Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Mar 2003, 08:18 (Ref:527471)   #1
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
holy shniekies!

VILLENEUVE in 3rd ahead of schumacher! oh my lord is honda and JV the combo, or is KIMI still better? what hapen to montoya? this is going to be a wooly F1!!!!!
Old 7 Mar 2003, 08:26 (Ref:527477)   #2
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this season is going to be interesting...
Old 7 Mar 2003, 08:41 (Ref:527484)   #3
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael went out first and with all those debris...advantage would be for the ones who comes out late because of the burned rubbers on track. We'll see what happens at 2nd qualifying round when the order would be reversed

Don get too excited

Last edited by Jukebox; 7 Mar 2003 at 08:42.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 08:52 (Ref:527488)   #4
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TGF said he felt more like a road sweeper than a 5 times WDC, according to a report at F1Racing.net. Things should be different come Saturday qualifying. Still, a magnificent performance from Jacques! And Kimi! Fernando Alonso also did well. The Williams boys were disappointingly far down the order.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 09:01 (Ref:527494)   #5
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's hope so.....I'm still waiting till the end of Sunday's GP to really assess where the BAR is in relation to the rest of the grid...with the way qualifing is now we won't really know till this time. But I am cautiously optimistic right now! (fingers crossed)
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 09:03 (Ref:527495)   #6
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox
Michael went out first and with all those debris...advantage would be for the ones who comes out late because of the burned rubbers on track. We'll see what happens at 2nd qualifying round when the order would be reversed

Don get too excited
Riggggght and Rubens went right after him and set the pole...damn Shumi must have cleared up a whole lot of debris in that one run
Old 7 Mar 2003, 09:07 (Ref:527499)   #7
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You should read and learn more about the slightest advantage one could get in any situation when you are talking about formula1 oh boy...
Old 7 Mar 2003, 09:25 (Ref:527509)   #8
allen_overy
Racer

allen_overy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Schu is making an excuse for himself.

BUt see tomorrow... he will BOUNCE BACK!! BANG BANG BANG!!!
Old 7 Mar 2003, 09:28 (Ref:527512)   #9
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox
You should read and learn more about the slightest advantage one could get in any situation when you are talking about formula1 oh boy...
I fail to see how after 2 hours running from Jag, Jordan, Minardi and Renault and subsequently the addtional running of the entire grid in regular practice didn't lay enough rubber on the track or as you say clear the debris before Schumacher's run. In any case it certainly doesn't account for a .700 difference between MS and Rubens who went out directly after him. Jukebox you are pulling at straws that don't exist. I reckon Schumacher was being a bit conservative or made a few uncharacteristic errors on his run; in any case it doesn't matter as Saturday qualifying determines the grid and MS is well positioned to have a good run tomorrow. So cheer up and get off my back.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 09:29 (Ref:527513)   #10
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree that one lap is not going to make a whole lot of difference to track condiditons and rubbering. I also say that going fourth from last or last tomorrow also makes no difference. The Ferrari is obviously the quickest car and I'm sure that the "real" effort starts tomorrow.

As for Jaques - superb effort from him and the team - same goes for Button. Button apparently had a lesser engine (already they are running out of engines!) but the class of Villeneuve was clear to be seen.

Qualifying proper is an exciting prospect, but you don't get points for that - bring on the race!

Last edited by Glen; 7 Mar 2003 at 09:32.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 12:31 (Ref:527688)   #11
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey!Don't be so worried teddy G.The first qualifying is the time you see absolute potential of the cars and your team did great.Of course they have to survive the race...and for that you can be concerned.Better than last year though huh?

I agree about michael,he's got little to worry about where he is..
Old 7 Mar 2003, 13:01 (Ref:527711)   #12
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
As much as today was fun to watch 2morrow will mean a whole lot more .
I wouldn't take much out of todays qualifying
Old 7 Mar 2003, 13:37 (Ref:527739)   #13
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Had my car been good in practice, I would do the same thing that I think MS has done and DC has admitted to doing. Sandbag so that you know what everyone else has run before you go out on the final.
Never forget #99
Old 7 Mar 2003, 13:45 (Ref:527745)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But to go out after everyone else on Saturday you have to go quicker than them on Friday!

If you mean that you don't show your hand on Friday, tehn it hasn't worked because Rubens and Kimi have revealed the pace of the Ferrari and McClaren. Oh and there are the normal practice times!

On Glen's point. While I think single lap qualifying doesn'rubber the track much I think at first blowing the dust of the track is very important. Hungary could be bad for this.

Rubens did a better job, but I think Michael was hampered (a little).
Old 7 Mar 2003, 13:47 (Ref:527748)   #15
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Better to haev Michael hampered a little than Jos or Webber. This also levels the playing field a little.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 14:01 (Ref:527769)   #16
Cobra
Racer

Cobra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quali - satis - fying

Well what can I say!!! What was once the normally boring and humdrum pre-qual period has been transformed into a tense and exciting session, which was worth getting bleary eyed for – I think the (unheard of before) 30,000 Melbourne spectators are the testimony to this.

RS nearly losing it near the second bend , beginners stumbling around and a blinder by JV makes me all the more eager for tonight

I expect Toyota to come into their own and De Matta did a stonking first half for a newcomer!!!

Best quote of the morning:

“…I only completed two laps, so I didn't know where to be on the racetrack, or where to brake. I had to switch to the T-car and thought that was it for the day - I thought we'd be qualifying 15th or something”.” Jacques Villeneuve

BRING IT ONNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!
Old 7 Mar 2003, 14:12 (Ref:527779)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
threads merged.

There are already two Q1 threads. Merging the two that are left might be a bit confusing to the discussions goin gon in both. Although there is some overlap!
Old 7 Mar 2003, 14:28 (Ref:527789)   #18
Cobra
Racer

Cobra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Adam, my mistake!!! Let me blame my weary eyes

I did try to delete my reply when I realised my error, but wasnt allowed to?

Last edited by Cobra; 7 Mar 2003 at 14:29.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 14:51 (Ref:527813)   #19
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I a Tifosi all red in and out, Bravo Barichello-Schumacher i don't think was sandbagging-Bari has out qualified him before. But the results so far of a flying lap from our past hero and new ones, da matta good show. I think the real surprise as to having Rubens, kimi on front row is that Jacques is 3rd, and montoya is so low. I don't think the new rules really affected the qualifying as much as Hondas Sink or swim effort for the year, and toyota working out their own bugs. And as said in old daily F1 renault the sleeping giant. This is going to be a cracker race, i reckon so eh?
Old 7 Mar 2003, 17:49 (Ref:527960)   #20
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You know I'm hardly a Schumacher fan, but I think he did all that he needed to do yesterday. He set a quick, though not blinding lap while first car on the track in the session. He was conservative but precise.
Rubens set the faster time because Rubens feels he has something to prove and he's trying to show he's Michael's match.

We'll see the real status of things midway through the race tomorrow.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 18:42 (Ref:527995)   #21
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by TeddyG
Let's hope so.....I'm still waiting till the end of Sunday's GP to really assess where the BAR is in relation to the rest of the grid...with the way qualifing is now we won't really know till this time. But I am cautiously optimistic right now! (fingers crossed)
I'm going to say that these pre-quals are a good opportunity to evaluate positions. Obviously with strategy overlapping into the quals, that can't be a true judge; but there is no strategic gain from running a heavy fuel-load or trying to place yourself for Saturday - you *can't* predict the weather taht well.
DC and probably Mikey were taking it easy - that's understandable, but it won't cause any major problems; and thus BAR are probably in roughly their performance position.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 21:15 (Ref:528106)   #22
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by Asp
I'm going to say that these pre-quals are a good opportunity to evaluate positions. Obviously with strategy overlapping into the quals, that can't be a true judge; but there is no strategic gain from running a heavy fuel-load or trying to place yourself for Saturday - you *can't* predict the weather taht well.
DC and probably Mikey were taking it easy - that's understandable, but it won't cause any major problems; and thus BAR are probably in roughly their performance position.
Yeah I was thinking about that last night. And I agree, if anything the Friday quals will be more like the quals of old (lightest fuel possible) and pushing nearly to the limit since there is no advantage to going early on Saturday. Everyone I would think would want to go late on Saturday to determine what the other teams strategies are before they go out i.e. roughly what time they need to set to be where they want to be on the grid in relation to their fuel strategy. So in a way Friday is more like real qualifying than Saturday! This is good news for BAR since they showed well yesterday! However it is the first GP so still I have to be cautious about getting too excited! Looking forward to the race!