Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Sep 2002, 12:44 (Ref:379564)   #1
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mont Tremblant - a circuit worthy of "Spa of North America?"

On dailysportscar.com, they're reporting the first impressions of the rebuilt Le Circuit at Mont Tremblant.

From Andy Wallace, who's running with the Dyson team the last two races:
Quote:
...after the Thursday test session at Mont Tremblant, and his comments were everything you’d expect from him.

"It's really a stunning track. I'm never going to race in Europe ever again, because they spoil the track by putting in those second gear chicanes everywhere. Here they have proper corners. It's amazing. We have fifth and sixth gear corners; hammering around the corners. It's great!"

-dailysportscar
A rumour I tried to start a couple of years ago had F1 moving to the circuit based upon the upgrades, proximity to Montreal, amount of top notch accommodation nearby (Mont Tremblant), and the Hilfiger connection to Ferrari (they still sponsor Ferrari, don't they?). The track is owned by Lawrence Stroll. Sadly, no one believed me.

Now, hearing about Andy Wallace's comments, I'm glad ol' Bern is unaware of the place. He and Max for sure would want some of those stupid 2nd gear chicanes...

Still, if F1 were about racing instead of rifling through fans' pockets, they'd be there in a flash...

I'd like to see the old Canadian GP setup - alternating between le Circuit and Mosport.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 13 Sep 2002, 21:13 (Ref:379869)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a nice track, though they've moved the trees back a bit too far from the track for my tastes... Would be nice to have some shade for the marshalls and hard-core spectators...

But yes, without a doubt one of the top ten on the continent.
Old 13 Sep 2002, 22:35 (Ref:379909)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you're going to be in the area towards the end of the month, be sure to check out the fall classic (Sept. 27-29) for the final round of the Canadian Formula Ford championship.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 13 Sep 2002, 23:31 (Ref:379938)   #4
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or perhaps they didn't want the drivers to experience some shade and then bright light of the sun again? Though I agree, it would be nice to have a tree or two grown nearby where the corner workers/flag people are.
Old 14 Sep 2002, 04:12 (Ref:380018)   #5
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its rather emaciated now. Before it was awesome, if not really dangerous.
Old 20 Sep 2002, 08:52 (Ref:384655)   #6
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I race this track on GPL every so often and it's OhhhhKayyyy. Not bad.
Old 20 Sep 2002, 11:50 (Ref:384761)   #7
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant

Having spent four days there just last week for the Grand Am races, I can personally confirm that the owner's money was well spent in renovating this fine circuit. It is a lovely place for racing and from the drivers' reports, is also a fine racecourse from their point of view. My first visit was 22 years ago when my younger son did the Jim Russell school there. The modernization - which was long overdue - includes: (1) Complete repaving, (2) improvements to the pit entrance and exit (These did not effect the actual racing line very much.), (3) New timing and scoring building, (4) Expansion and leveling of the paddock area, (But without cutting most of the shade trees which make it a truly unique paddock.), (5) construction of a new linkage between the old short and long courses, (In theory, two races could now be run at the same time.), and, (6) a 12 foot lowering of the infamous hump on the old long course.

All in all it has been restored very well, but, I fear, will never again host F1 without still further improvements. There is no provision for covered garage space in the pits, no permenant grandstands, and even the expanded paddock area would not support the F1 entourage to name a few problems.

Nonetheless, the race meetings at this time of year can be extremely enjoyable, and there is no lack of really good accomodations available before the ski season arrives. I will personally recommend the Auberge du Coq de Montagne run for 25 years by Nino and Kay. (819) 425-3380 The Italian menu also makes it the favorite of the Ferrari teams when the sportscars are running.
Old 21 Sep 2002, 18:32 (Ref:385467)   #8
jonboyG
Racer

jonboyG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I was watching the Grand Am race on Speed last weekend, and all I could think of was that F1 should be racing on it - what a fantastic circuit. All the drivers interviewed loved it.
Old 21 Sep 2002, 18:40 (Ref:385471)   #9
Evilsenna
Racer

Evilsenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe CART could race there?
Old 22 Sep 2002, 12:24 (Ref:385844)   #10
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TV at Tremblant

Quote:
Originally posted by jonboyG
I was watching the Grand Am race on Speed last weekend,
Well now that's interesting jonboyG. We saw the TV cameras and interviewers working at the track, but The Speed Channel in U.S.A. is not broadcasting the races until September 28th. Out of curiosity, did you see them live, or did they show both the 3 hour and the six hour races in one broadcast and delay it?
Old 24 Sep 2002, 01:58 (Ref:387008)   #11
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anybody got Pics?! Sky shots,anything!!
Old 24 Sep 2002, 02:27 (Ref:387018)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mont Tremblant was even considered too dangerous when the F1 circus visited the circuit in the 60s and 70s. Now THAT'S how dangerous it was!
Old 24 Sep 2002, 02:39 (Ref:387021)   #13
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
www.lecircuit.com
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James