Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 18 May 2015, 20:15 (Ref:3539097)   #376
pukekoheracer
Racer

pukekoheracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Amongst horrible accidents and blistering high speeds, Mr Dixon has got pole for the great American race.
Can he get another Indy crown?
And if he bought it home, and the Kiwi Porsche Boys do the Business at Le Mans in June that would be pretty dame good.
Old 23 May 2015, 18:36 (Ref:3540449)   #377
pukekoheracer
Racer

Fantastic News over night, Richie Stanaway on the Top step at Monaco...
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119133
Old 24 May 2015, 04:29 (Ref:3540534)   #378
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukekoheracer View Post
Fantastic News over night, Richie Stanaway on the Top step at Monaco...
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119133
And great news for his team, Status, in only their 6th GP2 race. Although, finishing 7th yesterday meant a front row start. Aside from making a blistering start and getting in front , it was really just a case of running it until the end. It was a solid showing though. I hope to see more of it, when Evans' RT car is being so horribly disappointing. Not even making it to the start if two races in a control category is inexcusable for the team.
Old 12 Jun 2015, 20:51 (Ref:3548175)   #379
The Realist
Racer

The Realist should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hayden Paddon makes history by being the 1st New Zealander to ever lead a WRC event outside NZ. He still holds the lead after 10 stages, INCREDIBLE!!
http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/june/...8--12-12-.html
Congratulations go to the Paddon Team and their supporters.
Old 12 Jun 2015, 22:39 (Ref:3548210)   #380
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Realist View Post
Hayden Paddon makes history by being the 1st New Zealander to ever lead a WRC event outside NZ. He still holds the lead after 10 stages, INCREDIBLE!!
http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/june/...8--12-12-.html
Congratulations go to the Paddon Team and their supporters.
What incredible news! Go Haydon. And he has good track position for day 2.

Could this be Haydon stamping his mark on WRC and sending a message to Ogier?
Old 14 Jun 2015, 10:15 (Ref:3549979)   #381
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't want to jinx it... but the Porsche website's coverage of Le Mans looks real good
Old 14 Jun 2015, 15:29 (Ref:3550345)   #382
pukekoheracer
Racer

Wow, what a result from Le Mans
Bamber 1st, Hartley 2nd and Mitch 10th. Pretty big day in NZ Motorsport

Second kid from the same Wanganui School to win there.

So in overall NZ Motorsport Sucess thats an =3rd with Dixons Indy Win.

1st. Denny's World Championship
2nd. Bruce McLaren/Chris Amon Le Mans Win, Denny 2nd
3rd= Scott's Indy Win
3rd= Bambers Le Mans Win, Hartley 2nd
Old 14 Jun 2015, 18:48 (Ref:3550421)   #383
The Realist
Racer

The Realist should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Wow, what a result from Le Mans
Bamber 1st, Hartley 2nd and Mitch 10th. Pretty big day in NZ Motorsport

Second kid from the same Wanganui School to win there.

So in overall NZ Motorsport Sucess thats an =3rd with Dixons Indy Win.

1st. Denny's World Championship
2nd. Bruce McLaren/Chris Amon Le Mans Win, Denny 2nd
3rd= Scott's Indy Win
3rd= Bambers Le Mans Win, Hartley 2nd
And don't forget Hayden Paddon's history making 2nd outright in WRC Rally Sardinia. 1st Kiwi to lead a WRC event outside NZ, and eclipsed Possum Bourne's best of 4th overall.

Congratulations to al the above, Kiwi's sure do punch above their weight in World Motorsport.
Old 14 Jun 2015, 18:50 (Ref:3550423)   #384
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am surprised there is no Mention of Le Mans at these two as of 8 am Monday morning.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...nes.cfm?c_id=4

http://tvnz.co.nz/motorsport-news

Considering it is NZ biggest result at Le Mans since Bruce and Denny in '66.
Old 14 Jun 2015, 20:57 (Ref:3550475)   #385
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was all over "Breakfast" on TVNZ this morning, which was great to see (despite a couple of inaccuracies in their facts).
Old 14 Jun 2015, 22:14 (Ref:3550505)   #386
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I am surprised there is no Mention of Le Mans at these two as of 8 am Monday morning.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...nes.cfm?c_id=4

http://tvnz.co.nz/motorsport-news

Considering it is NZ biggest result at Le Mans since Bruce and Denny in '66.
I don't think it was 8am in NZ when you checked
Old 14 Jun 2015, 23:51 (Ref:3550532)   #387
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
WOW!! What a fantastic weekend for the kiwi's

Congratulations to all of our fine winners and podium getters.

For me, Haydons romp in Italy was just superb. But then again, I don't really understand the gravity of a Le Mans victory. I have never followed that type of racing before.

Maybe someone with more experience than me can put these events in to some sort of context?
Old 15 Jun 2015, 01:17 (Ref:3550558)   #388
GT 86
Racer

GT 86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
It was all over "Breakfast" on TVNZ this morning, which was great to see (despite a couple of inaccuracies in their facts).
That's cause Christie was out of his comfort zone, he goes all defensive when he doesn't know what hes talking about plus they don't like reporting positive journalism. Did you hear the blondes comment, im sure she said "i didn't know kiwis could drive that fast"
Old 15 Jun 2015, 01:41 (Ref:3550569)   #389
mikuni
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 86 View Post
That's cause Christie was out of his comfort zone, he goes all defensive when he doesn't know what hes talking about plus they don't like reporting positive journalism. Did you hear the blondes comment, im sure she said "i didn't know kiwis could drive that fast"
We try to ignore most of what she says, for the reason that it is usually ignorant, stupid or both. I find Rawdon alright usually, but in this instance if was an example of saying something with enough confidence that it comes across as fact, even if it is not.

Quote:
For me, Haydons romp in Italy was just superb. But then again, I don't really understand the gravity of a Le Mans victory. I have never followed that type of racing before.
It is Hayden, or are you playing on his last name (Paddon)?

Quote:
Maybe someone with more experience than me can put these events in to some sort of context?
It has always been hard to watch Le Mans here in New Zealand, which is why it perhaps doesn't have quite the following it should. In recent years it has become much easier, and subsequently the coverage is getting better and better. I've only just started following it more closely over the last 3 years, but in that time I have realised just how special it is. It has the heritage of the best events in the world (think Monaco, or Indy), but it is just so much tougher. There really is no underestimating how hard 24 hours of running must be. The cars covered over 5000km.

This may not even do it justice, but I guess to put it into perspective to a Kiwi, it is like the Melbourne Cup of motorsport. But then, the Melbourne Cup is over in a few minutes, so that doesn't do it justice at all.
Old 15 Jun 2015, 06:30 (Ref:3550620)   #390
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Thanks Mikuni,
That is a type-o on my part. For some reason, the phone that I have just got defaults to Haydon rather than Hayden

Thanks for putting some perspective on the Le Mans race for me. I have since done some research and found that many consider this type of racing to be the pinnacle of motorsport, not F1. I have done my best to follow F1 this year (as in previous years too), and I find it boring and predictable. One item I read stated that all in all, LMP1 cars have better all-round technology than a current F1 car. I guess that could be seen as subjective, but it was quite a common theme. I can only imagine how hard it would be for all involved to stay on form for 24 hours. Do these races get many spectators at the track?
Old 15 Jun 2015, 09:19 (Ref:3550648)   #391
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Do these races get many spectators at the track?
I heard they had 263,000 at Le Mans this year so it ranks up there as one of the biggest Motorsport events in the world in terms of paying spectators.
Old 15 Jun 2015, 10:51 (Ref:3550682)   #392
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know how the GA access is at Le Mans? How much of the track can the public access to watch?
Old 15 Jun 2015, 12:41 (Ref:3550727)   #393
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Guys, you may want to look here for a European perspective.

Le Mans is huge, one of the oldest and most prestigious races in the world, and sportscars at the moment are especially competitive at the top end. Seriously fast, too. This year's pole time at Silverstone would, I'm told, have qualified the car 8th at the previous year's GP.
Old 16 Jun 2015, 04:11 (Ref:3551004)   #394
pukekoheracer
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
Does anyone know how the GA access is at Le Mans? How much of the track can the public access to watch?
I have been twice, in 87 and 89 so the track has changed a bit since then, from the Pit Straight and onto the Mulsanne Straight but the viewing was great . You could also get to other parts of the Track as well, the corners before the Pits etc. We camped just inside what was the old first corner, but there will be many sites around the Track you can go.
It sure is some event, would love to go again, and would recommend it to any Kiwi heading to Europe. I have been to most European Grand Prix's, but its a different type of event. If I had a choice these days and had to pick I would go to Le Mans.
Old 16 Jun 2015, 06:12 (Ref:3551024)   #395
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
I don't often agree with Mike from 7 sharp as he can be quite subjective, but for once I applaud his views in the link below...

http://m.tvnz.co.nz/video/featured_v...p_/ref:6338474

He's dead right this time and I strongly agree that most sport coverage via the media is biased on bat and ball sports. I also agree that Earl should be up for some sort of award, as well as Brendon and Hayden.

And this is Tv1. ....
Old 16 Jun 2015, 07:31 (Ref:3551040)   #396
pukekoheracer
Racer

Quote:
I don't often agree with Mike from 7 sharp as he can be quite subjective, but for once I applaud his views in the link below...

http://m.tvnz.co.nz/video/featured_v...p_/ref:6338474

He's dead right this time and I strongly agree that most sport coverage via the media is biased on bat and ball sports. I also agree that Earl should be up for some sort of award, as well as Brendon and Hayden.

And this is Tv1. ....
And he was still going on about Earl tonight.
Old 16 Jun 2015, 08:45 (Ref:3551059)   #397
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the size of population, NZ punches well above it's weight. There seem to be Kiwi drivers in almost all of the top categories.

Even more reason why Rally NZ should be in the WRC; as well as having the finest roads in the world.
Old 16 Jun 2015, 10:37 (Ref:3551085)   #398
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
And he was still going on about Earl tonight.
and what's the bet he never mentions motorsport again. the guy is so full of it!
Old 16 Jun 2015, 23:22 (Ref:3551383)   #399
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
+ 1
Old 19 Jun 2015, 06:07 (Ref:3552066)   #400
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Andre Heimgartner showing some good signs of speed on a very fast, resurfaced Hidden Valley.

Hopefully get 2 weekends in a row of kiwis doing well overseas.

Mitch and Richie in Austria too...