Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 21 May 2009, 15:25 (Ref:2466500)   #1
MarkkuAlen86
Rookie

Wales
Wales
MarkkuAlen86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clubs running cars similar to 90's BTCC

I only know of PBMW. Do any UK Clubs run saloon cars similar to the BTCC rules in the 90's, except maybe more cost effective, with good grids and calendar?

Whats my best bet?

Thanks,
MA86.
Old 21 May 2009, 17:16 (Ref:2466565)   #2
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry im a bit confused. In the 90s BTCC ran to supertouring rules, these while in the years 90-94 looked like road going cars were far from it, after this period the supertourers looked like proper racing cars with wings etc
PBMW cars are road cars with cages, similar in silhouette but far from similar in performance.
I think some later supertourers with wings etc run with LMA Eurosaloons, as for the more production looking machines perhaps Sportmaxx runs the closest to this ethos?
Simon
Old 21 May 2009, 19:02 (Ref:2466638)   #3
MarkkuAlen86
Rookie

Wales
Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowen250 View Post
sorry im a bit confused. In the 90s BTCC ran to supertouring rules, these while in the years 90-94 looked like road going cars were far from it, after this period the supertourers looked like proper racing cars with wings etc
PBMW cars are road cars with cages, similar in silhouette but far from similar in performance.
I think some later supertourers with wings etc run with LMA Eurosaloons, as for the more production looking machines perhaps Sportmaxx runs the closest to this ethos?
Simon
Thanks for the reply, just realised I shouldn't have said BTCC 'rules' in my original post. I'm guessing it'd still be very expensive to run Super Touring rules!

What I ment to say was similar saloon cars, Vauxhall Cavalier, Toyota Carina, Ford Mondeo etc? With maybe strict rules to keep the racing close?
Old 22 May 2009, 07:22 (Ref:2466887)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
If you think PBMW entries are dear you are in for a shock as they are offering the best value about at the moment as is their sister series. You could come and race with me in the Classic Touring Cars Group 1 or Pre-93's where we have a special class for PBMW cars, expect to pay a little more though but you will have the advantage of a sensible number of cars out there not packed grids of 30 plus with reserves which I feel can get a bit fraught and believe some other drivers may feel the same way talking to some of them but you cannot have it both ways, i.e. smaller grids and cheaper racing so you pays yer money yer takes yer choice, also ours are championships not series but don't expect to get a better deal anywhere as they don't exist.
Old 22 May 2009, 14:44 (Ref:2467098)   #5
MarkkuAlen86
Rookie

Wales
Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
If you think PBMW entries are dear you are in for a shock as they are offering the best value about at the moment as is their sister series. You could come and race with me in the Classic Touring Cars Group 1 or Pre-93's where we have a special class for PBMW cars, expect to pay a little more though but you will have the advantage of a sensible number of cars out there not packed grids of 30 plus with reserves which I feel can get a bit fraught and believe some other drivers may feel the same way talking to some of them but you cannot have it both ways, i.e. smaller grids and cheaper racing so you pays yer money yer takes yer choice, also ours are championships not series but don't expect to get a better deal anywhere as they don't exist.
Yeah, I'm interested in PBMW because it is so cost effective, although the grids are overcrowded from what I've seen. Not sure if I'd mind that or not.

Pre-93 looks great, how long has the championship been running? Do the grids look like they'll keep up the numbers?
Old 22 May 2009, 15:09 (Ref:2467110)   #6
Jimmy C
Rookie

United Kingdom
Southend, ESSEX
Jimmy C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark

If your looking for good value for money, close racing with a great atmosphere you'll really struggle to do better than PBMW or TTRS if you want a bit more poke.

We race with full grids and always do whatever we can to get all entries racing. If we have a list of reserves its simple we by another grid slot if the demands there, and everyones happy.

You wont find a better VFM entry fee than with either of the above

Full grids is a massive plus factor, buzz factor and fun factor, you are not parading around fishing for a race trying to find the other 6 cars, your always in amongst a race with someone or other.

Full grids means a full paddock and we sure know how to party! The club pays for a BBQ at every meeting and a few beers are consumed

PBMW is a championship not a series

Drop me an email jimmyc@pbmwc.co.uk if you want anymore info, or if you want a chat send me your number. Theres loads of info on the series websites so have a good read and maybe pop into the forum.

Cheers

Jimmy
Old 22 May 2009, 15:40 (Ref:2467133)   #7
juliann
Rookie

juliann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the thumbs up on our value Al.

Full grids eh, what is the world coming to....don't people know we're supposed to be in a recession and 'full grid entertainment' is outlawed.
Old 22 May 2009, 18:50 (Ref:2467239)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
There is no denying it Juliann, the grids are full and you have done well so credit where due but I thought our friend who started the thread was looking for better value than PBMW and I was merely pointed out he won't find it end of story as pricewise you guys have the best deal going, I was also trying to point out its not all about price though and despite early predictions and doubts our Pre-93 is holding up well also so it seems there is room for both of us after all.

I did a couple of races with DMN and if i am honest I found there to be too many cars on the grid and speaking personally I would rather run in a field of say 20 to 25 cars than 35 to 39 or whatever the maximum is even if I have to pay a bit more for the privalidge. I was also pointing out with CTCRC's Pre-93's if he wanted to race in a reasonable but smaller field he would be welcome and the whole experience would be less fraught and frantic (maybe its an age thing with me).

Mark I think this is the third year of Pre-93's and we are getting some nice grids of interesting good looking cars.
Old 22 May 2009, 19:39 (Ref:2467263)   #9
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like starting in 38th position.... makes it more fun (until the ruddy car breaks!)
Have you uploaded the vid to YouTube yet Al?

I'll concur though - PBMW appears to be excellent value, hats off to the organisers.

There are "Super Tourers" still running out there, spread far and wide in many different championships. A shame they can't all come together, but if they did, I'm sure that costs would soon escalate as competition become fierce.
Old 22 May 2009, 20:34 (Ref:2467297)   #10
Andrew Busby
Rookie

Andrew Busby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can only agree with comments already made; either PBMW or Pre-93 or TTRS make excellent vfm and good, close but fair racing. Any of those, to suit your aspirations / budget could not get better racing anywhere.
Old 23 May 2009, 06:58 (Ref:2467461)   #11
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are plenty of saloon car championships out there, some operating on a regional basis & some national. I am biased but I think that the CSCC Tin Tops and Future Classics series offer the best value for money going (30 min practice & 40 min races for one or two drivers, with a compulsory pit stop) all for entry fees varying from £245 at Anglesey to £285 at the MSV circuits. You could also look at LMA EuroSaloons.
Old 23 May 2009, 13:03 (Ref:2467575)   #12
andy robinson
Racer

United Kingdom
cramlington, northumberland
andy robinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think so far there are 7-8 super tourers running together with the lma @ donington on 6-7 june.
I will glad if I can still see them after a couple of laps & super glad if I see any of them in my rear view mirror (unless they are lapping me !)
Old 30 May 2009, 15:01 (Ref:2472206)   #13
Andrew Busby
Rookie

Andrew Busby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
There are plenty of saloon car championships out there, some operating on a regional basis & some national. I am biased but I think that the CSCC Tin Tops and Future Classics series offer the best value for money going (30 min practice & 40 min races for one or two drivers, with a compulsory pit stop) all for entry fees varying from £245 at Anglesey to £285 at the MSV circuits. You could also look at LMA EuroSaloons.
Yep; should have added CSCC Future Classics to my list. I think the format.....for the driver(s) is the best around.