Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 8 Jan 2013, 16:48 (Ref:3186458)   #176
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Clive, I wasn't talking about Danica.
I know you weren't; that's just my English sense of humour. The fact is that if you add back in those NNS teams that ran a driver who did not run for points in the Championship, then Danica was 17th. For points scored per dollar spent, she wasn't even the best woman driver in NNS; that would be Johanna Long.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 23:51 (Ref:3186623)   #177
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
Why, don't you think that Danica's results last season in Nationwide fully justify her promotion to a full-time ride in Cup with a top team?
Personally I'm hoping Danica does well this season. But then again I like surprises.

One thing I hated about her IndyCar years was we all too often were made to watch her getting lapped in midfield even though there was a battle for the less. No Danica-cam thanks.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 23:54 (Ref:3186625)   #178
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would you look at that... Phoenix racing goes from possibly shutting down to running another full season. Plan is for Regan Smith to run 10 races, AJ for the others. Will also run select NNS events.

Dave Blaney is going to test at Daytona for TBR, so looks like he's back again with them.
Old 9 Jan 2013, 00:01 (Ref:3186632)   #179
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
One thing I hated about her IndyCar years was we all too often were made to watch her getting lapped in midfield even though there was a battle for the less. No Danica-cam thanks.
In the U.S., the vast majority of the TV broadcast is purchased by someone, even the racing portions. That's how they get away with these ridiculous prices they pay for the rights.

So, when you're seeing Danica, it means GoDaddy.com bought that airtime. Same when you see Harvick's Budweiser car or Johnson's Lowe's crew doing a pit stop etc, etc. As long as GoDaddy.com buys time and sponsors Danica, you're watching her, wherever she is. The entire Indy 500, in fact, is paid for by GoDaddy; they buy that time on ABC.

Assuming you guys get the U.S. feed in the U.K., that's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
Would you look at that... Phoenix racing goes from possibly shutting down to running another full season. Plan is for Regan Smith to run 10 races, AJ for the others. Will also run select NNS events.

Dave Blaney is going to test at Daytona for TBR, so looks like he's back again with them.
Like they do every year. Next predictable Phoenix Racing event? Firing someone for not going fast enough in practice and rehiring Mike Bliss.

Blaney will be with TBR, just not in the 36 car. Keeping the 10's owner points (but using a different number).
Old 9 Jan 2013, 01:29 (Ref:3186652)   #180
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
In the U.S., the vast majority of the TV broadcast is purchased by someone, even the racing portions. That's how they get away with these ridiculous prices they pay for the rights.

So, when you're seeing Danica, it means GoDaddy.com bought that airtime. Same when you see Harvick's Budweiser car or Johnson's Lowe's crew doing a pit stop etc, etc. As long as GoDaddy.com buys time and sponsors Danica, you're watching her, wherever she is. The entire Indy 500, in fact, is paid for by GoDaddy; they buy that time on ABC.

Assuming you guys get the U.S. feed in the U.K., that's why.
and why Jeff Gordon always seems to be the "Pizza Hut Fan Favourite". Who sponsors him again?
Old 9 Jan 2013, 10:16 (Ref:3186774)   #181
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting Jacques Rabbit, didn't realize that but always wondered why we would always see Hendricks cars on TV when running mid-pack... It makes sense, back in the day when Schumi was dominating F1, we always had to watch him out on his own when there was dicing going on behind - thanks Marlboro & Shell! Same thing happens in Aussie V8 - everything in Vodafone, boring

About time Stanley invested in air-time
Old 9 Jan 2013, 13:25 (Ref:3186851)   #182
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Allgaier to run the full NNS for the newly-renamed Turner Scott Motorsports in the #31 BRANDT Chevrolet.

I'm glad Allgaier didn't lose his drive.
Old 9 Jan 2013, 13:40 (Ref:3186855)   #183
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post

That's a crock. I've always said that there are (up to) 43 rolling billboards on track and billboards plastered everywhere plus the Ford cut away car etc., there is no need for actual commercial breaks. Now I find this out, assume JR is correct (which sounds right), and I should have figured, but good grief. "What in the hell is the world coming to." Buford T Justice.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 07:01 (Ref:3187566)   #184
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Allgaier to run the full NNS for the newly-renamed Turner Scott Motorsports in the #31 BRANDT Chevrolet.

I'm glad Allgaier didn't lose his drive.
Speaking of this team, their truck effort expands to 4 teams, Jeb Burton in the #4, alongside the 3 unchanged teams. That's right, Piquet remains with this team in trucks, with Buescher and Paludo returning.

Also, wow! Apparently the #33 who won at Homestead with Cale Gale (I think?) has shut down due to losing sponsorship to Turner. Gale is listed at the crew chief for a turner Motorsports team.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 10:32 (Ref:3187647)   #185
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Piquet still in Trucks
Old 12 Jan 2013, 05:51 (Ref:3188051)   #186
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Danica Patrick going for ROTY against Stenhouse in Cup. Official. Also, Austin Dillon will run some Cup races for Finch. Michael Waltrip will run for the #30 team at Daytona.
Old 12 Jan 2013, 10:13 (Ref:3188113)   #187
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
How did Daytona testing go - any times?
Old 12 Jan 2013, 12:07 (Ref:3188155)   #188
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Dodge and RCR? What's it going to take to get Dodge Motorsports interested in NASCAR again? How about an organization such as Richard Childress Racing? One of the reasons cited for Dodge's departure from NASCAR at the end of the 2012 season was the inability to secure an organization equal to Penske Racing's stature. Although Dodge representatives flirted with Furniture Row Racing, Richard Petty Motorsports and Andretti Racing, nothing materialized from the meetings. However, what if Dodge could secure an organization that boasts six Cup titles, three Nationwide Series championships and two Truck titles? "I haven't talk to anybody," team owner Richard Childress said on Friday. "No one has approached me yet." Still, the rumor persists.(FoxSports)(1-11-2013)
It's fun to speculate but I don't see this happen.
Old 12 Jan 2013, 13:00 (Ref:3188171)   #189
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
Danica Patrick going for ROTY against Stenhouse in Cup. Official.
....and NASCAR had to rewrite its own rules to allow it! Rule was, if you drove more than seven events in any one season in a given category, you rendered yourself ineligible for the ROTY award in that category. NASCAR has weaseled out by making that starts in the category for which a driver has elected to score points; thus Danica's ten starts in Cup last season don't count, because she chose instead to score points in the Nationwide.

The question may of course be academic, as it is difficult to imagine her having a better season than Stenhouse Jr.
Old 12 Jan 2013, 13:09 (Ref:3188173)   #190
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
How did Daytona testing go - any times?
Yesterday afternoon was the first session where the cars ran in a pack. Trevor Bayne was fastest at 199.850mph.

The session was interrupted part way through when Ambrose, running second in the draft, came into contact with Earnhardt Jr., who was was third, with the usual predictable superspeedway results....

Fastest of the single car runs over the first three sessions was Kevin Harvick, at 193.150.
Old 12 Jan 2013, 16:51 (Ref:3188230)   #191
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The rule wasn't changed for Danica, though. The "electing points" rule has been in place since 2010. If anything, it's the Trevor Bayne rule, as he'll be a seasoned veteran by the time he runs for ROTY.
Old 12 Jan 2013, 17:39 (Ref:3188240)   #192
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Yeah, but when the "electing points" edict came into force, was the eligibility rule for ROTY amended at the same time? That's what interests me....
Old 12 Jan 2013, 17:43 (Ref:3188241)   #193
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Saturday morning session ran as single car runs. Late on, some teams attempted runs in qualifying trim.

Fastest was Matt Kenseth at 194.62, followed by Trevor Bayne and Danica Patrick.
Old 12 Jan 2013, 18:28 (Ref:3188257)   #194
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
....and NASCAR had to rewrite its own rules to allow it! Rule was, if you drove more than seven events in any one season in a given category, you rendered yourself ineligible for the ROTY award in that category. NASCAR has weaseled out by making that starts in the category for which a driver has elected to score points; thus Danica's ten starts in Cup last season don't count, because she chose instead to score points in the Nationwide.

The question may of course be academic, as it is difficult to imagine her having a better season than Stenhouse Jr.
DP to challenging for ROTY gives more reason to give the princess more attention.

And while I agree with you, that she shouldn't challenge Stenhouse for the award, stranger things have happened. Some have absolutely dominated in Busch/NW only to come up limping through a career in Cup; I don't see Stenhouse doing so. Time will tell.
Old 12 Jan 2013, 18:52 (Ref:3188264)   #195
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Quote:
Yeah, but when the "electing points" edict came into force, was the eligibility rule for ROTY amended at the same time? That's what interests me....
Sorry, Clive; I worded that horribly.

When I said "'electing points' rule" I meant the rule pertaining to ROTY, but reading that back, I can't see how anyone would have known that's what I meant!

Also, I said 2010, and it turns out the rules changed in 2011...what a mess I made; I thought Bayne won Daytona in 2010.

I'll try again now.

In 2011, when the electing for points thing started, the ROTY eligibility rules also changed.

In 2011 and 2012, you must have run more than 7 races while eligible for points to lose eligibility for ROTY, so the rule changed pre-Danica.
Old 12 Jan 2013, 19:32 (Ref:3188273)   #196
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Thanks, JR; all is clear now!

I am only surprised to have seen this queried in other places where one would have thought they should have known better.... To a certain extent, NASCAR have rewritten their own rules to circumscribe their original intent, as they have made it possible for a driver experienced in a series still to win ROTY in that series. Just supposing a driver were to perform so well in Trucks as to progress straight to a full-time Cup ride, he or she could theoretically move back down to NNS, and contend for ROTY.

NASCAR really should have stuck to their original ruling....

Last edited by Clive Brown; 12 Jan 2013 at 19:57.
Old 12 Jan 2013, 22:33 (Ref:3188335)   #197
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Saturday morning session ran as single car runs. Late on, some teams attempted runs in qualifying trim.

Fastest was Matt Kenseth at 194.62, followed by Trevor Bayne and Danica Patrick.
Half the teams seemed to go home after the wreck though didnt they?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 13 Jan 2013, 08:16 (Ref:3188465)   #198
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Yep! Most teams reckon they had all the info they needed...

So do we blame Jnr for wrecking Ambrose
Old 13 Jan 2013, 12:02 (Ref:3188512)   #199
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=1Ngtbyo6CDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Yep! Most teams reckon they had all the info they needed...

So do we blame Jnr for wrecking Ambrose
The commentators tried to blame Edwards...

The cars are looking much better.

Last edited by FIRE; 13 Jan 2013 at 12:12.
Old 13 Jan 2013, 14:59 (Ref:3188547)   #200
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Former WTCC driver Harry Vaulkhard could be set for a NASCAR switch in 2013, Burning Rubber can reveal today. Vaulkhard will test a Nationwide NASCAR machine on Thursday or Friday after being approached by the MacDonald Motorsport squad last month.