Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Oct 2004, 17:35 (Ref:1140628)   #1
slicktsax
Racer

slicktsax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
choices on cars

so many choices of cars for teams wishing to run in the GT1 and GT2 classes:
GT1:
Aston Martin DBR9
Chevrolet Corvette C5-R
Ferrari/Prodrive 550 GTS
Ferrari 575 GTC
Lamborghini Murcielago R-GT
Lister Storm
Maserati MC12
Saleen S7-R

GT2:
Ferrari 360 GTC
Maserati Trofeo Light
Morgan Areo 8
Panoz Esperante GTLM
Porsche GT3 RSR
Spyker C12
TVR T400R

my question is if u were a team going to run in the GT1 class which would u pick? and which would u pick for the GT2, my picks;
GT1 - Saleen S7-R
GT2 - Maserati Trofeo Light
Old 30 Oct 2004, 17:47 (Ref:1140639)   #2
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
To win : the Mazza an the Porker

To be spoted : the Aston and the Spyker

For fun : the Saleen and the Panoz

Old 30 Oct 2004, 17:52 (Ref:1140645)   #3
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Same for me Im afraid. The Maserati will be the best I feel, despite GM's efforts. And I dont see anything challenging the RSR just yet either..
Old 30 Oct 2004, 21:33 (Ref:1140818)   #4
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
if audi really get behind it...

the lambo.

the porsche is a given.
Old 30 Oct 2004, 21:37 (Ref:1140824)   #5
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Being a turn Brit it has to be the Aston Martin DBR9 and the TVR T400R
Old 31 Oct 2004, 10:35 (Ref:1141151)   #6
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't quite understand why Chevrolet does not open the C6-R to customers?

Other than that I would not go with the Saleen in GT1, I feel it will get outdated soon. Yeah, the Vitaphone Saleen can be the quickest car out there, but it does not have the reliability. Seems they have to do or die to be competitive and that is not the basis for building an endurace racing team.
Old 31 Oct 2004, 16:02 (Ref:1141327)   #7
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT1 - Aston Martin

GT2 - Maserati Trofeo Light with Barbosa co-driving.

Both were chosen based on their looks. Who cares if they are fast, as long as they are good-looking...

Last edited by Cadete; 31 Oct 2004 at 16:04.
Old 31 Oct 2004, 20:18 (Ref:1141561)   #8
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I had infinitly deep pockets to pay for the testing and development it would be the Lambo any day of the week, given a chance it could be a real world beater.

On the GT2 side of the garage it'd have to be the Morgan, it's not the fastest or the most reliable but it has something none of the other cars do... class. I can't help but grin everytime I see a Morgan thundering around the track surrounded by Ferrari's and Porsche's
Old 31 Oct 2004, 20:47 (Ref:1141573)   #9
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not depending on money, my choice should be :
GT1 : Maserati
GT2 : Porsche
Old 31 Oct 2004, 21:35 (Ref:1141582)   #10
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mosler and Mustang.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 1 Nov 2004, 08:13 (Ref:1141837)   #11
mikmx
Racer

Netherlands
rotterdam
mikmx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT1:
For the LMES and ALMS I would choose the Aston and I really want a bnig chance to win Le Mans so I go for the 550 there.

GT2:
Being dutch the Spyker for the LMES and ALMS rounds and I really want a double in Le Mans or at least finish so a 911 RSR would be nice.

Last edited by mikmx; 1 Nov 2004 at 08:14.
Old 1 Nov 2004, 08:33 (Ref:1141843)   #12
klb
Rookie

United States
Alexandria, VA USA
klb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT1-Aston Martin DBR9

GT2-Maserati Trofeo Light
Old 1 Nov 2004, 09:00 (Ref:1141859)   #13
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
Mosler and Mustang.
That's definitely an 'off the beaten tracks' point of view Explain !

The Mosler is/was a great one, but which kind of Mustang do your expect to see in GT ? (is there any in Trans-Am ?)
Old 1 Nov 2004, 09:18 (Ref:1141865)   #14
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT1: Aston Martin DB9
GT2: Morgan Areo 8

Hay im british ;P
Old 1 Nov 2004, 09:23 (Ref:1141872)   #15
slicktsax
Racer

u know i don't recall listing the mosler or the mustang in my lists. i only listed the cars that were eligible for the fia gt and the alms. nor did i list one off specials that private teams developed like the rjn nissan or the carsport pagoni zonda. yeah the prodrive 550's were made by a private team but there were quite a few teams that ran them. prodrive, luc alphand, BMS, larbre and a japanese team running one in the JGTC series. now it would be cool if both the mosler and the stang were accepted in the classes
Old 1 Nov 2004, 11:53 (Ref:1141973)   #16
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mazza in Gt1
Ferrari in Gt2

Ciao Marco
Old 1 Nov 2004, 13:17 (Ref:1142024)   #17
EspritS3
Rookie

EspritS3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maserati Trofeo Light? Are these actually GT2 homologated, and do any race outside of the Maserati championship?

Anyway, my choices for victory:
Maserati in GT1
Porsche in GT2

And the ones I'd like to see do well (and could surprise)
Lister in GT1
TVR in GT2
Old 1 Nov 2004, 14:33 (Ref:1142086)   #18
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Whatever happened to the TVR Speed 12, that's what I'd like to know. That was an impressive piece of kit.
Old 1 Nov 2004, 14:43 (Ref:1142093)   #19
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
The Mosler is/was a great one, but which kind of Mustang do your expect to see in GT ? (is there any in Trans-Am ?)
Mosler because they'll soon have made the 25 cars required for GTS homologation. Martin Short is the UK importer; perhaps he has an idea about someone who might want to run GT1 with a car that's supposed to be quicker than the Saleen out of the box?

Mustang because I had heard (but can't confirm it via google) that they had submitted to FIA for homologation, and are developing the "Ford Racing Performance Parts" catologue for it. (Ford has said the target for the Mustang is semi-pro and grassroots racers, but someone with the dosh could take them one step up I'm sure.)

It won't be until '06 that the independent rear suspension version (Cobra) will be available, but the live rear axle will probably not hinder the car at Le Mans.

Plus, again, both cars are downright sexy. And I might own a Mustang in a little while...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 1 Nov 2004, 18:34 (Ref:1142240)   #20
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
And I might own a Mustang in a little while...
The favourite car of my late father ; and Bullitt's one too ! (the fastback, I think ?)

I assume you did win at the lottery ?
Old 1 Nov 2004, 19:07 (Ref:1142256)   #21
slicktsax
Racer

the maserati trofeo light is homlogated to GT2 regs, just nobody decided to run them. and as far as the one make maserati series, they use the maserati trofeos. there is a difference. the trofeo light is wider, more powerful and more aerodynamic and produces more downforce.
TROFEO:

TROFEO LIGHT
Old 1 Nov 2004, 19:33 (Ref:1142271)   #22
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
The favourite car of my late father ; and Bullitt's one too ! (the fastback, I think ?)

I assume you did win at the lottery ?
Actually, they're not terribly expensive - the base model in Canada is within my price range ($25k Canadian), and I'm replacing my beater next fall at the latest.

-Bill James