Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 1 Feb 2017, 23:16 (Ref:3708512)   #2126
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Different engines. Biggest way to tell them apart (not having seen the engines side by side, and I don't live too far away from where the NSX is being built, ironically) is that the old DP/LMP2 engine had a 60 degree V angle, while the NSX has a 75 degree V angle.
Old 2 Feb 2017, 01:35 (Ref:3708537)   #2127
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
The Honda would probably be called Acura.
The Honda DPi will be known as a Honda.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 2 Feb 2017, 02:38 (Ref:3708547)   #2128
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Talking about engines. The Nissan looks to have the plenum made of aluminium. Anyone know if they used it this way for a question of lack of time to make it lighter or carbon fiber is not allowed on the engines? Nissan team said they have a bad center of gravity with the current engine, a carbon fiber plenum could help to solve that, plus some better arrangement at the top of the engine. The Honda engine from last year had a carbom fiber plenun on it.

Honda Engine

Nissan Engine
Old 2 Feb 2017, 13:04 (Ref:3708673)   #2129
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
They just used the GT3 engine, which has an alu one.

Heard a rumor about a potential Korean manufacture expressing interest in the DPi format while I was down there. Just an overheard one, but it could be interesting.
Old 2 Feb 2017, 14:20 (Ref:3708693)   #2130
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
The Honda would probably be called Acura.
Agreed, might look a bit awkward with the super angular lines of the NSX though (if the program actually happens of course).
Old 2 Feb 2017, 14:23 (Ref:3708695)   #2131
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
They just used the GT3 engine, which has an alu one.

Heard a rumor about a potential Korean manufacture expressing interest in the DPi format while I was down there. Just an overheard one, but it could be interesting.
I heard some Joest-Hyundai talk at MCO last week as well.

Grain of salt, etc, etc.
Old 2 Feb 2017, 17:31 (Ref:3708771)   #2132
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I wonder if it would be badged genesis. They seem to want to push that as the premium Hyundai.
Old 2 Feb 2017, 17:39 (Ref:3708772)   #2133
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
I wonder if it would be badged genesis. They seem to want to push that as the premium Hyundai.
This is what I'm thinking.
Old 2 Feb 2017, 18:08 (Ref:3708779)   #2134
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have been hearing about Hyundai wanting to enter for a while now .... still, i consider it one of the more reasonable rumors.
Old 2 Feb 2017, 18:32 (Ref:3708787)   #2135
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hyundai already have the Lambda 3.8 v6 GDi engine
Old 2 Feb 2017, 18:52 (Ref:3708795)   #2136
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Weren't we speaking about Hyundai and Honda right before the D24? Looks like a story/rumor with some fire behind it.
Old 2 Feb 2017, 19:10 (Ref:3708801)   #2137
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
Hyundai already have the Lambda 3.8 v6 GDi engine
More likely the Tau V8 found in the Genesis and Equus.
Old 2 Feb 2017, 19:17 (Ref:3708804)   #2138
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If wee keep talking about it and citing our own earlier conversations as support, pretty soon we will be convinced it's a fact.

Of course, it won't really count until John Daguys mentions it. We need to work harder.
Old 2 Feb 2017, 19:18 (Ref:3708805)   #2139
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
If wee keep talking about it and citing our own earlier conversations as support, pretty soon we will be convinced it's a fact.

Of course, it won't really count until John Daguys mentions it. We need to work harder.
At which point we'll know it's completely untrue, once he confirms it.
Old 2 Feb 2017, 19:27 (Ref:3708810)   #2140
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I'm sure someone on here will have a super secret source that'll help us out though.
Old 2 Feb 2017, 20:12 (Ref:3708821)   #2141
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
ARE YOU SAYING " DON't BELIEVE IT UNTIL YOU SEE IT ?
Old 2 Feb 2017, 20:13 (Ref:3708822)   #2142
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baldwin View Post
ARE YOU SAYING " DON't BELIEVE IT UNTIL YOU SEE IT ?
I'm saying John Dagys likes to put words into peoples mouths, or likes to be the first to report on something, regardless if he has the facts or not.
Old 2 Feb 2017, 20:23 (Ref:3708826)   #2143
Maelochs
Veteran

I admire Mr. Daguys for all he does ... he works hard, he does traditional journalism, he organizes and directs a work force while working at least as hard himself ....

If he does like to get "‘the scoop” well, that is part of traditional journalism. He usually has a sound basis for what he reports ... and if sometimes he does report rumors and musings .... he doesn’t ever (in my experience) make stuff up, and he works hard to stay on sound footing ... and he cares about having at least some real information to back up what he writes.

I will poke fun at him on occasion, but ... and full disclosure, I am Not on his payroll, nor one of his friends, or even someone he knows .... I think we are pretty lucky to have young, eager, classically trained journalists in sportscar racing. Not a lot of them coming up through the system, in the U.S. at least.

I will joke at his expense about his eagerness to be the first with the latest ... but I sincerely admire his work.

And I eagerly await his “Breaking News” tweet about Hyundai’s LMP1 program .....
Old 2 Feb 2017, 23:28 (Ref:3708875)   #2144
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I'm saying John Dagys likes to put words into peoples mouths, or likes to be the first to report on something, regardless if he has the facts or not.
He's like the kid that you tell one thing and you just know he won't keep it quiet. A friend of mine who did some freelance work for a WEC/ELMS team said he was entirely unwelcome in their pit box/garage/work areas etc.

As we see with the Lexus GTLM plans, he's says they are evaluating them, DSC says it's not happening. Know who I believe? DSC.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 2 Feb 2017, 23:31 (Ref:3708878)   #2145
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Weren't we speaking about Hyundai and Honda right before the D24? Looks like a story/rumor with some fire behind it.
Yes. I brought the idea up from a completely uneducated, taking a shot in the dark after looking a puzzle pieces, point of view.

We will see.
Old 2 Feb 2017, 23:55 (Ref:3708883)   #2146
Maelochs
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
As we see with the Lexus GTLM plans, he's says they are evaluating them, DSC says it's not happening. Know who I believe? DSC.
Actually Mr. Dagys says he has quotes from Lexus execs where they say that ... and I do not think he is lying.

Maybe he is wishfully enhancing ... you know how corporate execs are ... "Oh, yes, we are evaluating that and numerous other possible paths forward where our competition depart can synergetically support our public relations arm via displaying the kind of cutting edge design and technology for which we are known ... " becomes, "Lexus officials are considering a GTE program ... "

But I doubt the guy would actually make stuff up. He might run a bit wild with stuff he hears in passing, but I cannot think of a time he has been proven to have wholly fabricated a story.

Anyway ... we are lucky to have Racer, Racecar Engineering, Daily Sports Car, and Sportscar 365 serving the English-speaking sportscar fan community. (Not that those are the only news sources, but if there is a bit of news, one of them will get it as a rule.)

Again, I was poking fun at Mr. Dagys, but I respect what he does. I cannot see hating on the man; he brings us a lot of news we want brought to us.

By the way ... a journalist who is hated by the establishment is quite possibly a good journalist. One who stays home and parrots press releases will be popular; one which digs for stories will be hated ... except by the readers who want those stories.

I am pretty sure the Nixon administration didn't have a lot of praise for Woodward and Bernstein.
Old 3 Feb 2017, 00:09 (Ref:3708884)   #2147
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
It's how he handles things as well. Take a look at his Twitter around attacks around the world, including the one in France from a few years ago, where he was more worried about his flight potentially being delayed than about the safety of the situation.
Old 3 Feb 2017, 00:15 (Ref:3708885)   #2148
Maelochs
Veteran

I do admit, I found his constant twitter updates of his travel itinerary comical. I don't care if you are the Pope .. . i don't care what airport you are in. That just ain't news.

Anyway ... back to sports cars .... DPi.
Old 3 Feb 2017, 13:15 (Ref:3709016)   #2149
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Actually Mr. Dagys says he has quotes from Lexus execs where they say that ... and I do not think he is lying.

Maybe he is wishfully enhancing ... you know how corporate execs are ... "Oh, yes, we are evaluating that and numerous other possible paths forward where our competition depart can synergetically support our public relations arm via displaying the kind of cutting edge design and technology for which we are known ... " becomes, "Lexus officials are considering a GTE program ... "

But I doubt the guy would actually make stuff up. He might run a bit wild with stuff he hears in passing
It's clear embellishment. Enough of this though, back on topic.
Old 3 Feb 2017, 13:51 (Ref:3709031)   #2150
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
He's like the kid that you tell one thing and you just know he won't keep it quiet.
Well, he's a journalist, he's supposed to do that.