Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 26 May 2004, 14:07 (Ref:983906)   #1
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Le Mans Weather

So what is it going to do this year - its been 3 years since the last significant rain so it it time?

I have found this long range forecast which takes us up to Wednesday 9th and looks good. But these are notoriously unreliable.
Old 26 May 2004, 14:27 (Ref:983930)   #2
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
A bit early, but it looks good...
Old 26 May 2004, 16:49 (Ref:984102)   #3
neiltbag
Racer

United States
Petaluma, CA
neiltbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay, call me a total geek, but I crunched some numbers on a spreadsheet a few weeks ago, looking at all races since 1962. Mathematically this year should be warm but not hot, with the slight chance of a shower or two. In reality, we're close enough now that a long-range forecast can give better details.

The chance of a 2001-style deluge is 3% (once again mathematically speaking).

I'm such a geek...
Old 26 May 2004, 16:57 (Ref:984108)   #4
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
And I though I was bad searching for the long range forecasts!
Old 26 May 2004, 19:36 (Ref:984283)   #5
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
why bother? It WILL be nice, that's all !
and I'm sure of that (that's what I dreamt the other night ...)
Old 26 May 2004, 20:22 (Ref:984356)   #6
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As long as it doesn't rain I will be happy, saying that I have done 2 Le Mans now and I have got a suntan both times.
Old 27 May 2004, 10:26 (Ref:984923)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Call me daft, but I don't mind a bit of rain. I can take it either way.

The sight of these great cars kicking up the spray is something. I'm not talking about the extremes, obviously, but I find rain does add something. Especially to the atmosphere (bad pun).

However there is the inevitable safety issue. Following a car with modern wets on is unbelievable - it kicks up so much spray it is difficult to see anything. Sometimes you can only just see the 300/200/100m boards and these are your only indication of a corner coming! It requires fantastic concentration.

However I have fond memories of 1995 and 2001 because of the rain.
Old 27 May 2004, 16:15 (Ref:985251)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr. Ashmore, obviously you were not spending Le Mans 2001 in a tent.

Having proved that I can survive le deluge in 2001, I have decreed that we will have dry weather from now on.
Old 27 May 2004, 16:25 (Ref:985260)   #9
simon c
Racer

simon c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
A bit early, but it looks good...
erm, look at thursday 10th -what is that symbol over nw france?
Old 27 May 2004, 16:47 (Ref:985280)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Mr. Ashmore, obviously you were not spending Le Mans 2001 in a tent.

Having proved that I can survive le deluge in 2001, I have decreed that we will have dry weather from now on.
You are right. Although I was in 1995. Fantastic year, which cemented me as a JJ fan forever...

This year we aren't in a tent (haven't done that for a few years), but if it is raining at midnight expect to find me at Arnage with a huge smile

Also our car tends to leak a little too (although is that sorted for this year - maybe - we ask this every year, but it may be true this year).

If it does rain my friend who works for the press association will be able to tease me as he spends all the time in the media office or the cushey Audi hospitality. As no doubt you will be able to

Last edited by Adam43; 27 May 2004 at 16:50.
Old 27 May 2004, 16:59 (Ref:985289)   #11
SuperDavros
Rookie

SuperDavros should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1995 was my first year - we didn't take a tent.

I think it was 2001 it rained so hard that an impromptu shower, (including shampoo) was possible in the campsite.

Le Mans, no tent - no point! (Until age and wealth take over)
Old 27 May 2004, 17:02 (Ref:985296)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by SuperDavros
(Until age and wealth take over)
I must be too old then.
However, I know what you mean.
Old 27 May 2004, 19:10 (Ref:985378)   #13
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by simon c
I'd translate this as a "cloudy veil", not surprising with temperatures (27 to 30°C).
Old 28 May 2004, 05:27 (Ref:985750)   #14
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by simon c
He he forcasts are changing each day, and the link is still valid... comments will change again
Old 28 May 2004, 05:37 (Ref:985752)   #15
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
Patrick B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Call me daft, but I don't mind a bit of rain. I can take it either way.
I like the rain also, makes for an interesting race. I even looked forward to the rain at Daytona. That was until i had to swim back to the rental car at 1am
Old 28 May 2004, 05:52 (Ref:985754)   #16
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
He he forcasts are changing each day, and the link is still valid... comments will change again
And my link shows a completely different picture to yours Fab
Old 28 May 2004, 12:03 (Ref:986149)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sunny, sunny,hot, hot,
Sunny, sunny,hot, hot,
Sunny, sunny,hot, hot,
Sunny, sunny,hot, hot,
Sunny, sunny,hot, hot,
Sunny, sunny,hot, hot,
Sunny, sunny,hot, hot,
Sunny, sunny,hot, hot,
Sunny, sunny,hot, hot,
Sunny, sunny,hot, hot,
Sunny, sunny,hot, hot,
Sunny, sunny,hot, hot,
Sunny, sunny,hot, hot.

Nuff said.
Old 28 May 2004, 12:24 (Ref:986171)   #18
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will need to be because the Pits Grandstand roof is too high to give any protection from the rain (well it wasn't in 2001 anyway).
Old 28 May 2004, 13:01 (Ref:986210)   #19
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Sunny, sunny,hot, hot
This is confirmed by the long range forecasts : sunny, and VERY hot on the spot...

Mind the cream !
Old 28 May 2004, 13:04 (Ref:986211)   #20
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Mal
And my link shows a completely different picture to yours Fab
Don't know for yours, but I experimented the one I posted above, they're not too bad for forecasts above France... well, there's still 15 days to go, not easy to make predictions...
Old 28 May 2004, 13:17 (Ref:986229)   #21
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Somebody in the prediction threads predicted rain
I wondered at the time whether Ayse might break his own rules to post the fact that the member in question was either banned, or in serious danger of it for suggesting such weather

But he didn't.

Those long range forcasts go up to 9th June though don't they?
I bet it rains after that
Old 28 May 2004, 14:01 (Ref:986293)   #22
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
Those long range forcasts go up to 9th June though don't they? I bet it rains after that
The site mentions the fact that the anticyclone will stay for long after the 9th of June...
Old 28 May 2004, 14:37 (Ref:986336)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
Somebody in the prediction threads predicted rain
I wondered at the time whether Ayse might break his own rules to post the fact that the member in question was either banned, or in serious danger of it for suggesting such weather

I noticed p, but bit my tongue........
Old 28 May 2004, 15:12 (Ref:986385)   #24
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are my ears burning?

The rain won't be heavy, just a couple of short showers when Mr Lehto is in his Audi, with a couple of laps to make up on the leading dallara after a small problem on the one remaining Audi.

Last edited by Nordic; 28 May 2004 at 15:13.
Old 28 May 2004, 15:16 (Ref:986389)   #25
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And then of course that Barbosa will excel in the rain and the Dallara will win...