WEC avoids the trap of yet another standard 6 hour race. Could run 8 hours and run it into darkness too.

Also means an easier turn around time, rather than having to do a full track clean-up and reset within 90 minutes.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 19:00 (Ref:3763865)   #872
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
4 to 6 hour WEC race on Friday would be awesome. Proceedings could actually start on Wednesday and it would be an awesome week.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 19:21 (Ref:3763874)   #873
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
I had a gut feeling that Performance Tech would move up, if this is true (only source so far is a Facebook Post), then that is yet another Prototype to the ranks of DPi.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/0...s-in-2018.html

Last edited by Nick Woodbury; 2 Sep 2017 at 19:34.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 19:35 (Ref:3763875)   #874
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Honestly, I'd rather see WEC run their own 6-hour race at Watkins Glen the day after the IMSA race.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 21:52 (Ref:3763909)   #875
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:

IMSA 10am-10pm
2 Hour break
WEC 12am-12pm

I think it is AWESOME!!! No way would I leave before WEC.