Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 29 Jul 2017, 13:15 (Ref:3755442)   #5376
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
That is a good strategy, have 2-4 different models and run whichever looks the strongest on the bop sheet!

This is always a problem with bop, and didn't Racers Group cite the poor bop as a reason for ditching their Porsche campaign earlier this season?
They did. I think part of the problem wasn't the raw speed of the car, but rather having to setup the car in a way that made it difficult for the Am drivers to feel safe driving it.
Old 29 Jul 2017, 13:48 (Ref:3755450)   #5377
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
They did. I think part of the problem wasn't the raw speed of the car, but rather having to setup the car in a way that made it difficult for the Am drivers to feel safe driving it.
Pretty rich. Maybe I can try telling my wife I need an Audi R8 because I am not a good enough driver, see how that works.
Old 29 Jul 2017, 13:54 (Ref:3755451)   #5378
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Pretty rich. Maybe I can try telling my wife I need an Audi R8 because I am not a good enough driver, see how that works.
Maybe, but your wife might tell you the Toyota Corolla would be a more suitable car.

The problem with making it dangerous for an Am is they won't want to drive it. If they don't want to drive it, the team aren't going to get money for it, and won't be able to continue racing. The whole reason GT3s are meant to be easy to drive is so they can be run by Ams safely. If you take that comfort away, you'll get more accidents, less Ams and less cars.
Old 29 Jul 2017, 17:15 (Ref:3755553)   #5379
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The problem with making it dangerous for an Am is they won't want to drive it. If they don't want to drive it, the team aren't going to get money for it, and won't be able to continue racing. The whole reason GT3s are meant to be easy to drive is so they can be run by Ams safely. If you take that comfort away, you'll get more accidents, less Ams and less cars.
yeah, i was jsut trying to be funny. I understand that there was no fast set-up for the Porsche which was also a safe set-up.
Old 29 Jul 2017, 17:32 (Ref:3755555)   #5380
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
yeah, i was jsut trying to be funny. I understand that there was no fast set-up for the Porsche which was also a safe set-up.
Apparently my sense of humour wasn't good enough to pick up the funny.
Old 29 Jul 2017, 18:00 (Ref:3755582)   #5381
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
And that seems to be a recurrent theme recently in both IMSA and PWC. Am drivers not being able to get the best of out a particular car because in order to do so they have to either drive above their ability or drive a car that doesn't suit them.

I've heard that the McLaren MP4-12 and the derived 650 GT3 isn't very am friendly, not is the Porsche 911 when certain things are done to it.
Old 29 Jul 2017, 20:51 (Ref:3755658)   #5382
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Wonder if the tires are part of the problem as well?
Old 29 Jul 2017, 21:23 (Ref:3755675)   #5383
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Wonder if the tires are part of the problem as well?
My experience with Conti race tyres is as much.
Old 30 Jul 2017, 22:45 (Ref:3756208)   #5384
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here is the new VFR Liger

https://twitter.com/scunleashed/stat...47849791127553

Also it appears that Risi may be switching to GTD

Last edited by Dyson Mazda; 30 Jul 2017 at 22:50.
Old 30 Jul 2017, 23:35 (Ref:3756213)   #5385
Maelochs
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
... it appears that Risi may be switching to GTD
Yeah ... Waaay less collision damage in GTD.
Old 31 Jul 2017, 02:15 (Ref:3756233)   #5386
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

That was the car they planned on entering in addition to the GTLM car at CoTA.
Old 31 Jul 2017, 04:09 (Ref:3756241)   #5387
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

GTD and PWC? But when? In which race?
For now they only have 2 Ferrari GT3 in the entry list of the next Crevetic 24 hours of COTA
Old 31 Jul 2017, 16:37 (Ref:3756453)   #5388
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
You guys do understand that they run customer programs rite? Lot's of wealthy people buy race cars (even current models) but never race them.

-mike
Old 31 Jul 2017, 16:41 (Ref:3756458)   #5389
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
You guys do understand that they run customer programs rite? Lot's of wealthy people buy race cars (even current models) but never race them.

-mike
That's most likely what it is, but Risi did appear on a GTD entry list at one point and was removed. It's been teased a few times that they might reappear. Like you say, it's probably a customer program, but it's a possibility (and wishful thinking!)
Old 31 Jul 2017, 17:24 (Ref:3756465)   #5390
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
That's most likely what it is, but Risi did appear on a GTD entry list at one point and was removed. It's been teased a few times that they might reappear. Like you say, it's probably a customer program, but it's a possibility (and wishful thinking!)
Ya I've heard they're planning a GTD entry as well, but it's tough to know if that's just a customer or a Risi entry proper. They can't simply move to GTD since they've only used Pro driver lineups in the normal Risi entries... but maybe they have a customer who wants to run.

Because of the cost difference (negligible) and the limitation on driver lineups, I don't see why they'd simply drop down to GTD -- unless someone else was footing the bill.

-mike
Old 31 Jul 2017, 18:30 (Ref:3756492)   #5391
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
Ya I've heard they're planning a GTD entry as well, but it's tough to know if that's just a customer or a Risi entry proper. They can't simply move to GTD since they've only used Pro driver lineups in the normal Risi entries... but maybe they have a customer who wants to run.

Because of the cost difference (negligible) and the limitation on driver lineups, I don't see why they'd simply drop down to GTD -- unless someone else was footing the bill.

-mike
They reported to Dagys, back in June I belive, that they were taking delivery of a GTD spec Ferrari for a collector who was interested in it racing, but not personally racing it. Sounded to me like delivery of a car for a guy to have it run on the track and gain some history, and he found a great crew to run a Ferrari. Think as Mike said, with the right customer/driver lineup the car will see the track. If not, that collector has a very nice track day toy from a great team for that car.

The cost difference between GTLM and GTD is that small? Is that the running costs or all in, car, crew, tires, etc?
Old 31 Jul 2017, 18:36 (Ref:3756494)   #5392
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
The 488 GT3 and GTE/GTLM were designed so they can be easily converted from one spec to another.

IIRC, it's mostly electronics and some aero bits that are the big differences. Certainly not a huge cost difference between the two specs of the 488.
Old 31 Jul 2017, 18:40 (Ref:3756498)   #5393
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
The 488 GT3 and GTE/GTLM were designed so they can be easily converted from one spec to another.

IIRC, it's mostly electronics and some aero bits that are the big differences. Certainly not a huge cost difference between the two specs of the 488.
The JMW Ferrari that won GTE-Am at Le Mans this year was bought off the line as a GT3 car.
Old 31 Jul 2017, 18:56 (Ref:3756500)   #5394
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
VFR Ligier

in french

http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/deb...lorida-racing/
Old 31 Jul 2017, 19:44 (Ref:3756515)   #5395
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post

In fact Risi said it is cheaper to upgrade than to buy the GTLM car, and then you have a resale value package with 2 specs.
Old 31 Jul 2017, 19:45 (Ref:3756516)   #5396
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
The JMW Ferrari that won GTE-Am at Le Mans this year was bought off the line as a GT3 car.
Was that the example where it was cheaper to buy the GT3 car and the kit to convert it than it was to buy the GTE? Or am I thinking of something else?
Old 31 Jul 2017, 20:03 (Ref:3756521)   #5397
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
There doesn't seem to be a ton of difference and probably good value for money if you can get the seemingly slightly cheaper GT3 spec and get the GTE/GTLM conversion kit if it cost about the same just to get the GTE car.

And as I believe was touched upon, you do have to consider resale as well, as opposed to just retail. And if someone just wants the GT3 car, and you got the GTE parts, you have spares if you have the GTE/GTLM version, or maybe you can sell the spares to a willing customer, too.
Old 31 Jul 2017, 20:12 (Ref:3756524)   #5398
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
If Florida was cool, the flags on the dive planes would be too.
Old 1 Aug 2017, 02:06 (Ref:3756572)   #5399
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
If Florida was cool, the flags on the dive planes would be too.
Florida is cool, well the parts around an airfield in the south and a part on the ocean in the east, and well i guess the beaches are pretty cool too.
Old 1 Aug 2017, 02:17 (Ref:3756575)   #5400
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Florida is cool, well the parts around an airfield in the south and a part on the ocean in the east, and well i guess the beaches are pretty cool too.
How many faces have to be eaten off before we cut ties joeb? How many?