Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 28 Mar 2008, 14:48 (Ref:2163895)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Homestead Race Weekend Thread

Just thought that you all might want to have a place to talk about the on-track action this weekend.

The first practice session starts in about 45 minutes.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 28 Mar 2008, 14:52 (Ref:2163900)   #2
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For all uk viewers. Sunday morning 12am is when coverage starts.
Old 28 Mar 2008, 15:29 (Ref:2163926)   #3
Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Red Bulldog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must say this is the first time I have been pumped for an IRL race
Old 28 Mar 2008, 15:31 (Ref:2163927)   #4
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its amazing watching the cars going through turns 1 and 2 when the pressures are down. Nearly every car sparks and it looks so spectacular.
Old 28 Mar 2008, 16:00 (Ref:2163958)   #5
georgeboi999
Racer

Ghana
Barnsley, UK
georgeboi999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't wait for this race to happen but I've got the feel that this race might be a borefest. I hope it wont be.
Old 28 Mar 2008, 16:42 (Ref:2163986)   #6
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There will be a lot of traffic, so that alone should make the race interesting, even if the Ganassi cars walk away from the field every time it goes green.
Old 28 Mar 2008, 17:47 (Ref:2164022)   #7
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The IRL on the high banks is usually very entertaining with a lot of passing and side-by-side racing.

Having said that, I hope you don't watch a tape of last year's race...Wheldon dominated it and it was a bit of a snoozer.

I would agree with drdisque that the larger field and traffic should make it interesting...Drivers will have to be quick, but patient to work their way through traffic effectively...If they don't, the cars right behind them that are in contention will sure give you some passing that you want to see.

Old 28 Mar 2008, 23:18 (Ref:2164217)   #8
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Howard and Wheldon in the wall in qualifying.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 00:44 (Ref:2164244)   #9
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On ya Mr D, nice way to start the season.

Props also to Ed Carpenter, where has he been hiding these last couple of years?? Nice to see he finally got it hooked up, hope the car is strong enough for the race though
Old 29 Mar 2008, 01:44 (Ref:2164266)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
STARTING GRID

1. SCOTT DIXON

2. ED CARPENTER

3. AJ FOYT IV

4. DANICA PATRICK

5. RYAN BRISCOE

6. MARCO ANDRETTI

7. HELIO CASTRONEVES

8.TONY KANAAN

9. HIDEKI MUTOH

10. MARTY ROTH

11.RYAN HUNTER-REAY

12.VITOR MEIRA

13.BUDDY RICE

14.DARREN MANNING

15.FRANCK PERERA

16.ORIOL SERVIA

17.JUSTIN WILSON

18.MILKA DUNO

19.ENRIQUE BERNOLDI

20.ERNESTO VISO

21.WILL POWER

22.BRUNO JUNQUEIRA

23.MARIO MORAES

24.DAN WHELDON

25.JAY HOWARD

Last edited by marcus; 29 Mar 2008 at 02:09.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 01:58 (Ref:2164269)   #11
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Should be good.

I'm sure the CCWS guys will lift the pace when they get more time under their belts. It'd be impossible for them not to.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 03:13 (Ref:2164281)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ed and AJ at the front?(raising eyebrows)
Old 29 Mar 2008, 04:41 (Ref:2164304)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Larry Curry has talent....and he knows how to hire people...

Keep in mind that carpenter ran a very solid race last year as they were still building and growing under his leadership

Will they join the top three teams? probabaly not...

But tomorrow night is 200 laps...not four...we'll see what happnes then.

Surely you don't think there is a "fix" in on this, do you, mountainstar????

Old 29 Mar 2008, 09:11 (Ref:2164357)   #14
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So first Champcar man is 15th, and it's Perera. Wouldn't have been my first guess.

And considering Howard and Wheldon didn't run, and ignoring Duno as she's "so slow, she shouldn't be on the track" (Judd) - all the Champcar guys are last.

Clearly the lateness of this and the acclimatisation allowed thus far has been a little sloppy.

Oh well, it's a long season.

Last edited by Hazard; 29 Mar 2008 at 09:14.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 11:47 (Ref:2164429)   #15
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
interesting a few unexpected guys up the front, i'm sure Wheldon will be a big mover. i think the Champcar guys will have a better race then qualifying as they dial themselves into the cars and track.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 12:08 (Ref:2164439)   #16
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Well, part of the fun Hazard is to see how these teams deal with the adversity. Predictable results = boredom.

I think also that the 4 lap qualifier system might favor some of the folks such as Ed and Foyt in a way - they can use consistency as a virtue where some other folks might be faster over a lap.

I am a bit surprised that some of the CC guys who have oval experience are not further up, but then they may be concentrating on getting in the show and finding a solid race trim.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 14:49 (Ref:2164525)   #17
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not really too suprising to see the Champcar drivers towards the back of the grid, as has been said they have had very little time to acclimatise really. Still as the race gets underway im sure they wont be too far off of the ultimate pace. I havent really watched the IRL much before in the past but im looking forward to tonights race.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 15:26 (Ref:2164532)   #18
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC

I am a bit surprised that some of the CC guys who have oval experience are not further up, but then they may be concentrating on getting in the show and finding a solid race trim.
The cars the champcar teams have are junk. Until they get new chassis it's going to be hard to improve.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 15:38 (Ref:2164536)   #19
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Surely you don't think there is a "fix" in on this, do you, mountainstar????
No, no, no of course not.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 15:52 (Ref:2164544)   #20
georgeboi999
Racer

Ghana
Barnsley, UK
georgeboi999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see Ed and AJ up there. Its going to be a hell of a good race tomorow with all of the traffic. Might gets some wrecks tonight.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 16:12 (Ref:2164552)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Champcar guys will catch up. Their starting point, lest we forget, is several years behind the established teams. This year was never going to be easy.

Still, let's go for the wilder theories instead eh?
Old 29 Mar 2008, 16:45 (Ref:2164574)   #22
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Is it just me or are there two car #2's on the grid?
Old 29 Mar 2008, 16:52 (Ref:2164578)   #23
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev
Is it just me or are there two car #2's on the grid?
Just you.

There's an 02.

And a 2.

Fairly ordinary practice in NASCAR so far, and since silly superstitions close off numbers often enough (like '1', which IRL drivers never use, Champcar did but it just got used by the champion teams lead driver).

In the ALMS round at Sebring, there was a #7, #07 and a #007 (Penske, Peugeot & Aston Martin)
Old 29 Mar 2008, 18:39 (Ref:2164625)   #24
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Keep in mind that Dixon, Danica, Helio and some others qualified early and Carpenter and Foyt qualified very late in the session...the track was cooler as was the air, which gives more grip and horsepower...

Let's see how everyone runs in the same conditions side-by-side tonight.

BTW...I expect Wheldon to shoot quickly into contention early... he has dominated this race in the past and was the top dog in practices....

As I said in my article this week, drivers will have to be quick, but patient, in ttraffic....Wheldon will have to be so from the drop of the green flag....

Old 29 Mar 2008, 20:55 (Ref:2164706)   #25
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Vision's failed post qualifying inspection (details withheld) and so will start at the back with Wheldon.

So if Foyt & Carpenter are that fast, should be fun to seem them work their way up.

So Dixon will lead off Patrick on a revised front row, with Briscoe and Andretti on row two.