Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 21 Nov 2014, 14:07 (Ref:3477284)   #1
leecostelloracing
Racer

United Kingdom
peter kay land
leecostelloracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mick Hill

there is no introduction needed for this great man he was an amazing engineering genius and driver my thoughts go out his family
and I certainly thank mick for putting down the steps for younger drivers like my self to try an walk let alone achieve
much love never forgotten sir mick hill
Old 21 Nov 2014, 14:21 (Ref:3477289)   #2
lotustwincam
Rookie

United Kingdom
lotustwincam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad news, Mick encouraged me to start racing back in 76/77, and always had time to give good advice and have a laugh. A proper star.

RIP Mick

Last edited by lotustwincam; 21 Nov 2014 at 14:23. Reason: add a bit
Old 21 Nov 2014, 14:31 (Ref:3477291)   #3
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sad news.

Mick Hill took Special Saloons to another level with some wonderful and powerful creations. I witnessed some cracking races in the 70's. Mick involved in most of them.

RIP Mick Hill and thanks for the memories.
Old 21 Nov 2014, 14:53 (Ref:3477295)   #4
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So sad to hear this news. He was a great engineer and driver.
Old 21 Nov 2014, 17:01 (Ref:3477322)   #5
Unit 2 Racing
Racer

United Kingdom
Ormesby St. Margaret, Norfolk UK
Unit 2 Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very Sad news.

Back in the 70's I went to pick up a couple of Brabham BT21 rear corners advertised in Autosport. The seller turned out to be Mick Hill, had a very interesting afternoon looking around his cars and projects he was working on.

There are people who drive racing cars and there are Racing Drivers. Gilles Villenuve
Old 21 Nov 2014, 17:17 (Ref:3477324)   #6
col rooney
Racer

Ireland
col rooney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Condolences to his family and friends
Old 21 Nov 2014, 18:33 (Ref:3477347)   #7
backfire
Rookie

backfire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mick had a heart transplant in the pioneer days (they actually left his old heart in - so he had two) and comfortably outlived the other patients of that era. I saw him fairly regularly and he always lived life to the full in the knowledge he had lived for many years on borrowed time. The last time I saw him (shopping in Costco Derby, convertible Bentley in car park!) he seemed a lot weaker, but still cheerful with that full head of black hair and not looking his age.
A very capable driver (check out his solid performances in the ex Mike Wilds March in F5000) and, of course, a fine engineer producing, in terms of outright wins, the most successful racing car ever with the original Boss Capri.
Thanks Mick for the friendship, good memories and entertainment.
Old 21 Nov 2014, 20:21 (Ref:3477369)   #8
dave vass
Racer

England
Kidderminster
dave vass should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mick Hill

Very sad to hear that Super / Special Saloon car legend Mick Hill has passed away. He was a very talented driver and always kept us well entertained at the front of his races along with the late great Gerry Marshall. RIP
Old 21 Nov 2014, 21:11 (Ref:3477381)   #9
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mick Hill

We seem to be losing a few big names from this area of our sport. Mick is a sad loss to us all. I started a little before Mick, but when he came on the scene he brought a lot to the game. I will miss him. It really is the closing of an era.
Old 21 Nov 2014, 21:19 (Ref:3477383)   #10
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mick Hill

I have been reading about Mick on a lot of Special Saloon pages, and just wondered if everyone knew of his passing; on here.
Mick and I go back forty odd years, and back to when we both raced Ford Anglia's. To when he asked me if he could buy my old rolling shell, as he had this idea to put a jag unit under it! Back then only Richard Scantlebury had attempted it. Mick did it, and successfully too. The rest is a wonderful history of Special Saloon racing cars.
Goodbye Mick, and thanks for all those cars, all those years of magnificient motor races.
I will miss you.
Gerry Taylor, ex-racer.
Old 21 Nov 2014, 21:30 (Ref:3477387)   #11
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An innovator and legend that will be long remembered.
Old 22 Nov 2014, 09:56 (Ref:3477499)   #12
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very sad news.
A great racer and brought a great spectacle to super saloon racing in the day
Old 22 Nov 2014, 15:33 (Ref:3477558)   #13
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for letting us know. Wish I'd seen more of his races. RIP Mick.
Old 22 Nov 2014, 22:27 (Ref:3477655)   #14
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's very sad.

I saw him a few weeks ago in the local Post Office. He looked frail, and he was by all accounts - but not so frail that he would be gone so soon after.

RIP Mick.
Old 23 Nov 2014, 06:53 (Ref:3477736)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I remember those fabulous special saloons that he built and raced very well. He was always at the sharp end. Sad news indeed.

I'll move this to Tributes shortly and merge with the thread started there.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 27 Nov 2014, 19:48 (Ref:3479371)   #16
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mick Hill

In the mid 1970's I got the chance to help a local garage owner called Tony Strawson who raced in Super Saloons with a Ford Falcon and then he purchased Mick Hills original Boss Capri, it was a very simple but clever car...it had Lola T70 suspension, huge vented disc brakes and Lola wheels all round, a Jag diff and a Jag gearbox mated to a 4.7 litre Ford V8 to the same spec as a Cobra or GT40 up front which hung on a square tube cradle off the bulkhead a la an XKE !

This clever and effective racecar was and maybe still is the most successful saloon racing car in terms of wins and championships won ever in the UK ?

Mick then replaced it with an even better version!

A true legend has passed!
Old 10 Dec 2014, 21:55 (Ref:3483834)   #17
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks mate for the memories