Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Jan 2009, 18:02 (Ref:2383313)   #26
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
And he's still a good 20kg lighter than me. Oh dear.
Me too!
Old 31 Jan 2009, 18:10 (Ref:2383316)   #27
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This talk of statistics ... what about Superstars - F1 Special?
Old 31 Jan 2009, 18:58 (Ref:2383329)   #28
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps we should have a new "ism" to go along with racism, sexism, etc etc. Seriously though the sport has become the home of the short and skinny, in fact i have seen bigger jockeys. Those people who are tall or have a muscular frame have no chance. The likes of James Hunt would have no chance today. No doubt in mind mind the rules should be changed to force all teams to provide a cockpit big enough to accommodate a broad range of sizes. Weight should be ballasted up for the lighter driver to a higher limit for the same reason. In fact if you think about it, with peoples all over the world becoming taller and larger due to better diets, Formula One drivers are completely unrepresentative of the population in general.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 19:10 (Ref:2383334)   #29
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
Formula One drivers are completely unrepresentative of the population in general.
Agreed.They're all male for a start,which is why you never hear from them those immortal words: "Does my bum look big in this?"
Old 31 Jan 2009, 19:14 (Ref:2383337)   #30
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot
Agreed.They're all male for a start,which is why you never hear from them those immortal words: "Does my bum look big in this?"
Forgot about that, at least Indy Car has Danica Also have to admit i am a bit biased being 6.2", it's a real squeeze in a Formula Ford.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 19:18 (Ref:2383341)   #31
jedrinck
Racer

jedrinck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, but you may hear something like 'Ooh, I shouldn't have eaten that celery, another 11 calories I'll have to get rid of on the treadmill'.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 19:25 (Ref:2383342)   #32
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think a level of ballast for lighter drivers, plus possibly a requirement to be able to fit an average size person in the car could be sensible. Formula SAE requires the car to be able to fit a 90th percentile bloke and a 10th percentile woman (?), that could be a bit extreme for F1 where the cars aren't designed with anything like mass production in mind.

Last edited by duke_toaster; 31 Jan 2009 at 19:31.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 19:27 (Ref:2383343)   #33
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Headline:

'Webber grabs pole after having right leg amputated'

"It was real crook anyway mate".Said a joyful Mark Webber.

Last edited by Marbot; 31 Jan 2009 at 19:32.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 23:57 (Ref:2383440)   #34
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown
... decide the grid for each and every race by staging a massed fist-fight between all the drivers . Last man standing's on pole !
I would have liked to see this in the era before the drivers were all rich kids destined from birth to make it to F1. Sir Jack vs Graham Hill, Andretti vs Hunt etc.

Jeff
Old 1 Feb 2009, 00:03 (Ref:2383442)   #35
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Jonesy v. Piquet Snr. contest nearly happened for real . That would have been brief , but interesting ....
Old 1 Feb 2009, 00:53 (Ref:2383456)   #36
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Formula SAE requires the car to be able to fit a 90th percentile bloke and a 10th percentile woman
At the same time?
Old 1 Feb 2009, 01:04 (Ref:2383458)   #37
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hey, even the Isetta conforms to that!
Old 1 Feb 2009, 11:22 (Ref:2383614)   #38
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
I remember the film where Hunt floors the marshall with a single right hook, so my money would have been on him.
Old 1 Feb 2009, 12:10 (Ref:2383631)   #39
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfit
At the same time?
Nope, it's a single seater car - if you haven't seen one, the MRT car in Live For Speed is a FSAE car (McGill's entry from a few years ago). That's all IIRC, the sizes might be different but it can't be too small or be difficult to drive for someone short. I presume they can adjust the pedals and things as well.

Last edited by duke_toaster; 1 Feb 2009 at 12:14.
Old 1 Feb 2009, 12:26 (Ref:2383634)   #40
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
And it's a 95th percentile male that must fit, no rule about smaller people. Just checked the 2009 FSAE rules.

Large PDF warning - page 51 for the diagram.
Old 1 Feb 2009, 12:50 (Ref:2383643)   #41
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown
I've thought of a great way to both save the cost of all that unnecessary running round in practice and qualifying , and to mitigate the weight advantage currently enjoyed by the more delicately-formed drivers ; decide the grid for each and every race by staging a massed fist-fight between all the drivers . Last man standing's on pole !
Hmm, interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Allen
Welcome to the 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix at Interlagos, where Jose Froilan Gonzalez has taken his 803rd consecutive pole position...
Old 1 Feb 2009, 13:58 (Ref:2383680)   #42
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Will drivers be allowed weapons? If so, Bertrand Gachot might have been more successful!
Old 1 Feb 2009, 19:53 (Ref:2383762)   #43
Devilsadvocate
Rookie

Devilsadvocate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hasn't a drivers weight always been an issue? The only real difference now is the fact that KERS is coming in and making every last Kilo a bigger issue.

It is interesting that both Kimi and Fernando are reported to have deliberately lost weight in preparing for the 2009 season.
Old 1 Feb 2009, 19:58 (Ref:2383768)   #44
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsadvocate

It is interesting that both Kimi and Fernando are reported to have deliberately lost weight in preparing for the 2009 season.
I believe that both are included in an article in a recent edition of 'Slimming Monthly'.
Old 1 Feb 2009, 20:12 (Ref:2383777)   #45
Devilsadvocate
Rookie

Devilsadvocate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I believe that both are included in an article in a recent edition of 'Slimming Monthly'.
They're on front cover of the Weight Watchers magazine too.
Old 1 Feb 2009, 20:37 (Ref:2383795)   #46
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
A minimum weight for seat+driver would be sensible. However, what should the weight of the driver be presumed to be? Bearing in mind that F1 drivers, being athletes in this sort of sport will not be heavier than average (so looking at the weights of American Footballers wouldn't work) ... would 75kg + gear + seat be a sensible minimum weight for driver + seat?
Old 1 Feb 2009, 20:57 (Ref:2383804)   #47
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsadvocate
Fernando has acheived his weight loss by running 10kms daily and cutting all saturated fat and refined sugar from his diet. Kimi simply can't be bothered to get up to go to the fridge.
Old 2 Feb 2009, 00:33 (Ref:2383913)   #48
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
I bought the 'Kimi Raikkonen's laid back slimming' DVD,but I can't be........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 2 Feb 2009, 01:17 (Ref:2383928)   #49
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well he could try Michael Phelps' solution also, they say it's guaranteed...
Old 2 Feb 2009, 01:22 (Ref:2383932)   #50
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I bought the 'Kimi Raikkonen's laid back slimming' DVD,but I can't be........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Don't underestimate the Finn...