Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Nov 2007, 10:25 (Ref:2064834)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Walter Hayes Trophy Meeting - Silverstone, 3/4 November 2007

OK, let's get this under way! Blessed with much better weather this year, and despite the overwhelming number of FF1600s which, of course, is what this meeting is all about, there were races for other cars, and I thought the balance was really good and interesting this year. Incidentally, at least two 10-Tenthers were notably absent from this year's FF1600 entry list, Kevan McLurg (spending too much time in the Chassis Archive!), and Gary Critcher (probably just financially challenged at the end of the season, or maybe giving the Nike a well earned rest!).

A few Pit and Paddock pics first.

Keith Dempsey's Swift SC92F:-

I'm assuming that is Dave Malpas himself (Ian Sowman will confirm, I am sure!) sitting in his Van Diemen RF78:-

Is this the prettiest FF1600 ever built? The 1969 Merlyn MkIIA of Alex Classick:-

Lovely Saturday morning but with, inevitably, fairly long shadows cast by a low November sun. In the foreground is the Chevron B6 of Sean McLurg, with behind, Jonathan Gomm's LC; to his right, a late but welcome entry, the Ford Capri of Henry Mann (yes, son of Alan) and, driving away, the Triumph GT6 Mk3 of Luke Clark-Bagnall. All four were part of the HSCC 40km Closed Wheel Race entry which was to take place later in the day. They are all heading (or about to head) out for qualifying. Gojo is pulling the door closed but was kind enough to exchange a few words with me before departure. Peter Mallett will be pleased to note the Capri, and, in fact there were 2 in the race, the other being that of Nigel Barnett. Although it did not register at the time, the car parked, just above the bonnet of the capri, appears to be a Jensen CV8, not the most common of sights, these days!:-

Last edited by John Turner; 13 Jan 2008 at 10:58.
Old 11 Nov 2007, 10:39 (Ref:2064839)   #2
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Is this the prettiest FF1600 ever built? The 1969 Merlyn MkIIA of Alex Classick:-
I'm not sure it's the prettiest but that car looks beautifully prepared.

I was intending to go. Unfortunately domestic arrangements prevented it. May be next year.
Old 11 Nov 2007, 21:48 (Ref:2065201)   #3
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Happy to oblige John - it is David Malpas!
Old 11 Nov 2007, 22:56 (Ref:2065250)   #4
gojo
Rookie

gojo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allways nice to see you John, first time WHT for me,super event , only one incident marred the weekend for me(but I won't go there.)

Is that Chevron the best looking car in the world?I have put it on my Xmas list(some hope)
Joe.
Old 12 Nov 2007, 08:07 (Ref:2065405)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojo
Allways nice to see you John, first time WHT for me,super event , only one incident marred the weekend for me(but I won't go there.)

Is that Chevron the best looking car in the world?I have put it on my Xmas list(some hope)
Joe.
I wouldn't go there Joe as everyone who saw it think I am being very charitable to you calling it a racing incident and given the damage to both cars was no worse than a shopping trolley dent.

Last edited by John Turner; 12 Nov 2007 at 08:19.
Old 12 Nov 2007, 08:18 (Ref:2065412)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok guys, you are both very respected 10-Tenthers with lots of great input; please, having mentioned it, now drop it or take it offline. Simon, I agree the damage was slight, but I've removed a little of what you have said, simply because I'm sure that you and Joe have discussed this aspect already, and I don't want this to develop further or spoil the thread.

Joe, I agree about the Chevron, and it has been a great year to see so many B6/B8s out.

Last edited by John Turner; 12 Nov 2007 at 08:21.
Old 12 Nov 2007, 08:22 (Ref:2065413)   #7
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Ok guys, you are both very respected 10-Tenthers with lots of great input; please, having mentioned it, now drop it or take it offline. Simon, I agree the damage was slight, but I've removed a little of what you have said, simply because I'm sure that you and Jo have discussed this aspect already, and I don't want this to devlop further or spoil the thread.
ironically I was trying to edit myself but was told I had passed the 10 minute window - however we do both agree that the Chevrons are exceedingly pretty and would be on both of our christmas lists - good job so many of them exist today!!
Old 12 Nov 2007, 08:44 (Ref:2065424)   #8
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'm sure a new ones only a phone call away guys
Old 12 Nov 2007, 09:05 (Ref:2065436)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

haha yup I know JR has some fairly forthrite views on the history of some of the B6/8's out there. To get back on theme, I agree about the Merlyn 20 it is very pretty.
Our race, the closed wheel race, was definately a Formula Libre one. We had a modsports E Type, 2 x Chevrons, 2 x sports racers (myself and Stuart Tizzard who drove a blinder to beat the BMW engined Chevrons in his twin cam engined Lenham, a Lister Jaguar and a Kurtis 500 representing 50's era through to several HRSR cars (GoJo's Lotus Cortina and 2 more including David Whiskers Bennett, a man more usually seen peddling a beautiful Aston DB3S) and then 70's cars. The interesting thing for me was that the yoki shod 70's cars were not quicker and it actually led to a pretty even field. Sad to see the Sabre 6 pull up - I have a soft spot for them!
As for the CV8 - I agree an unusual sight. My father had one in period and said it was one of the most terrifying cars to drive that he had ever owned, however he loved seeing it as its the first one he has seen since mid 60's. I recall as a child thinking it was ugly and I must say time has (IMHO) not changed my view!
Old 13 Nov 2007, 10:18 (Ref:2066342)   #10
JFW
Racer

JFW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty Merlyn

Simon is that not a MK 11 ??
Old 13 Nov 2007, 10:31 (Ref:2066350)   #11
simon drabble
Veteran

I bow to your better knowledge! Its pretty whatever!
Old 13 Nov 2007, 10:38 (Ref:2066356)   #12
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A pedant writes..... a MK 11a actually...... I'll get my coat...
Old 13 Nov 2007, 10:43 (Ref:2066359)   #13
simon drabble
Veteran

well I now feel suitably corrected!!
Old 13 Nov 2007, 12:15 (Ref:2066478)   #14
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
I bow to your better knowledge! Its pretty whatever!
would swap my rf80 for a Merlin, no problem!!!
Old 14 Nov 2007, 09:06 (Ref:2067134)   #15
JFW
Racer

Mk 11

Simon,

I have been hunting for the donington picture of it partialy airborne from a few seasons back, you dont have a copy do you ?

Esper,

I would happily swap you an RF 80 for a Merlyn HFF.. the small difference would equate to about 25k in Euro if you are interested.

J
Old 14 Nov 2007, 20:31 (Ref:2067551)   #16
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFW
Simon,
I would happily swap you an RF 80 for a Merlyn HFF.. the small difference would equate to about 25k in Euro if you are interested.
J
J are you a banker?
Old 15 Nov 2007, 06:24 (Ref:2067769)   #17
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper
J are you a banker?

Banker's don't have a sense of humour Esper
Old 15 Nov 2007, 08:59 (Ref:2067823)   #18
JFW
Racer

Not at all

Hi Esper,

No I am not, but I did have lunch with one last week if that counts at all ?

J
Old 15 Nov 2007, 09:46 (Ref:2067856)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Pit and Paddock (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
Happy to oblige John - it is David Malpas!
Thank you Ian; I'm relying on you to correct any blunders! For those who don't know, Ian was commentating from the antiquated commentary box at Becketts, and on the last lap of each race was having to leave it, jump in his car, drive to the pitlane to interview the podium drivers and then return in time commentate on the next race. Not an unusual occurrence at meetings here (the main commentary position is on the outside of the circuit above the stands, so it would take them even longer!) but surely about time that events of this nature had a resident pit interviewer as the Holly Birkett had the week before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
Sad to see the Sabre 6 pull up - I have a soft spot for them!
So do I, having owned 3 in the past. This is Ian Daniels example.

Close up of the 'Auriga' in Craig Brunton's Van Diemen RF92:-

Paul Walton's 1974 Crossle 25F:-

Interesting light and shade effect on Matthew Dean's Reynard 88FF:-

Simon Drabble returns from qualifying his Merlyn Mk6 complete with symbolic engine fire:-

And similarly Jonathan Gomm with a wayward flame from the exhaust of his Lotus Cortina, which only serves to show how you can divert attention from poorly composed pictures!

Last edited by John Turner; 15 Nov 2007 at 09:57.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 09:55 (Ref:2067864)   #20
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I wish you'd take that Demon Tweeks tape off your car Simon, it looks very Croydon!
Old 15 Nov 2007, 10:32 (Ref:2067885)   #21
simon drabble
Veteran

I cant get it off! It wont be on the new bodywork for next year!
Old 15 Nov 2007, 11:29 (Ref:2067926)   #22
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another Carbon Fibre creation??
Old 15 Nov 2007, 11:48 (Ref:2067937)   #23
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
CF is old hat, too heavy

60's slot car plastic is the way forward, only 30 thou thick
Old 15 Nov 2007, 12:09 (Ref:2067956)   #24
simon drabble
Veteran

at least its period.....
My car is currently 65kg overweight so its going on a crash diet!
Carbon fibre is a bit pretentious for a humble Merlyn - it looks better on GT40's!!
Old 15 Nov 2007, 18:21 (Ref:2068238)   #25
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFW
Hi Esper,

No I am not, but I did have lunch with one last week if that counts at all ?

J
thats ok, now I know how you lost your sense for exhange rate - don.t forget its 1,5 and not 3