Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 11 Jan 2005, 16:02 (Ref:1198216)   #1
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How long between oil changes

We're a bit conused at home about how long between oil changes. In August 2003 my dad bought a brand new Mazda 323 hatchback with a 1.6L engine (I'm not sure if the name is 323 in the rest of the world as it's called Allegro here, but any way, it's the immediate predecessor of the Mazda 3). When he bought it the guys at the dealer told him that he should change the oil every 10.000 km. That wasa bit of a surprise as everyone here used to change it every 5000km. However, an aunt who bought a brand new Renault Clio (1.4L) was told the same. But when he went to change the oil the last time the guy there told him that he should change at least every 6000km. To add more confusion to the problem an uncle bought a car idetical to that of my dad in the same dealer and only a week earlier. They also told him 10.000km but his manual says that it should be changed every 5000km.

Who should I believe? Do I have to use a special oil filter to go to 10.000Km?

I heard that the reason why oil change intervals have widened is thanks to fuel injection which reduces the risk of fuel going to the oil and diluting it. If that's the case, does that mean that every car with fuel injection can go to 10.00km? I ask this because there's also my mom's car and mine which are changing oil every 5000km.

Additional information that might be useful:
-All cars use non synthetic (or semi-synthetic if I'm not mistaken) 20W-50 Shell Helix Super motor oil.
-The air filter is changed every 10.000km.
-Mom's car: 2003 renault Twingo. 1.2L 8 valve multi point injection engine. 21.000Km
-Dad's car: 2004 Mazda 323 (???) 1.6L 16 valve multi point injection engine. 22.000Km.
-My car: 1996 Peugeot 205 GRi. 1.1L 8 valve mono-point injection engine. 91.000Km.
-Roads in this city are somewhat dusty but not excessively.
- Temperatures rarely below 0°C (32°F) or higher than 25°C (77°F). Average yearly temperature 16°C (61°F) with no noticeable seasons.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 16:21 (Ref:1198234)   #2
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
10,000km is still a fairly short inteval by UK new car standards. My car goes 12k MILES between services, and newer vehicles (especially those on variable servicing programmes) can last upto 20,000 miles between changes.

Do you have a handbook with a servicing schedule in?
Old 11 Jan 2005, 16:31 (Ref:1198250)   #3
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just goes to show how much (not necessarily accurate) information there is out there I suppose!

I don't have any direct knowledge of Mazdas, but I wouldn't be surprised if the recommended interval between oil changes in the UK is 10,000 miles (16,000 km). The trend is certainly towards longer intervals - for my 2003 Impreza it's 10,000 miles, but for older models it was 7,500 miles.

Requirements and advice inevitably change with prevailing climate and conditions, but given your climate (not particularly extreme) and even with dusty roads I'd have thought a 10,000 km interval using a standard oil filter would be fine...

Ultimately I would follow the advice in the owners' manual over that of the dealer, but check what it says about climate etc - if the manual is also used in hotter countries then the advised intervals may be shorter.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 16:57 (Ref:1198264)   #4
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
TerryC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It all depends which type of oil is used, your style of driving and the way your service interval is setup with the car. In short, the oil change interval is different in every car although most modern cars do not require an oil change for at least 10,000 miles or even longer - this is especially true for new cars that use the increasingly popular "long life" service which uses engine oil with that of a higher specification designed to last longer without any noticeable deterioration in oil quality. Having said that, some car nuts would tell you that a frequent oil change (using good quality oil) is the best thing you could do to your car, keeping it in tip top condition. You really need to check your service log book for details.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 00:27 (Ref:1198611)   #5
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for the advise. i wouldn't trust what dealers say though as they're not very honest about it. I mean, the guys at the Peugeot dealer kept telling me that I should change the oil every 3000Km. And that advise also went to people with newer models like the 307 and the 206.

My parents' cars do have modern engines (I believe that they don't have more than 4-5 years since they were released to the market) but mine is a bit old. However, this type of engine is still used in newer 206 pugs. Could that mean that I could also go all the way to 10.000Km? I'm currently using the original oil filter branded "Purflux".
Old 12 Jan 2005, 01:38 (Ref:1198650)   #6
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For most jap sourced cars up until mid 90,s the change was at 10k.
My 2003 BA Falcon has sevice intervals of 15k, and the current Ford focus has 20k intervals.
Other than that I still change the ones I do myself every 10k, oil and filter.
Old 14 Jan 2005, 02:55 (Ref:1200488)   #7
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do my own around every 6k, for newer engines I would do 10k (depending on how you drive) even if it says 20k or whatever in the manual, you can neer have too many oil changes, it's not like it costs all that much.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 15 Jan 2005, 02:42 (Ref:1201350)   #8
bartman71
Veteran

bartman71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the reason service intevals are extending is because of technology.
oils are better engines are cleaner and fuels are cleaner.
plus it helps sell a car if it has longer service intervals then its competitors
Old 15 Jan 2005, 16:40 (Ref:1201609)   #9
Sharky
Veteran

Thanks guys. I do have one final question.

Does fully synthetic oil last longer than non synthetic or semi synthetic. Someone told me once that I could only go 10k Km with 100% synthetic.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 17:09 (Ref:1217540)   #10
F1JordanUk
Racer

England
Stroud, Gloucester, UK
F1JordanUk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Every month or so (about 2000miles), ATS do it for £15 for everything and you don't get dirty, and your engine will last a million (ish) times longer
Old 6 Feb 2005, 10:27 (Ref:1218658)   #11
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That depends what ATS are putting in... for £15 I suspect it's coffee, not engine oil...
Old 6 Feb 2005, 12:58 (Ref:1218734)   #12
F1JordanUk
Racer

England
Stroud, Gloucester, UK
God no, there coffe is the most expensive stuff on earth!!
I know it's shell, but cant remeber what type!
Old 6 Feb 2005, 15:09 (Ref:1218805)   #13
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
buy a haynes manual its all in there .... thats what i did when i got my car i didnt know when to change it, but well worth the money helps with pretty much anything you need to do change on the car.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 19:50 (Ref:1219715)   #14
F1JordanUk
Racer

England
Stroud, Gloucester, UK
Apart from my washer pump went and the manual told me i had to take te hole bumper and fog light off, I undid a few screws from the inner wheel arch and it was right there!!!!
Old 7 Feb 2005, 19:52 (Ref:1219716)   #15
F1JordanUk
Racer

England
Stroud, Gloucester, UK
Oh, and watch the toruqe settings in there, I used to have a Motorbike, and the cylinder head settings were over double what they were ment to be, the snap off if you do the up to the haynes manual!!!