Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 8 Aug 2004, 21:04 (Ref:1060431)   #1
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tires and the way they smell....

Recently I got 2 rear Dunlops from the Zwaans GTR Racing Viper GTS-R. My plan with one of these is to put a glass plate on top of it, to use it as a little table, with a little plate in the middle (about 10cm under the glassplate) on wich I can place some modelcars. One problem though; as some of you might know racetires have the intention to smell. A proper race smell, wich is lovely for a moment, but if you have to live in it 24/7 it'll probably get pretty annoying. Now my question is if somebody has handled with this issue before. Does anybody here know how to treat a tire to neutralize the smell? The guy who gave it to me suggested hairspray, but didn't know for sure.
Old 8 Aug 2004, 21:12 (Ref:1060442)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nearest I ever got was a kart tyre (actually as a "wooden spoon") a few years ago Never smelled of anything......
Old 8 Aug 2004, 23:17 (Ref:1060552)   #3
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a left rear tyre off of a DTM tourer form 2002, made a little wooden top for it, makes a nice table (as long as no-one sits on it...), anyway thats beside the point. Don't worry the smell does go away with time, can't remember how long it took.
In fact when I first got it, I was living in Uni halls, so it sat in the room I eat/slept/worked/etc in for quite a while, can't remember the smell ever begining a problem.

Still doesn't smell now

Hope it helps
Ed
Old 9 Aug 2004, 00:10 (Ref:1060572)   #4
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for the help mate. DTM should be kinda like the same rubber, so I'll just assemble it and see how it goes
Old 9 Aug 2004, 02:29 (Ref:1060614)   #5
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Try Hard
I was living in Uni halls, so it sat in the room I eat/slept/worked/etc in for quite a while, can't remember the smell ever begining a problem.
If it's anything like the one I'm in, there are plenty of other inexplicable smells to cover it up.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 18:55 (Ref:1061347)   #6
skid marques
Rookie

skid marques should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Put a tray of cat litter granules under the tyre- it's wonderful at adsorbing organic vapours. It does work, honest!
Old 9 Aug 2004, 20:42 (Ref:1061457)   #7
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Hmm, I'll try that Does that also work If I just put it in a basket inside the tire? And do I have to refresh the granules?
Old 9 Aug 2004, 22:23 (Ref:1061557)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No, just take the cat out now and again.......
Old 9 Aug 2004, 22:28 (Ref:1061562)   #9
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
You mean waste energy on the pet? No way, it has to clean up it's own mess But thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 04:21 (Ref:1062739)   #10
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I was able to get a RR Goodyear from Al Unser Jr's winning IROC car several years ago. I brought it home and ordered a nice round piece of glass to make a table, as you are interested in doing.

For the first several weeks, the room smelled of rubber. But it gradually dissipated, and the tire gives off no odour whatsoever anymore.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 10:41 (Ref:1062947)   #11
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Ok, I ain't worried anymore. Thanks guys.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 12:08 (Ref:1063004)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
......and the tire gives off no odour whatsoever anymore.

....except when you light it up........
Old 11 Aug 2004, 12:56 (Ref:1063029)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have a 1994 Goodyear from the Minardi of Pierluigi Martini.

It doesn't smell at all.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 21:45 (Ref:1063381)   #14
skid marques
Rookie

skid marques should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope you didn't expect anything from a 1994 Minardi to smell of roses, did you?
Old 11 Aug 2004, 23:04 (Ref:1063427)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ha ha!