Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 3 Aug 2016, 06:14 (Ref:3663171)   #1
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Chris Amon

Sadly our best ever F1 driver has passed away today.....http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motorsp...es-in-hospital
Old 3 Aug 2016, 07:58 (Ref:3663187)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Rip Chris, it's always a worry when people die that are not much older than yourself !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 3 Aug 2016, 08:45 (Ref:3663199)   #3
sublimao
Rookie

Italy
Alassio Italian Riviera
sublimao should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris Amon

Years ago in New Zealand I bought a nice book about him and Bruce Mclaren and Denny Hulme: Champions of speed.
RIP Chris Amon
Old 3 Aug 2016, 11:56 (Ref:3663210)   #4
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went to the Chris Amon meeting at Hampton Down.
He was almost embarrassed that all the fuss was for him.
We have lost a legend.
My thoughts are with friends and family at this sad time.
Old 3 Aug 2016, 12:18 (Ref:3663214)   #5
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Sad news, comes the day after the 40th anniversary of the accident that made him retire from F1, Lauda's accident

The man who Mario once described as someone who would end dying if he became an undertaker, he certainly had the talent to be WC certainly could have done in 68, but as it was only had a couple of NC wins to his name. And was probably too nice a guy to have that killer instinct. And was modest enough to admit he was more lucky than unlucky, in that he survived an era that loads of others were dying in

McLaren, Hulme and Amon now all gone. RIP
Old 3 Aug 2016, 13:33 (Ref:3663229)   #6
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Horrible news and such a contemptible disease to befall such a fine man. RIP.
Old 3 Aug 2016, 17:44 (Ref:3663281)   #7
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Someone I've only read about, mostly in my Can Am readings, but Chris raced in the golden era, which meant it was one of the most dangerous times of the sport. He not only survived, but he did it well against many of the greatest ever.

Here he is in the Ferrari 612 P Can Am at Road America. Would hope the circuit would honor him this weekend as we all should.

Hate to see him go at 73 years young.
Old 3 Aug 2016, 18:31 (Ref:3663288)   #8
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He was one of my first heroes. This is sad sad news.

That glorious though controversial Le mans win, the great drive in France in '72 that he should have won, and Techno's sole F1 point in Belgium in '73.
I always root for the underdog. I cheered for Chris a lot.

Old 3 Aug 2016, 22:56 (Ref:3663353)   #9
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
R.I.P Chris.

What a career!!!
Old 4 Aug 2016, 13:04 (Ref:3663419)   #10
owrforever
Rookie

United States
America's Dairyland
owrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridowrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Amon at Spa, 1967

Chris Amon braking heavily for the La Source hairpin, being chased by Rindt. Amon was always a class act, let his driving do his talking. Always took good care of his equipment. On this particular day he finished third, behind Dan Gurney's Eagle and Jackie Stewart's infamous H-16 BRM. Ferrari had brought in Ludovico Scarfiotti and Mike Parkes to fill the void left by the loss of Lorenzo Bandini. Parkes, who had been very successful on the prototype sportscar side of Ferrari, would break both of his legs in an opening lap accident, at Blanchimont.[IMG]
Old 8 Aug 2016, 13:17 (Ref:3664346)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Several great drives in F1 without reward, but we won't forget them.

R.I.P
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 9 Aug 2016, 15:07 (Ref:3664641)   #12
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
JYS once said that the 1970 Marches were so difficult to drive, that only two men could work round it. Stewart himself and Amon. Shows he had natural talent to do it. I often wonder what would have happened if he had quit his own team and went to one of the top teams he was being offered for 1974
Old 12 Aug 2016, 17:25 (Ref:3665393)   #13
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Someone I've only read about, mostly in my Can Am readings, but Chris raced in the golden era, which meant it was one of the most dangerous times of the sport. He not only survived, but he did it well against many of the greatest ever.

Here he is in the Ferrari 612 P Can Am at Road America. Would hope the circuit would honor him this weekend as we all should.

Hate to see him go at 73 years young.
RIP Chris.

My first road course race spectating was the '69 Can Am (drove there 4 times the summer of '77; club racisng) at the "Bridge..." (...hampton, L.I., NY. A golf course now) I've told this story before but what the hay(hey?)...

Chris Q'd 3rd behind the B & D Show (but of course) in the 612 and didn't last long at all (oil pump). After a number of laps, we all wondered what was happening to Denny as he was slowing and drifting back thru the field. As it turned out, he had no problem as he easily mosied (sp?) back up thru the field to win (Bruce 2nd, Jo Siffert 3rd in a 917PA, Pedro 5th in a 312P coupe). 'Found out later he was intentionally sliding back looking for Chris to see if he could help drag him to the front.

Good ol' days. The Can Am was AWESOME; and so was Mssr Amon.

At least he lucked into the Le Mans win in '66 even tho' it was at Miles triple crown expense.

Last edited by jimclark; 12 Aug 2016 at 17:45.

jimclark
Old 12 Aug 2016, 17:43 (Ref:3665401)   #14
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
RIP Chris.

My first road course race spectating was the '69 Can Am (drove there 4 times the summer of '77; club racisng) at the "Bridge..." (...hampton, L.I., NY. A golf course now) I've told this story before...
I've read plenty about the Bridge. Looked epic, just like CanAm. Wasn't Bridgehampton the track that flooded to give Road Atlanta it's first CanAm race? I'd have to look that up again.

I'm sure Chris took a few laps around Bridgehampton...both are now gone but the memories and places in history will always be there.
Old 12 Aug 2016, 17:51 (Ref:3665404)   #15
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Wasn't Bridgehampton the track that flooded to give Road Atlanta it's first CanAm race? I'd have to look that up again.

I'm sure Chris took a few laps around Bridgehampton...both are now gone but the memories and places in history will always be there.
Flooded? Not to my recollection. It was always in financial problems and I think it was just removed from the sched. Same as Trans Am and F5000. 'Lotta years ago, but fond memories.

jimclark