Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 7 Jun 2004, 16:17 (Ref:996346)   #1
JWT
Rookie

JWT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hancock in @ Le Mans

Hancock lands top factory drive for Le Mans 24 Hours

24 year old Briton, Sam Hancock has been confirmed for the Le Mans 24 Hour race next weekend as a 'factory' driver for the famous Courage Competition team. He will be partnered by established star and former team mate, Jean-Marc Gounon, and Swiss driver Alexander Frei in the Courage C65 prototype that competes in the LMP2 category.

This will be Hancock's 2nd run in the gruelling endureance event having made his debut in 2002 for JMB Ferrari in a 360 Modena - in the process he became the youngest ever driver to represent the legendary marque.

The deal is fabulous news for Sam, who has spent some challenging weeks on the sidelines lately since funding problems halted his intended F3000 programme only 3 days before the first race, despite very strong winter testing performances in the category.

Sam Hancock: "This is incredible news. I can't wait to get back to Le Mans - I'm in love with the place! To be asked to drive for a works team as high profile as Courage after the frustations I've had this year, is just wonderful - and just goes to show that you should NEVER give up. Hopefully it also gives all those sponsors, investors and supporters who have stood by me this year something to smile about too - I am so grateful for their support and I hope that a big deal like this will get us back on track."

Taken from www.samhancock.com.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 16:20 (Ref:996350)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That is good news and yet another Brit on the grid. I think he might be in with a chance of doing quite well.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 16:22 (Ref:996351)   #3
JWT
Rookie

Class win perhaps if the car lasts? J.M Gounon is certainly not slow and Sam matched him when they were racing at Kremer together!
Old 7 Jun 2004, 16:54 (Ref:996393)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sounds a useful pairing. What do we know about Alexander's "pedigree"?
Old 7 Jun 2004, 17:01 (Ref:996404)   #5
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
weren't new drivers at LM supposed to do at least 10 laps during the test day?
ok, he brings money, but the rules are again largely broken
Old 7 Jun 2004, 17:03 (Ref:996408)   #6
Joe Twyman
Rookie

Joe Twyman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who is Frei? I thought Cochet was meant to be in the car?! Hancock Gounon and Cochet WOULD have been something special! As it is things should be looking good!

Last edited by Joe Twyman; 7 Jun 2004 at 17:06.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 17:11 (Ref:996423)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Cochet or Tinseau. Still, I giuess its the best of both worlds, some decent cash and a pretty strong driver line up.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 18:22 (Ref:996496)   #8
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frei was originally down to be in the 33 car with Goosens and Belloc, with Cochet, Gounon and Tinseau in the 31 courage. Info on Frei seems a little thin on the ground, although he did a few FIA GT rounds in 2001 and 2002 in a Diablo.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 19:45 (Ref:996580)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bernard b
weren't new drivers at LM supposed to do at least 10 laps during the test day?
ok, he brings money, but the rules are again largely broken
He's not new - he raced in 2002
Old 7 Jun 2004, 19:56 (Ref:996589)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Where? Not at Le Mans.

Not according to my Liste des Engages, anyway........
Old 8 Jun 2004, 06:56 (Ref:996917)   #11
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
He's not new - he raced in 2002
you're right ! sorry, I missed that bit

he was on #70 JMB Modena, with Martin Short and Cort Wagner
he even crashed the car in his first lap ...
Old 8 Jun 2004, 07:06 (Ref:996926)   #12
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Who- Hancock or Frei?
Hancock drove a JMB Ferrari in 2002- shared with Martin Short and an American- can't recall who without looking it up-, but went out early in the race.
It's Frei's first time at LM, but he was part of the Courage squad at the test weekend (originally listed for the car they've withdrawn), so will presumably have done his required 10 laps. Don't know much about him though- mcurtis mentioned FIA GT experience in a Lambo- think that amounts to couple of Spa 24-hour appearances in a Diablo

Last edited by KA; 8 Jun 2004 at 07:08.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 07:12 (Ref:996930)   #13
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
I was speaking about Hancock
Frei attended the test day on another Courage
Old 8 Jun 2004, 07:36 (Ref:996947)   #14
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
think we were posting about Hancock in the JMB 360 at the same time- I was replying to Ayse's comment about the list des engages, but had to answer the door in mid-post- my internet connection has been painfully slow this morning anyway.....
Old 8 Jun 2004, 12:09 (Ref:997196)   #15
Fieldgate
Racer

Fieldgate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sam "stuff it in the wall on my out lap" Hancock was indeed in the JMB360 in '02.

Martin never got the chance to step in the car at the race because the "superstars" wouldn't listen to putting more wing on to take the Porsche Curves better.

Result - twisted chassis after collision with wall at exit of PC's.

...and Sam's career went nowhere thereafter.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 12:19 (Ref:997210)   #16
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
... nowhere but at Courage's...
Old 8 Jun 2004, 12:20 (Ref:997216)   #17
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F3000?
Old 8 Jun 2004, 12:27 (Ref:997227)   #18
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hancock was after a F3000 or Dallara Nissan drive, and was strongly linked with the Arden seat which went to Doornbos for a bit. I think he tried to qualify for a few early rounds and had some link up with Eddie Jordan. His bigest publicity so far this year was when he was photographed several times with Tara Palmer-Tomkinson. I asked him at Autosport International whether he was interested in a return to sports cars, but he said not for a few years, so I guess budget problems limited his single seater chances. Frei has also raced in the Lambo SuperTrophy
Old 8 Jun 2004, 15:47 (Ref:997433)   #19
JWT
Rookie

Sam is a bloody good driver, just challenged by funds as is often the case these days! With regards to the Le Mans crash, its unfair to blame him without the full story and as I heard it, there was a faliure on the car.... He was quick at Kremer, uncomfortable in International F3000, and quick in the Euro 3000 tests....Hopefully this will provide him with the break he needs to get his career back on track....
Old 8 Jun 2004, 16:10 (Ref:997466)   #20
Fieldgate
Racer

On the basis I was standing in the garage at the time, I think my story is as full as anyone's...

If you're ever so bothered, ask about the speed differentials into the curves on that out-lap compared with all of the qualifying runs and you can form your own conclusions.

I'm sorry to say, but the only failure in that car at that time had flesh surrounding it, irrespective of whatever urban myths have been spread subsequently.

Sam is a nice guy, but there are 100's of nice guys.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 16:13 (Ref:997470)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Fieldgate, I may have missed it somewhere, but you're opbviously "connected", can you divulge how so?
Old 8 Jun 2004, 16:58 (Ref:997525)   #22
Fieldgate
Racer

X-Markets - Deutsche Bank.

...so it's my train set.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 18:08 (Ref:997596)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
LOL
Old 8 Jun 2004, 22:38 (Ref:997874)   #24
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
X-Markets - Deutsche Bank... that's the Dallara's sponsor. Send wishes of best luck to the team and to Barbosa for me. And if by some weird idea you decide to do some kind of publicity stunt or testing here in Portugal, warn me!

sorry for the OT post, back to Hancock.