Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Aug 2007, 07:00 (Ref:1990721)   #126
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they will place tyres on the outside of the new section.Not much room to go straight on!
Old 17 Aug 2007, 07:04 (Ref:1990724)   #127
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Spa has covered this crossing the white lines with four wheels for past years in drivers briefing.Does this now mean they are to police it.
Decided not to go with cars and will stop at Donnington See Red
Old 17 Aug 2007, 10:33 (Ref:1990826)   #128
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
I think they will place tyres on the outside of the new section.Not much room to go straight on!
the only place for tyres is on wheels on a car...................................
Old 17 Aug 2007, 12:23 (Ref:1990924)   #129
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Spa has covered this crossing the white lines with four wheels for past years in drivers briefing.Does this now mean they are to police it.
now that would be a revelation, correction, bloody miracle

John can probably answer this . . .how hard is it to enforce a drive through or stop go penalty for offendors ? same applies for bollards at CC, Donny etc, and all sorts of warnings.
Old 17 Aug 2007, 16:30 (Ref:1991039)   #130
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Spa, the organisers decide if they hand out penalties or not for crossing the lines. Some do not want the extra hassle, some (Race-rally, RMU,) are very strict about cutting corners.
If you (as organiser) are happy with drivers racing everywhere bar on the track, it is up to you. If you want it policed the Observers will do their job.

I'm at Blanchimont tomorrow, the drivers that cross the line will know what hit them.

[Obs.mode/on] And if I had my way, it would be for all places that are not part of the actual race track, between the original white lines, indicating the road.
Drivers should race where they are supposed to be racing and not straightlining corners. Or drive over allocated parking spaces. [Obs.mode/off]

You all better hope I'm not marshalling then for the 6H.
Old 18 Aug 2007, 06:37 (Ref:1991101)   #131
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I agree with you Eddy, I also think its possible to see the difference between a driving mistake and a deliberate attempt at gaining an advantage

brick walls 6" the otherside of the white line would do the trick, or some of theose Stingers
Old 18 Aug 2007, 07:09 (Ref:1991106)   #132
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutly,if the circuit included the outsides lines,they would have made it wider in the first place!
Old 18 Aug 2007, 16:07 (Ref:1991414)   #133
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
back on topic, I've booked and paid for the tunnel ( well actually Mrs Zef paid!) and I have confirmation of payment for my entry . . . starting to get excited about racing again . . . .

Sorry Simon !
Old 18 Aug 2007, 18:25 (Ref:1991485)   #134
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
You,r excited, bet you cant guess how I feel after a 3yr break from the 6hr,this will be my seventh attempt.!
Old 20 Aug 2007, 08:41 (Ref:1992548)   #135
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly

John can probably answer this . . .how hard is it to enforce a drive through or stop go penalty for offendors ? same applies for bollards at CC, Donny etc, and all sorts of warnings.
Very easy Zef, as long as it's in the regulations. We work on the principle that the first time can be allowed as a mistake (unless there's a big advantage gained!), the second time is a black and white flag and third time we go for the penalty.
Old 20 Aug 2007, 11:18 (Ref:1992637)   #136
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
perfect answer, thanks John

so presumably some circuits or race regs ( BTCC for example) don't bother enforcing such things
Old 20 Aug 2007, 11:39 (Ref:1992647)   #137
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly

so presumably some circuits or race regs ( BTCC for example) don't bother enforcing such things
Not exactly .....so you want the pedantic answer?

Stop/Go and Drive Through penalties are not, as such, specified in the Blue Book.......although, I'm led to believe it's being considered. Therefore, to use them, they have to be specified in the supplimentary or championship regulations for the specific race or meeting.

I personally think that they're better for the competitors and spectators in that the resulting track position is very visible, rather than a retrospective adjustment after the end of the race.

The downside is that we have to be absolutely certain in their application - if we make a mistake it can't really be undone!
Old 20 Aug 2007, 15:36 (Ref:1992864)   #138
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I recall an observer telling me that they use their discretion at Eau Rouge and Blanchiment, in that they can tell from the start of the corner whether a car will go completely over the kerbs. Mainly it happens if you get the beginning slightly wrong and if they see this they let it go, because you can gain no advantage. But they can also tell when its deliberate.

Personally I use as much of the kerbs as I can but I try not to cross them completely because it upsets the car too much. I'm sure modern cars behave differently though.
Old 20 Aug 2007, 16:25 (Ref:1992886)   #139
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Hence the reason the circuit owners are always repainting the kerbs.You only have to look around any circuit for a begginers guide to where the bends are.I use kerbs,purely to allow me to keep the momentum going and to make as wide a radius as possible,BUT I will not go off the outside of them.There are some corners that you have to use them,if that was not the case,they would be wall,s and not painted lines. Le Radion is different though ,if you,ve gone completely over,then you,ve cocked it up anyway so no advantage

Last edited by terence; 20 Aug 2007 at 16:28.
Old 20 Aug 2007, 16:44 (Ref:1992911)   #140
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the way it was handled over the weekend at Spa for the 1000 km:
Friday (I wasn't there): only after the second practice, the CotC decided to go for "4 wheel over" reporting, but only if the driver gained some time. Shortly afterwards it was changed to "report all" and big penalties were given.

Saturday (me at Blanchimont): we had to report every car over the kerbs, for whatever reason. For practice the penalty was as follows: for a first time the fastest time was disallowed, the second time the 3 fastest laps were taken away, third time the driver ended up at the back of the grid. During the races penalties were only given if the driver gained a place. No reporting had to be done for the rest that went over.
However the French Porsche Cup overdid it a bit and all of the sudden after the race, they were asking for numbers that went over the line. As a lot of the Observers in Belgium are not the smartest, they tend not to write anything down when not needed, so Race Control did not get much out of their late decision to revert back to penalties.

Sunday: haven't got a clue what they decided next.
Old 20 Aug 2007, 18:41 (Ref:1992986)   #141
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Interesting, I've always stayed off kerbs as a general rule, especially in the wet! I think its habit from scooter riding days, small wheels and crap suspension .. . . . I know I've never seriously threatened any podiums but as Terence says, find the biggest radius as possible and maintain as much speed as poossible tends to work pretty well

Whein I have the balls/skill/talent to get into 'drifting' I'll lap goodwood sideways for the cameras and we'll see how much slower/faster it is
Old 20 Aug 2007, 19:26 (Ref:1993015)   #142
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I think to go drifting in the old Tina you might need a couple more HP
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Aug 2007, 20:05 (Ref:1993033)   #143
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Drifting is in the driver,not the power.Turn in,dab of brake and gass it up,about three quarters throttle,balance it there,ease the throttle on,easy!
Old 20 Aug 2007, 21:47 (Ref:1993156)   #144
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I've tried that but the traction control on the ecu keeps cutting in
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Aug 2007, 06:58 (Ref:1993288)   #145
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Drifting is in the driver,not the power.Turn in,dab of brake and gass it up,about three quarters throttle,balance it there,ease the throttle on,easy!
so first lap of Spa 6h , 70 plus cars midfield.............again.. turn in , dab of brake , gass, 3/4, balance ok try to remember
Old 21 Aug 2007, 07:00 (Ref:1993291)   #146
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
my memory of the first lap of Spa 6H is simple - stay out of trouble, let others do the heroics!!
Old 21 Aug 2007, 07:12 (Ref:1993296)   #147
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Or throw it into Le Combe,get it completely sideways and let everyone behind think you,ve lost it,at that point,gather it all together,and drive away from them .Gordon,can,t you hit the TC switch,most cars are quicker with it turned off.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 07:52 (Ref:1993335)   #148
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Simon it depends where you start. If I am near the front I will go for it. But on the other hand I once had a problem in qualifying and was right down the blunt end, there was a big "sort out" at Le Combe and I gained about 20 places on the first lap. Terence I sit so far back in the car I can't reach the "hidden" switch !
Old 21 Aug 2007, 08:58 (Ref:1993374)   #149
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
Simon it depends where you start. If I am near the front I will go for it. But on the other hand I once had a problem in qualifying and was right down the blunt end, there was a big "sort out" at Le Combe and I gained about 20 places on the first lap. Terence I sit so far back in the car I can't reach the "hidden" switch !
So rig up a TV remote!.Now you have to thank me for causing the fracus at Le Combe
Old 21 Aug 2007, 09:01 (Ref:1993378)   #150
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
your going to practice a lot !!!! as undefined sources inform me about BSCC exploits