Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 12 Apr 2008, 15:48 (Ref:2175903)   #1
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Reversion

spent a very frustrating day on the dyno today, ironed out horrible torque glitches by taking off the Carlos fandango exhaust manifold and putting an original 60's small bore Geoff Howe one, actually increased torque considerably and kept the same power, I knew the manifold was crap!

still very dissapointed with the numbers its giving, BUT, the big problem is reversion, we get maximum power at around 6800-7000 depending on how we had it set up but at 7100 it drops like a lead baloon, didn't sound right, you could see the fuel clouding by the trumpets, cleared slightly by 7500 and power/torque came up again slightly but its not right . . . . any ideas ?

possibly something not right with the cam gear drive ? shouldn't be valve bounce at those revs, or points bounce even . . .
Old 12 Apr 2008, 16:52 (Ref:2175923)   #2
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When you have large torque numbers under the curve, HP drops quickly after peak. Put back on your old exhuast and have lower torque numbers under the curve but high HP numbers.

Not always able to have both.

Torque gets out of corners and UP to speed. HP gives you higher top end speed.

we all know corner exit speed and acceleration makes the straight. Question now is, do the extra hp up top make up for the loss of under the curve lower end torque? I say NO it does not.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 17:50 (Ref:2175951)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Valve float . . . . thats the thought at the moment . . .
Old 12 Apr 2008, 19:09 (Ref:2176000)   #4
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Valve float:

- too high of rpm
- warn out or not strong enough springs poor valve seat.
- valves too heavy for rpm range

Good luck with sorting it out
Old 12 Apr 2008, 19:21 (Ref:2176005)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
7100 I don't think so
new head, new springs, BUT, I think the cam ramps/profile might like more spring. Never had any problems with Serdi cutting valve seats
valves aren't the lightest, but 7k isn't that much, and I've run the same engine to 8k in the past without the problem, albeit different springs and cam
Old 12 Apr 2008, 22:57 (Ref:2176115)   #6
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Then it most likely is not valve float.

What are you running? I had to put sodium filled valves and titanium retainers for safe running above 6300. But then again it is 5.8L V8 too, My red line is 6750

Last edited by AU N EGL; 12 Apr 2008 at 23:00.
Old 13 Apr 2008, 00:10 (Ref:2176139)   #7
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You say fuel clouding by the trumpets? Have you got a standoff problem? Longer, or full-radius trumpets may cure it. It's all to do with the resonant length of your inlet tract.

Standoff is a phenomenon where fuel droplets are suspended over the carburetor inlet due to induction-system pulsations.

I did see a Dave Vizard design known as the "saucepan" which was a 'stepped' parallel trumpet, with a full radius edge. They produced good figures, and cured most standoff issues.

Rob.
Old 13 Apr 2008, 06:45 (Ref:2176219)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll agree with that,it's something I've seen with a few engines, as R59 says,different ,longer trumpets could cure it.A lot of the original F5000 cars suffered the same problem!
Old 13 Apr 2008, 07:00 (Ref:2176222)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I think I have a longer set, but the inner wing isn't far away when we get it back in the car!

the reason I'm guessing at valve float is the noise, something sounds a bit harsh as well.

I'm going to play with anopther head today and seeif I can get away with a spring shim, we can probably do that on the engine without taking it off the dyno, got to be worth a try before pulling everything apart
Old 13 Apr 2008, 11:41 (Ref:2176354)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Zef. what poundage are you running at the fitted spring length ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 13 Apr 2008, 15:05 (Ref:2176470)   #11
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
If I had a spring tester I'd tell you . . . I'm going to try and test it with some bathroom scales, but from finger feel its not as high as my old head which had VS37's @34mm . . .

I've just spent 4 hours on the old head ( Goodwood one) re porting to get to 80% port/valve size . . . I was using some other old dudes head as a guide still got 4 ports to go, and half filled a takeaway tub with swarf and dust! . . . we'll swap the heads over in the week and see what happens

head on the engine at the mo has 34mm installed Iskeys, idea being 11.6mm lift, 21mm bound and 1.4 to spare . . . . obviously not right.
Old 13 Apr 2008, 18:57 (Ref:2176590)   #12
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
You really want 80--90lbs otherwise they will actually bounce on the seat (especially if the valves are heavy) Its always a compromise getting the fitted height vs poundage on full lift, and as you know it takes a fair bit of time to get it right. I do run them close to coil bound ! but don't forget I don't use loads of lift.
I wonder where you found that old dude's head !

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 13 Apr 2008 at 18:59.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 13 Apr 2008, 19:00 (Ref:2176595)   #13
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Its al adding up to the old 'pre crossflow' rule, monster duration/overlap. average lift . . .although I'm currently experimenting with 6 of one and half a dozen of the other !
Old 14 Apr 2008, 08:47 (Ref:2176919)   #14
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
I think I have a longer set, but the inner wing isn't far away when we get it back in the car!

the reason I'm guessing at valve float is the noise, something sounds a bit harsh as well.

I'm going to play with anopther head today and seeif I can get away with a spring shim, we can probably do that on the engine without taking it off the dyno, got to be worth a try before pulling everything apart
As I understand it, as engine revs increase, the length of the inlet tract needs to be shorter, not longer. For best wave ram tuning at 7100 rpm the length from the back of the inlet valve to the tip of the trumpet should be around 350mm (reference: Heinz Heisler, Advanced Engine Technology ISBN 0 340 56822 4 page 262) and for 7500 rpm 330mm, 8000 rpm 310mm.

If your inlet is around that length then the problem is probably somewhere else, particularly as you have run this inlet arrangement before with success upto 8000 rpm.

On the dyno, what length exhaust are you running after the manifold? If it is too short, or too large in diameter, this could cause this kind of problem as you could have fairly large positive pressure waves reaching the exhaust valve while it is still open in the overlap period.

If it was valve bounce at 7100 rpm, wouldn't it get worse as the engine revs went beyond 7100 rpm, not better? I don't know the answer, but I imagine it would get worse.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 11:49 (Ref:2177107)   #15
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
If it was valve bounce at 7100 rpm, wouldn't it get worse as the engine revs went beyond 7100 rpm, not better? I don't know the answer, but I imagine it would get worse.
Not necessarily Spring harmonics do funny things !
Old 14 Apr 2008, 12:35 (Ref:2177169)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I can see this is going to turn to guitars soon Gordon

going to play with the bathroom scales and see what I can decifer in a mo. . . .
Old 14 Apr 2008, 13:48 (Ref:2177230)   #17
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They wont bring the ball back after youve thrown it Zef,think you might need a rest.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 13:53 (Ref:2177236)   #18
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
81lb on the nose according to our digital scales . . . . a 2.5mm washers makes 100lb on the nose, too much, so I'm making some 1.5mm shims, hopefully that'll be as near as damn it 90lb and we'll go from there.

If only I knew what I was doing in the first place
Old 14 Apr 2008, 14:03 (Ref:2177245)   #19
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Ever thought of doing this full time Zef,seems like your getting pretty good at it.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 16:02 (Ref:2177312)   #20
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I need to earn a living Terry

you should know that messing about in garages and experiments on engines doesn't earn you a living

unless by sum sheer fluke it works

hopefully problem solved so back on the dyno next week now
Old 14 Apr 2008, 16:35 (Ref:2177339)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Only too well Zef,I should have gone into I.T, but they had'nt been invented then!! Good luck next week,I'm sure it'll be fine,got to give at least 190 to be "Up there" amongst the Drabbles etc.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 18:03 (Ref:2177406)   #22
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
the more I learn, the more everyone else is fibbing, or more politely put, believing the twaddle they're told!
Old 14 Apr 2008, 18:39 (Ref:2177428)   #23
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
the more I learn, the more everyone else is fibbing, or more politely put, believing the twaddle they're told!

The secrets out.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 18:41 (Ref:2177430)   #24
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I'll echo that!

But we all learn from your problems Zeff, thanks to this forum and yours and others contributions to it.

Last edited by phoenix; 14 Apr 2008 at 18:45.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 20:36 (Ref:2177521)   #25
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
HEY HEY no off topic political discussions here.