Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 31 Jul 2007, 12:46 (Ref:1977212)   #76
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
James, I think you can, they fill up with motorhomes and coaches etc, our van is 10ft high or so . . . don't ask me about going through the under track Tunnel, Drabble racing can confirm the exact head height for that !
Old 31 Jul 2007, 12:54 (Ref:1977222)   #77
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cool. Might try it if I go this year. I think the truck is 12ft high so better check it out along with how often they run.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 13:06 (Ref:1977233)   #78
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
They put 44 ton trucks on the tunnel trains so I would think 7.5 tons would fit easily.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 14:36 (Ref:1977298)   #79
James Murray
Racer

Enlighten us drabble racing on your spa tunnel experience! I know JFW had an unfortunate experience in there a few years back.

One year they wouldnt let my dad and me through in the road car with all the tools etc in it, as the paddock marshal thought it would take up too much space in the paddock. They still wouldnt let us in even after an attempt was made to have a genial discussion about it, with us advising them that the majority in our race were there with transporters and that our road car was our transporter/support vehicle etc. The bloke then stood in front of our car and started waving others past, so my dad just set off and the marshal had to quickly jump out of the way.

He then jumped on his scooter and followed us to the pit garage and grabbed my dad by the throat and tried to get him to move the car. The debate was finally ended when I fired up the race car which was unsilenced and about 3 yards from where he was standing. The chap couldnt hear himself speak and walked off. To his credit he came and appologised later in the day. It was almost a sport itself trying to get a car in the paddock although we havent been since 02 so not sure if its still the same.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 14:41 (Ref:1977305)   #80
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
They put 44 ton trucks on the tunnel trains so I would think 7.5 tons would fit easily.
OK, note to self, read posts properly.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 14:45 (Ref:1977310)   #81
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
one of the few consolations to not going to Spa this year will be not having to take flak from people about that! I got my double trailer stuck in the tunnel and then burnt out the clutch of my tow truck trying to reverse up the hill (paddock side) with two cars on the trailer. Fortunately I had a knight in shining armour who sorted it out for me and then had the ageing experience of being driven back to london by a certain race organiser at breakneck speed! Incredibly she had me back in London just after midnight having started my journey at 5pm - a result out of the jaws of disaster!!!
Old 31 Jul 2007, 15:00 (Ref:1977325)   #82
James Murray
Racer

Falcemob thank you for your valued counsel and I apologise prefusely for failing to aknowledge your post which has clarified my query thereof .

Simon that sounds like a shocker,that tunnel clearly has a lot to answer for. I promise I'll never mention it again.

Why you not attending this year?
Old 31 Jul 2007, 15:18 (Ref:1977339)   #83
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Murray
Simon that sounds like a shocker,that tunnel clearly has a lot to answer for. I promise I'll never mention it again.

Why you not attending this year?
short answer is that I havent got a drive in the 6 Hour! The Merlyn is not eligble for the HSCC as the organisers do not allow sport racers to race with GTs. If that changes then I might come out for that and crew for James Shead's team in the 6 Hour as he must be on paper the hot favourite teaming with Peter Hardman and Tony Dron in his Cobra
Old 31 Jul 2007, 15:42 (Ref:1977365)   #84
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
James Shead's team in the 6 Hour as he must be on paper the hot favourite teaming with Peter Hardman and Tony Dron in his Cobra
Not if Gordon and I build a new engine for the Cortina, prepped in a 'Fairlaine Style'
Old 31 Jul 2007, 15:57 (Ref:1977390)   #85
James Murray
Racer

What about the GT40's and E types?

Is it pre 65 appendix K on Dunlop L's this year?
Old 31 Jul 2007, 16:08 (Ref:1977400)   #86
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
What about the GT40's and E types?
they are running but his driver line up is pretty formidable - James was I think I am right in saying a class winner at Le Mans in a Spice, Peter Hardman is probably the best current historic race driver (if that isnt a contradictory in terms!) and Tony Dron is no mean peddler either. They all raced against each other in period and are great mates. They have James' old pitwall manager running the team and are going to win
Old 31 Jul 2007, 16:18 (Ref:1977406)   #87
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
short answer is that I havent got a drive in the 6 Hour! The Merlyn is not eligble for the HSCC as the organisers do not allow sport racers to race with GTs. If that changes then I might come out for that and crew for James Shead's team in the 6 Hour as he must be on paper the hot favourite teaming with Peter Hardman and Tony Dron in his Cobra
You give up too easily Simon,or have you changed your mind?.
Whizzo and myself were on the same ferry as you on they way home,RE you lift back after the clutch problem.We all sat talking in a deserted resturant. One other point is,in order to win,you have to cross the line first.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 17:33 (Ref:1977465)   #88
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
they are running but his driver line up is pretty formidable - James was I think I am right in saying a class winner at Le Mans in a Spice, Peter Hardman is probably the best current historic race driver (if that isnt a contradictory in terms!) and Tony Dron is no mean peddler either. They all raced against each other in period and are great mates. They have James' old pitwall manager running the team and are going to win
Simon, you are right; this is indeed a formidable team and I certainly wouldn't bet against them.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 17:42 (Ref:1977471)   #89
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Simon, you are right; this is indeed a formidable team and I certainly wouldn't bet against them.
one extra pitstop for broken condensor means form 1st to 10th.................
Old 31 Jul 2007, 17:46 (Ref:1977472)   #90
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Can you get a 7.5 ton truck on the tunnel train?

Esper I think it depends possibly on your interpretation of historic single seater. I wouldnt classify a Swift 88 historic!
when I started racing mgbs they where historic with 20 to 25 years of "age" ....................................its the same as with good women and good wine ,.......they age nice, but you cant avoid that they get older (nicely).
Old 31 Jul 2007, 18:44 (Ref:1977517)   #91
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper
one extra pitstop for broken condensor means form 1st to 10th.................
Is this a prediction? Or are you suggesting a sabotage attempt?
Old 31 Jul 2007, 18:55 (Ref:1977530)   #92
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper
when I started racing mgbs they where historic with 20 to 25 years of "age" ....................................its the same as with good women and good wine ,.......they age nice, but you cant avoid that they get older (nicely).

Is you,re wife reading as you type Esper?
Old 31 Jul 2007, 18:57 (Ref:1977534)   #93
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Is this a prediction? Or are you suggesting a sabotage attempt?
no no car is to beautifull. and going as stink with that dirver line up . but yes a condensor can fail.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 19:01 (Ref:1977539)   #94
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I think that you are beginning to worry us, today, esper; you might want to go and lie down for a while!
Old 31 Jul 2007, 20:06 (Ref:1977594)   #95
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Is you,re wife reading as you type Esper?
good lord no, but coming close to that definition!!!!
Old 31 Jul 2007, 20:08 (Ref:1977597)   #96
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
I think that you are beginning to worry us, today, esper; you might want to go and lie down for a while!
no no perfect in balance. mental preparation for 6h is on schedule. John don't forget about the old wine many english do......
Old 1 Aug 2007, 07:28 (Ref:1977895)   #97
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Us English never wine,we just moan a lot!
Old 1 Aug 2007, 10:04 (Ref:1978042)   #98
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Anyone still looking for room,s, Belle Vue still has some.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 20:05 (Ref:1978536)   #99
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Us English never wine,we just moan a lot!
no your gearboxes wine
Old 2 Aug 2007, 04:32 (Ref:1978756)   #100
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No they don't. They "whine".