Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 29 Apr 2004, 07:33 (Ref:955408)   #1
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Group C at Le Mans 2004

Does anybody know how the entry list is looking for the Group C race at this years Le Mans.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 07:54 (Ref:955416)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In Motorsport (I think) they said the entry was big. A lot of cars are coming out of the woodwork for this special race.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 07:57 (Ref:955419)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Jiust been through my links: http://www.groupc-gtpracing.com/news.htm

36 cars have entered so far. The usual crowd will be there and the site details some other cars that will be joining. There isn't an exact entry list, but I'd be surprised if they had this spot on now anyway. For example the entry list for the Spa race isn't up yet http://www.rmuclassic.be/2004/entry1.html and that is only a couple of weeks away (I'm itching to know what will be in that too!).

Last edited by Adam43; 29 Apr 2004 at 07:58.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 08:24 (Ref:955446)   #4
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there any chance of a Silk Cut Jag/ Merc C9 (?)???
Old 29 Apr 2004, 09:03 (Ref:955479)   #5
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not sure about the C9's. But there are a few Jags about, I certainly saw a couple at Donnington last year http://lemansnews.fotopic.net/p2162030.html and http://lemansnews.fotopic.net/p2162045.html
Old 29 Apr 2004, 10:08 (Ref:955539)   #6
NissanGTP
Rookie

NissanGTP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There will definately be a few Jags, about five I imagine, there will also be at least one Nissan GTP, a Nissan R-90, two LC2 Lancias, lots of Spices, various 962's, two EMCA Astons, Aston AMR1, some Tiga's, a Bardon, an Argo or two and various others I have forgotten to mention. Entry list looks seriously impressive and I can wait to see them lining up on the grid... prefferably this view will be from my rear view mirror!
Old 29 Apr 2004, 10:28 (Ref:955566)   #7
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks for that. That sounds like one heck of a line up. I can not wait to see it, as I never saw a Group C car running at Le Mans. Roll on June.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 11:59 (Ref:955632)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For anyone in Rob's shoes, make sure you enjoy this. To my mind there was nothing more spectacular at Le Mans than a full field of Group C's.....

What time is the race scheduled for?
Old 29 Apr 2004, 12:26 (Ref:955668)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I'm not sure, but the support raceis normally quite early IIRC, not long after warm-up I can't wait.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 12:32 (Ref:955680)   #10
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
should be at 10 30 or something like that, and last for 45 minutes at least. I just went once to a group C race at Jarama circuit so many years ago, and look forward to the race this year
Old 29 Apr 2004, 14:33 (Ref:955812)   #11
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Dauntless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by NissanGTP
There will definately be a few Jags, about five I imagine, there will also be at least one Nissan GTP, a Nissan R-90, two LC2 Lancias, lots of Spices, various 962's, two EMCA Astons, Aston AMR1, some Tiga's, a Bardon, an Argo or two and various others I have forgotten to mention. Entry list looks seriously impressive and I can wait to see them lining up on the grid... prefferably this view will be from my rear view mirror!
Best of luck in the race, Phil! I retire in May '05 and I am thinking that a trip to Le Mans would be a fitting present to myself. Do you need a volunteer crewman?
Old 29 Apr 2004, 19:02 (Ref:955995)   #12
PRF
Racer

PRF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
For anyone in Rob's shoes, make sure you enjoy this. To my mind there was nothing more spectacular at Le Mans than a full field of Group C's.....

What time is the race scheduled for?
Totally agree. The site and sound of these closed coupes are mouth watering. During the Group C era this category of racing attracted more interest from manufactuers than say F1. At any one time there was Jaguar (TWR & Group 44), Mercedes, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Aston-Martin, Ford (C100 programme), Porsche, Peugeot, Lola, Spice, Ecosse (ARG(Autin Rover Group), Grid etc.

Thundering Supercharged V8 Mercs, shrill Jaguar V12's, popping and banging Cosworth V8's, screatching Mazda's and wailing Astons.

Bring it back.

PRF
Old 30 Apr 2004, 00:30 (Ref:956282)   #13
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by NissanGTP

Who's entering the Nissan R-90. I would love to see some late generation Toyotas, Mazdas and Nissans to challenge the Jaguar and Porsche brigade.
Old 30 Apr 2004, 14:12 (Ref:956952)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
NissanGTP, do you have any idea what will be at the Group-C race next weekend at Spa (the entry list isn't up yet)?
Off topic: BTW, my Dad's car is running well since it went to yours for a tune-up (if you remember!).

Cheers.
Old 20 May 2004, 17:37 (Ref:976798)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
The Group C race entry list is up on DSC.

I count 37. A good field
Old 20 May 2004, 18:09 (Ref:976826)   #16
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Just seen that myself Adam, now I can't wait to see them myselfs.....
Old 20 May 2004, 18:56 (Ref:976888)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
By the way, to answer my own question from a little earlier.....

The Group C/GTP practice session is between 5.30 and 6.30 p.m. on Thursday while the race is scheduled to start at 10.15 a.m.

timetable
Old 20 May 2004, 20:53 (Ref:977005)   #18
simon c
Racer

simon c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
loads of hype re: group c / gtp cars this year and rightly so. however how many of these cars will actually go full out this year. they're expensive to run and maintain and, with a few execeptions (Kelleners for example) are crewed by amateurs. what lap times do forum readers expect? bear in mind that in race trim with chicanes xjr-12 / nissan / porsche have never gone below 3.40. in 91 a 3.50 was a good race time for an xjr12 or 962 (albeit with 1000kgs).

i'd love to see a nissan catapult fully wound up or a big boost 962, but imho a 3.55 will be a good time. i do hope however that i will eat my words.

by the way ayse - c'est moi...
Old 20 May 2004, 21:06 (Ref:977022)   #19
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Kelleners, Pearson, Law, Pullan, BVR, Whight, Agg, Hathaway, Leslie, Randall - All of these (and a fair few more of them) will get the cars shuffling along. Ladies and gentlemen this will be no pre-race parade - methinks there will be fewer photographers kicking around the press room on race morning this year!
Old 20 May 2004, 21:11 (Ref:977031)   #20
simon c
Racer

graham - what lap times do you think we'll see?? (yep - leslie, bvr agree with you a la kelleners) may be it's rose tinted specs again - but we'll never see the likes of stuck or larrauri truly chucking a 962 about will we...
Old 20 May 2004, 21:14 (Ref:977033)   #21
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd be suprised if the GTS pole time is beaten. Personally I think Pole will be 5 seconds slower than GTS pole which I belives will be around 3.48.

Even in the Group C heyday only the qualifying specials with big boost engines got below 3.40, with the quickest around 3.35. The Nissan R90C did a 3.27, but this was on a LM circuit at least 3 seconds quicket than today with qualifying tyres and engine.

At Donnington last year the pole time was a 1.28 by Nielson, I think, in a Kremer 962. The DTM pole that day was also a 1.28, the same as a GTS car as well.

The Group C cars were supper quick in qualifying but much slower in race trim. The current R8 by comparison can run in run mid 3.30 laps for 24 hours. Some achievement.

Last edited by JAG; 20 May 2004 at 21:18.
Old 20 May 2004, 21:22 (Ref:977041)   #22
simon c
Racer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JAG
[B]I'd be suprised if the GTS pole time is beaten. Personally I think Pole will be 5 seconds slower than GTS pole which I belives will be around 3.48.

Even in the Group C heyday only the qualifying specials with big boost engines got below 3.40, with the quickest around 3.35. The Nissan R90C did a 3.27, but this was on a LM circuit at least 3 seconds quicket than today with qualifying tyres and engine.

1990 - qualifying xjr12s of davy jones / martin brundle / big john all went 3.37 or below.

yep - agree with pole time estimate. imo, i can't see anybody turning up the wick (or being allowed too) cos of the maintenance costs.

as an aside - i dont't think i saw an entry from siggi brunn. does he still run 956 / 962s??
Old 20 May 2004, 21:27 (Ref:977046)   #23
JAG
Veteran

England
Remember the LM circuit pre 1994 was a good few seconds quicker than today, so add 3+ seconds to all the Group C lap times. Plus qualifying tires and engines make a big, big difference.

Last edited by JAG; 20 May 2004 at 21:30.
Old 20 May 2004, 21:43 (Ref:977062)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
There will be a little of improved technology in the current cars. All historics are faster now than they were. Although with these Group C's I don't expect too much of that.
Old 20 May 2004, 21:50 (Ref:977072)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
The Group Cs over the last couple of years have only got down to 2m15s round Spa, but in the late '80s they were easily under the 2m barrier. IIRC the circuit isn't that different - if anything they've eased the exit of the bus stop.

So we are looking at 4m laps.