Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 25 Sep 2017, 12:45 (Ref:3769736)   #1
ForZiE23
Rookie

United Kingdom
Thame, Oxfordshire
ForZiE23 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bringing under 16 to event

Does or has anybody bring there children along to events they are marshalling but without another adult? Basically i was thinking of brining my 14 1/2 year old so along with me just to a club event but don't really want to turn up to be turned away! My wife normally comes with my other younger son but cannot come this weekend. I know the normal advise "ask the circuit" but this is really just a throw it out there question for any others that may of been in this situation / thought before.

I was thinking if he did come can stay stands behind where i am marshalling opposed to walking the circuit loan ranger. And to be fair he's a sensible 14 but i appreciate that doesnt count for a great deal as its age based!
Old 25 Sep 2017, 13:47 (Ref:3769742)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForZiE23 View Post
Does or has anybody bring there children along to events they are marshalling but without another adult? Basically i was thinking of brining my 14 1/2 year old so along with me just to a club event but don't really want to turn up to be turned away! My wife normally comes with my other younger son but cannot come this weekend. I know the normal advise "ask the circuit" but this is really just a throw it out there question for any others that may of been in this situation / thought before.

I was thinking if he did come can stay stands behind where i am marshalling opposed to walking the circuit loan ranger. And to be fair he's a sensible 14 but i appreciate that doesnt count for a great deal as its age based!
I'd have thought it would be fine - my 14 year old comes with me to events (both of us as spectators) and I'm happy for him to go an wander around on his own (usually finding things he'd like to me to buy him from the merchandise stalls!). Again he's quite sensible and has been around motorsport since a very young age so he's not completely ignorant to the do's and don'ts at a circuit. Being a teenager he's also permanently attached to his phone so we can always get hold of each other if need be and always have an agreed place to meet if all else fails.
Old 25 Sep 2017, 13:56 (Ref:3769743)   #3
ForZiE23
Rookie

United Kingdom
Thame, Oxfordshire
Thank you. See i am happy enough him to do that just as i will be the other side of the debri fence marshalling i figured rules maybe viewed differently. My main concern is to rock up and then be turned away as he's with me. Then would feel bad as letting people down by not being able to marshal that day / event
Old 25 Sep 2017, 15:19 (Ref:3769759)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Why not give you club or chief marshal a call to confirm either way.
Old 26 Sep 2017, 11:31 (Ref:3769907)   #5
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From Oxford, consider a trip to Prescott hill climb where he might be interested in paddock marshalling?
Old 26 Sep 2017, 15:48 (Ref:3769975)   #6
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
From Oxford, consider a trip to Prescott hill climb where he might be interested in paddock marshalling?
Or indeed Assembly at most circuits (assuming the club is OK with it). Indeed, in the past Nina and I have "looked after" another Marshals offspring (14) whilst doing Chief Assembly and "Dad" was out on post. Glad to say the young marshal is now 16 and doing very nicely - having now acted as Chief Assembly and regularly doing pits and S/L.

That's the very best bit of marshalling I reckon, watching others you mentor and help becoming successful.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 08:46 (Ref:3771701)   #7
ForZiE23
Rookie

United Kingdom
Thame, Oxfordshire
Thank you guys for the feedback and will look into this as he's pretty keen to get involved too.