Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Jan 2003, 17:36 (Ref:475303)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The FIA's rule plans for this season

FLASH: The FIA's cost revolution
The FIA called the F1 team principals together on Wednesday in London and informed them that it intends to rigorously apply its existing rules from the start of the coming season to cut costs dramatically. The measures announced for 2003 include the banning of third cars, the sealing of cars in parc ferme between the end of qualifying and the race, the elimination of pit to car telemetry, car to pit telemetry, all radio communication between the team and the drivers and all traction-control, launch-control and fully automatic gearboxes (although this may be delayed because of practical issues). The FIA has also said that it will allow the use of common components.

For 2004 the FIA says it will introduce sporting regulations to introduce standard braking systems, a standard rear wing, long-life components and will require car manufacturers involved in F1 to supply engines to all competing teams and in 2005 will insist that engines be used for two races and will introduce penalties for component changes. For 2006 the FIA says it will require the same engine to be used for six races and will seek the agreement of the teams to introduce newe technical regulations to eliminate the use of expensive exotic materials in any part of the car, including the engine.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 17:40 (Ref:475319)   #2
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is this confirmed for next year or just what they hope too achieve at the meeting? If it's confirmed then wahoooooo!!!
Old 15 Jan 2003, 17:47 (Ref:475334)   #3
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All good, but I do have a strong allergy to the word 'standard'. This is a really bad word. 'Long-life' I agree. Penalties for component changes? That's really great. (altough I cannot see how this will cut costs. In short term. They will... eventrually, but only for those who survive) 'Ban exotic' that's fine too.... OK, not fine but acceptable. But 'standard wings and brakes' Sheese, leave them to F3000 or Champcars.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 17:50 (Ref:475343)   #4
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Agreed there. What I like is the banning of any radio communication and all the various aids. It'll make the spectacle fantastic! I'm looking forward to seeing smoke signals coming from the wall!
Old 15 Jan 2003, 17:52 (Ref:475346)   #5
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm beginning to suspect that FIA officials actually read this forum...

I most definately like the banning of radiocommunications as well, but i have my doubts about the banning of car-to-pit telemetry. I mean, how are they going to set their cars up during practice and stuff without telemetry?
Feeling the car?

I doubt that everyone on the grid would be able to perfectly balance the car on feeling alone.
Maybe Schumacher or Coulthard but that's it really IMO...

Last edited by ASCII Man; 15 Jan 2003 at 17:56.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 17:55 (Ref:475349)   #6
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow. I don't think it will have much effect on the status quo (the quicker ccr and the quicker driver will remain so) , but it certainly gives the smaller teams the ability to concentrate on affordable issues.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 17:57 (Ref:475353)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I doubt very much that the FIA base it's decisions on what is written here. Hopefully not, otherwise we are in big trouble!
Old 15 Jan 2003, 17:59 (Ref:475354)   #8
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic! It'll be nice to see those rear wheels light up again.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 15 Jan 2003, 18:00 (Ref:475357)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Here is a link to the press statement on grandprix.com

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns07603.html
Old 15 Jan 2003, 18:04 (Ref:475363)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I just can't believe this is true. But here is the pdf from the FIA:

http://www.fia.com/PRESSE/F1-A/2003/...3-Measures.pdf
Old 15 Jan 2003, 18:06 (Ref:475367)   #11
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ®îjñtjûh
I most definately like the banning of radiocommunications as well, but i have my doubts about the banning of car-to-pit telemetry. I mean, how are they going to set their cars up during practice and stuff without telemetry?
Feeling the car?

I doubt that everyone on the grid would be able to perfectly balance the car on feeling alone.
Maybe Schumacher or Coulthard but that's it really IMO...
Simple - on-board telemetry. Exactly the same, but you have to bring the car in and plug it in before you can find out anything. Just like regular road cars. Proceedure will be nearly identical for practice, testing and quali - but they will no longer have the ability to dynamically alter a car as it is racing, or continually assess a car as it is racing.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 18:08 (Ref:475369)   #12
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is fantastic news..........

for all these year Max Mosley has been a pussy cat when it comes to sorting out this problem .them WHAAM !.....

brillant !
Old 15 Jan 2003, 18:16 (Ref:475376)   #13
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It looks great on paper, much needed and about time. Lets hope that it actually happens and the teams don't find a way to wriggle out of it. No doubt certain team personnel are wriggling as we speak...!!!!
Old 15 Jan 2003, 18:18 (Ref:475378)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
2003 Summary:[list=1][*]eliminate pit to car telemetry[*]eliminate car to pit telemetry[*]eliminate all radio communication between team and driver[*]allow only two cars per team (ie no spare car)[*]place cars in parc fermé between final qualifying and the race (teams will be unable to work on them, except under strict supervision)[*]eliminate traction control, launch control and fully automatic gearboxes[*]allow teams to use common components[/list=1]

It does say at the bottom: possible derogation for all or part of 2003 to be followed by absolute enforcement in 2004, if necessary by means of standard electronic control

Does that mean it may take time to introduce?

Last edited by Adam43; 15 Jan 2003 at 18:26.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 18:22 (Ref:475383)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
The pdf of the official release can be found here:

http://www.fia.com/PRESSE/F1-A/2003/15-01-2003-Note.pdf

It includes at the end:

Article 2.6
It is the duty of each Competitor to satisfy the FIA technical delegate and the Stewards of the Meeting that his automobile complies with these regulations in their entirety at all times during an Event. The design of the car, its components and systems shall, with the exception of safety features, demonstrate their compliance with these regulations by means of physical inspection of hardware or materials. No mechanical design may rely upon software inspection as a means of ensuring its compliance.
(The underlined portion of this rule was added for 2003 on proposal of the teams.)

So what is trying to be achieved here? :confused:

Last edited by Adam43; 15 Jan 2003 at 18:24.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 18:27 (Ref:475388)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
2004 Summary:
[list=1][*]require the use of a standard braking system[*]require the use of a standard rear wing[*]require the use of long-life components[*]ensure that car manufacturers involved in Formula One supply engines to all competing teams[/list=1]

Last edited by Adam43; 15 Jan 2003 at 18:29.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 18:32 (Ref:475391)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
2005 Summary:[list=1][*]engine life to be extended from one to two races[*]a further extension to the life of major components[*]new penalties for engine or component changes outside permitted times[/list=1]

2006 Summary:[list=1][*]engine life to be extended to six races[/list=1]

and finally a general one:[list=1][*]eliminate the use of expensive exotic materials in any part of the car, including the engine.[/list=1]

Phew, that's it. It's a lot to take in. And makes very interesting reading. I've tried to make everything as clear as possible. Discuss.

Last edited by Adam43; 15 Jan 2003 at 18:36.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 18:35 (Ref:475394)   #18
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
It looks like for 2003 the FIA are allowing some electronic control elements to continue if they cannot be implemented by the team in time. I presume they are assuming that most teams have already designed their software and eletronic control systems for 2003.

Personally I feel having gone this far the FIA should have grasped the nettle and banned it from now totally, if Ferrari or whoever turn up in Aus and the cars won't fire up - tough!!!! I bet if they had introduced a new electronic system the teams would have it running by the next week!!!!

Delighted to see the FIA finally getting tough, I've always maintained that the very last thing teams acutally wanted to do was to cut costs, just be seem to talk about it - thus it has come to pass, asking the teams to agree on proposals was like getting turkeys to vote for Christmas - therefore it had to be rules enforced upon them.

A definate turning point for F1, without a doubt.

BTW, Adam thanks for changing the title on the post to make it more relevant.

ST
Old 15 Jan 2003, 18:36 (Ref:475398)   #19
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Traction Control!!! Yippee! Formula One is back! Well sort of anyway...either way, nice to see the FIA take the iniative.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 18:40 (Ref:475401)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Cheers for the thread Super Tourer. I was just plodding through the day and then this happens. This is far more than I was expecting.

Overall the idea that standard parts (especially in 2004+) has now been introduced.

The rear wing is to be "Monza spec." And there will be no naughty traction control to help the driver with the lack of grip!
Old 15 Jan 2003, 18:41 (Ref:475403)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Why is it I still harbour doubts that this is all it superficially seems or that it will actually happen. Pinch me!
Old 15 Jan 2003, 18:44 (Ref:475408)   #22
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
It will be interesting to see how many of these rules come into effect by Aus but it is certianly a fantastic step forward. I also look forward to seeing what the teams will do without being able to talk to their drivers, its been such a big part of the sport for so long that it will be strange to see them reduced to pit boards again. Thats not a bad thing though.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 18:44 (Ref:475409)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok, this is great ! But it will happen ? How many voices would stand against it, delay it more, discuss it more and so on...

You know, it's hard to abandon what you already master.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 18:49 (Ref:475415)   #24
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Um... perhaps I am alone, but I don't think a lot of these new regulations make sense:confused:

An engine manufacturer must be able to supply every team if necessary? Which supplier in their right mind would do this, especially if every other supplier is as well? It works in CART where everyone is mandated to use the same engine, but what will happen in F1? If you have the best engine, will 10 teams come ask for it? Will teams switch midyear (how would that effect cost savings??)? I can envision it now, some engine suppliers may have to PAY a team to use their engines in order to stay in F1... I think this is horrible, and will lead to us losing engine makers... I don't even want to get started in on engines having to last 6 races...

No spare car? How will that save costs? Some teams will be running of Friday morning with that third car. Come to think of it, those are generally the POORER teams. OK Ferrari, leave the 3rd car home, but Minardi, make sure you bring yours...

For the record, I do agree with banning driver aids and telemetry, 'shared' (although I shudder at 'standard') components, and reducing some exotic materials...
Old 15 Jan 2003, 18:52 (Ref:475419)   #25
David
Racer

United States
Noblesville, IN, USA
David should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2007 Summary:

About 13.7 billion years ago I heard a very loud noise - did you hear it?