Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Mar 2015, 18:53 (Ref:3514548)   #1
daallo
Rookie

Mexico
Mexico
daallo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mexican GP sold out within 10 minutes. Normal in other GPs?

After 23 years the GP is back to México City, so I went early this morning to line up for buying my ticket when they went on sale but apparently they sold out within 10 minutes. The website (Ticketmaster) says there are tickets available to but cliking on every individual section will say there are no more tickets. No tickeet for me

Certainly I expected a quick sold out, but is it normal for other GPs? I remember that for the Australian GP I bought my ticket in Formula1.com like one month early.

Do all other GPs sell in Formula1.com and México is a rare exception to do it the Mexican way? There's already tickets being resold at thousands of Dollars

The tickets were expensive for a developing country (front stretch 1400 USD for example) but F1 has always raced at sold out crowds in every era (62'-71' and 86'-92', now 15'-) but what is sad is that now it only has a capacity for like 60,000 people top with no tickets out of grandstands (the so called general admission that every track has here is on grandstands) and around 30,000 in a bullshit baseball stadium where you will only see a Carrousel...
Old 12 Mar 2015, 19:02 (Ref:3514549)   #2
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
great that the Mexican GP sold out so quickly...sad that you didnt get a seat even after waiting in line.

being a cynic i wonder how many of those seats were bought by third party companies, some to sell as part of tour packages and others so they can sell them on the secondary market at a higher price.

Montreal sells out every year yet there are always last minutes tickets available at the track...so i guess its how they define 'sellout' but certainly i have never heard of a GP selling out that quickly.
Old 12 Mar 2015, 19:20 (Ref:3514555)   #3
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
As already suggested, touts and agencies will have taken the baulk of those, but i suspect that the tickets may be released in tranches rather than all at once so more may be put up later
Old 12 Mar 2015, 19:21 (Ref:3514557)   #4
daallo
Rookie

Mexico
Mexico
daallo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's what I'm thinking yeah, there have to be some artound taken by 3rd parties...
Old 12 Mar 2015, 19:22 (Ref:3514558)   #5
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[QUOTE=daallo;3514548]
Do all other GPs sell in Formula1.com and México is a rare exception to do it the Mexican way? There's already tickets being resold at thousands of Dollars
QUOTE]

Sounds like ticket touts bought them by the hundreds if they are already being offered for sale at much higher prices.
Old 13 Mar 2015, 21:42 (Ref:3514914)   #6
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
[QUOTE=wolfhound;3514558]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daallo View Post
QUOTE]

Sounds like ticket touts bought them by the hundreds if they are already being offered for sale at much higher prices.
Why is everyone so critical of touts?

The organisers have sold all the tickets at the price they want, thought they could get and somebody else is now taking the risk for profit.

Houses, land reserves, share issues, oil reserves all the same, equally unacceptable but usual business practise!
Old 13 Mar 2015, 22:31 (Ref:3514931)   #7
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
If companies bought all tickets is because they think they can sell them and get more money than they paid for the tickets.
Old 13 Mar 2015, 23:22 (Ref:3514942)   #8
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[QUOTE=wnut;3514914]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post

Why is everyone so critical of touts?

The organisers have sold all the tickets at the price they want, thought they could get and somebody else is now taking the risk for profit.

Houses, land reserves, share issues, oil reserves all the same, equally unacceptable but usual business practise!
In this part of the world tickets to events usually cannot legally be sold above the value printed on the ticket.
Old 13 Mar 2015, 23:29 (Ref:3514943)   #9
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
[QUOTE=wolfhound;3514942]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

In this part of the world tickets to events usually cannot legally be sold above the value printed on the ticket.
My question though Wolfhound is why?

Capitalism seems to enjoy all forms of profiteering, why is it suddenly wrong when applied to sports event tickets?
Can do it with food reserves, electricity, water!
I just don't get it.
Old 13 Mar 2015, 23:33 (Ref:3514946)   #10
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because often (but not always) a lot of these major events are supported by public funding - hence why the tickets are priced more affordable than otherwise might be. Even the US GP, the home of rampant capitalism, was supported by significant public funding.
Old 14 Mar 2015, 00:15 (Ref:3514958)   #11
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
If companies bought all tickets is because they think they can sell them and get more money than they paid for the tickets.
That's true, by reselling them or on promotions.
Old 18 Mar 2015, 11:51 (Ref:3516747)   #12
tigas
Racer

Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
tigas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something that has crossed my mind recently is if attendance to the US Grand Prix at COTA is going to suffer from this. IIRC, the Mexican contingent at COTA was very significant.
Old 19 Mar 2015, 13:30 (Ref:3517093)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigas View Post
Something that has crossed my mind recently is if attendance to the US Grand Prix at COTA is going to suffer from this. IIRC, the Mexican contingent at COTA was very significant.
It's not going to make one bit of difference...
Old 19 Mar 2015, 15:18 (Ref:3517121)   #14
tigas
Racer

Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
tigas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
It's not going to make one bit of difference...
Great! I like COTA.
Old 23 Mar 2015, 04:29 (Ref:3518499)   #15
fredd1
Racer

fredd1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently not normal in Germany.....
Old 23 Mar 2015, 12:03 (Ref:3518586)   #16
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
It was The Cartel.

The travelling circus of a 'racing series' is the perfect vehicle to import/export your product.
Old 23 Mar 2015, 18:14 (Ref:3518707)   #17
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the race after Mexico is Brazil....thats the wrong direction for the product to be moving in.