Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 19 Feb 2016, 13:10 (Ref:3615982)   #1
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your All-Time best Sim Racing games

Here's my list http://nasportscar.com/sim-review-ra...s-of-all-time/

What's yours...I probably should expand it out to 10
Old 19 Feb 2016, 13:14 (Ref:3615984)   #2
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rfactor 2 is technologically the cutting edge at the moment (with tyre model, chassis flex etc).

Otherwise...

Grand Prix Legends (the real breakthrough sim)
Nascar 2003
Richard Burns Rally
Old 19 Feb 2016, 20:04 (Ref:3616111)   #3
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I tried to play RF2 the other day and uninstalled it after a few hours.

Every single car, whether road car or not has zero front grip, and the tyre model has been allowed to take over the entire game.

Games (there is no such thing as a true sim on any computer really) are supposed to be fun, and driving a car that has zero grip for laps on end is totally unrealistic and also utterly boring and insipid.

I am annoyed I paid for early access for the game, it is utter garbage, slow paced and really very, very disappointing.

If that is cutting edge, I am a Chinaman really. There is only one answer currently and that is Iracing.

Best game overall for me is RF1, which is why RF2 being such utter rot disappoints me so much. As ISI let themselves get totally distracted from what they should ahve been doing which was to simply update that.
Old 19 Feb 2016, 22:36 (Ref:3616144)   #4
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I wonder if I can download TOCA and the Microprose GP series onto steam, just for old times sake
Old 21 Feb 2016, 00:04 (Ref:3616384)   #5
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most fun - GP2 (hell, all the Crammond games!!)
Most modded - GTR2 (but I prefrered Simbin over ISI)
Most intense racing - iRacing (nothing compares to the online competition, despite it minor issues atm.
Hardest but most rewarding - GPL (never has completing one lap felt so good and GPLRank was the boss)

Last edited by JABWOA; 21 Feb 2016 at 00:05. Reason: Can't forget GPL!!
Old 22 Feb 2016, 14:59 (Ref:3616739)   #6
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I tried to play RF2 the other day and uninstalled it after a few hours.

Every single car, whether road car or not has zero front grip, and the tyre model has been allowed to take over the entire game.
The default setups are quite conservative so you may well get understeer with them. But I wonder if you are suffering a glitch? There is an issue that if the game starts to run out of memory it slows down and doesn't respond to the controller giving the impression of bizarre understeer.

Yes, RF1 is still worthwhile, particularly some of the historic add-ons such as the 1971 F1 season.

My other old favourite is IndyCar Racing 2 - anyone remember this?
Old 22 Feb 2016, 18:19 (Ref:3616799)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Undoubtedly GPL. Head and shoulders above everything else and a brilliant challenge. Dated now of course, but still huge fun. I've dabbled in RF where the vast number of mods made it worthwhile. Currently enjoying PCars, but only on an occasional fun basis. Way too slow to introduce more cars and tracks - and having to pay for them too
Old 22 Feb 2016, 23:51 (Ref:3616885)   #8
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GPL will always have first place in my heart.

Honourable mentions are:
  • Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix. Where it all started! I remember playing it for the first time ever on PC at the 1992 Autosport show at London Earls Court. The following year I got an Amiga 600 and played it to death driving full GP distances even back then!
  • The original GTR by Simbin. It was the first time I ever heard realistic sounding drivetrain sound effects. Back in the early 2000s it was amazing! I would also consider it personally to be second-hardest to drive after GPL.
  • GTR2. New and improved GTR. Fond league racing memories.
  • Rfactor - Mods, mods, mods! There were so many, but I really enjoyed GP '79.
  • Live For Speed. Ok most of the tracks and cars are fictitious, but it actually had a pretty good public racing scene. I didn't see nearly as much wrecking than in other sims at the time
  • Simbin Race Series. This has a soft-spot since I did quite a stint of league racing with this racing touring cars, GTs and single seaters. The mods were generally pretty good quality too.
  • Rfactor 2. I personally find this one a little trickier, but it is a technical marvel and no mistake. I don't tend to drive as much as I used to and so have not league-raced it, but I've done a few community events and it's pretty good.

I can't really speak for AC or PCars since I haven't really had anything to do with them.
Old 25 Feb 2016, 12:01 (Ref:3617665)   #9
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
GPL and NR2003 for me. The early days of iRacing were pretty good, but I really disliked the "new tyre model" and the direction the sim took.
Old 7 Apr 2016, 01:39 (Ref:3630838)   #10
McLean Fan
Racer

Australia
Currumbin
McLean Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do none of you rate Assetto Corsa ?
Old 7 Apr 2016, 18:17 (Ref:3630993)   #11
jimothy84
Racer

England
Swindon, Wiltshire
jimothy84 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
iRacing, hands down. Not cheap, but it's used by actual racing drivers for a reason...
Old 8 Apr 2016, 14:44 (Ref:3631213)   #12
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLean Fan View Post
Do none of you rate Assetto Corsa ?
Yes. But it has a lack of real racing series in it. The beauty of GPL and NR2003 is you can sit and do an offline championship. Assetto Corsa doesn't have a decent sized grid of any real series and is missing tracks from them all too. This is common in most modern games, but AC especially.
Old 8 Apr 2016, 17:45 (Ref:3631256)   #13
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
- Don't know the name of the game but it was a F1 game on Commodore 64. My first "3d" racing game experience.
- GP
- GP2
- GT3
- DTM Race Driver 2. My first online racing experience.
- iRacing