Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 20 May 2004, 22:18 (Ref:977101)   #26
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by simon c

by the way ayse - c'est moi...

Good man - glad to see you here!
Old 20 May 2004, 23:00 (Ref:977130)   #27
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
It'll be interesting to see what speeds they get up to by the time they have accelerated out of Arnage, and then pass my post 0.6kms later. Had a stopwatch on the Bentley's last year, they did it in 15 seconds, so will be an interesting comparison.

And if you want to know why it was timed - it's because our campsite is on one side of the road and half the marshals have to stand the other side of the track, and it's a good idea to know if you have time to cross safely!!!!!!

Steve
Old 20 May 2004, 23:54 (Ref:977165)   #28
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jacky Ickx was on a Eurosport program and he actually said the current cars accellerate quicker than the Group C cars, at least upto 150mph. After this the extra horsepower of the Group C cars begins to show.
Old 21 May 2004, 08:54 (Ref:977420)   #29
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That could also be down to the gearing (if he is talking about Le Mans spec. - which he might not be). The gearing might have be generally longer for cars that used to race on a 3 mile straight and did 240mph+.
Old 21 May 2004, 09:25 (Ref:977449)   #30
NissanGTP
Rookie

NissanGTP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's going to be very interesting to see how we all fair at LeMans. The biggest hurdle for the teams and drivers is limited experience at the track. I think the car to beat will be the Kremer Porsche, particularly if Kelleners is driving, as Kremer has such huge experience of the track. You must remember that we only have 1 hour to practice and qualify and LeMans is a huge circuit to learn.

If anyone thinks we will be parading around they are very wrong, I will be giving it my all as usual and I'm sure I won't be the only one.

In terms of lap times it is pretty difficult to speculate with any accuracy. I'm sure we will be a fair way off the LMP cars but we have a huge power advantage over GTS cars which will be telling on a track like LeMans. You have to remember that Many of the Group-C cars were designed specifically for LeMans where they will come into their own.

How my Nissan gets on will be very interesting as, being an IMSA car, it isn't really set up for top speed. However, the Nissans in the states hit 210mph at Daytona which should be enough with the chicanes. I hope they have a speed gun on us at the end of Mulsanne as it will be very interesting to compare our top speed with the modern cars.
Old 21 May 2004, 09:43 (Ref:977471)   #31
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Are you fairly confident of hitting 200mph?
Have you achieved that in this car?

(While the corners are the interesting bits its a nice number isn't it!)
Old 21 May 2004, 09:56 (Ref:977479)   #32
NissanGTP
Rookie

I did the maths after taking the drag figures from mulsannescorner website and worked out that we wouldn't quite touch 200. I have since chatted to the guys who prepare Brian DeVries Nissan in the states and they told me that their car hits 210 at Daytona. I can only assume that the figures on Mulsannescorner are slightly wrong and if the Brian's car tops 200 then so will mine. It certainly has the power, the only issue is the drag.

The highest we have been is about 180+ at A1 ring and it was still accelerating very hard .
Old 21 May 2004, 10:00 (Ref:977485)   #33
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aysedasi has asked for suggestions of the LMP pole time, and if dry most will guess between 3.28 - 3.35, what do you expect your pole time to be, are the figures quoted on page 2 realistic?

Are the teams worried about tyres, 3 190mph+ runs will be hard on them.

Last edited by Nordic; 21 May 2004 at 10:04.
Old 21 May 2004, 10:13 (Ref:977494)   #34
NissanGTP
Rookie

I havn't had nearly enough experience of LeMans to give you a good answer to that.
Old 21 May 2004, 11:46 (Ref:977592)   #35
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
to NissanGTP: Wish you a good race. Will you have time to attend the forum meeting at Le Mans ? It would be good to see a driver between us...
Old 21 May 2004, 12:16 (Ref:977633)   #36
NissanGTP
Rookie

I don't see why not. When and where is it being held?
Old 21 May 2004, 17:56 (Ref:977963)   #37
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have heard that the Group C race will be featured on the 2004 season review DVD of Le Mans, which would be great.
Old 21 May 2004, 18:36 (Ref:978014)   #38
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We will meet, at least, friday 15:00in front of pescarolo pit, saturday and sunday 12:00 in the village. further meetings will be programmed maybe
Old 21 May 2004, 19:24 (Ref:978050)   #39
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by NissanGTP
I don't see why not. When and where is it being held?
The one place I don't want to see you is at Post 106 - it's a long walk back to the pits from there!!!

Steve
marshal
Old 21 May 2004, 20:02 (Ref:978075)   #40
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Nissan GTP - You've got mail - trust me you'll love this!!
Old 22 May 2004, 11:04 (Ref:978628)   #41
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
I have heard that the Group C race will be featured on the 2004 season review DVD of Le Mans, which would be great.

Like the Legends race was featured (very nicely indeed) on last years review DVD.
Old 22 May 2004, 19:45 (Ref:979043)   #42
simon c
Racer

simon c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
looking the entry list, one name missing imo.

win percy - until his dreadful misfortune last year, a regular historic group c / general sportscar frontrunner. would surely have been a frontrunner.

met win twice - 84 spa 24 hours and in 88, with mike wilds, on cherboug-poole ferry home after the race. thoroughly engaging and human. he told me that there are 3 races that stood out for him, and he wanted to win - spa 24, bathurst 1000 and le mans. he'd already won spa in 84, went on to win bathurst in 90 and but for THAT crash, who knows LM 87???

spare a thought for win percy when group c/gtp race kicks off - he may well have fulfilled his dream
Old 23 May 2004, 08:08 (Ref:979441)   #43
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Will Win Percy enter the Classic in July ?
Old 23 May 2004, 14:11 (Ref:979912)   #44
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
I read somewhere that a Jaguar MkII is being adapted for hand controls for him.

Wonder if this system can be adapted for othe cars?
Old 23 May 2004, 18:24 (Ref:980253)   #45
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
The Group Cs over the last couple of years have only got down to 2m15s round Spa, but in the late '80s they were easily under the 2m barrier. IIRC the circuit isn't that different - if anything they've eased the exit of the bus stop.

So we are looking at 4m laps.
Looking at the qualifying form the Group C years, the fastest ever lap was a 1.59 by a Sauber Mercedes C11 in 1990. In the same event the Nissan R90C did a 2.05 in qualifying, so the Sauber was really flying. Remember the Group C cars had the benefit of much more powerful qualifying engines, unlike the current cars.

The fastest time by a current LMP1 car was a 2.07 by the RFH Dome in 2002. An R8 has only raced at Spa in 2003 when it did a 2.14 in wet conditions. I would imagine a 2004 'privateer' R8 could do at least a 2.05 in qualifying.

The LMES cars do not use qualifiers so it will be interesting to see what the cars do on soft race tyres.

Last edited by JAG; 23 May 2004 at 18:26.
Old 23 May 2004, 18:59 (Ref:980282)   #46
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
Believe from speaking with Win recently, the plan is to try and enter the Goodwood Revival in September. But I believe Win is hoping to be at LM to be amongst friends again.
Old 24 May 2004, 06:14 (Ref:980797)   #47
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
He did a wonderful job two years ago at LM : do you know why he won't enter the Classic race ? Money ? Car ? Too much work with too many events ?
Old 24 May 2004, 06:19 (Ref:980802)   #48
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Fab, are you aware that Win has suffered a fairly serious back injury?
Old 24 May 2004, 06:44 (Ref:980814)   #49
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham Goodwin
Fab, are you aware that Win has suffered a fairly serious back injury?
No, I didn't know that... due to a race's accident ?

How is he now ?
Old 24 May 2004, 09:52 (Ref:980967)   #50
NissanGTP
Rookie

Win actually had an accident gardening which has left him paralysed. He was such a great guy to have involved with the Group-C revival and it as a tragedy he can't race at LeMans. He is having a Mrk2 Jag prepared for him with special hand controls so at least he will be able to get behind the wheel again though.