Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 4 Sep 2015, 08:47 (Ref:3571297)   #426
Burp
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
Burp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the racing was excellent this year. Barber especially. But most races were worth watching. Texas stands out as pretty dull but can't think of any others
Old 4 Sep 2015, 11:12 (Ref:3571310)   #427
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL-MPXjQ3ms

Miller interviews Walker
Old 4 Sep 2015, 12:18 (Ref:3571323)   #428
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
From a purely racing point of view, I thought it was a good season, with excellent racing; much better than F1. The crisis though, is the same old combination of low viewing figures, low crowd attendance but this seems to be getting a little better, availability of race venues plus there is this very long off season.
TV figures rose in 2015. That's a positive

Fontana crowd was lower. Milwaukee, Pocono and Sonoma grew. What were the other so called crowd crisis?
Old 4 Sep 2015, 12:20 (Ref:3571324)   #429
David A Scott
Rookie

Canada
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
David A Scott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
TV figures rose in 2015. That's a positive

Fontana crowd was lower. Milwaukee, Pocono and Sonoma grew. What were the other so called crowd crisis?
Pocono? According to the track president attendance was down from last year.
Old 6 Sep 2015, 13:00 (Ref:3571844)   #430
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was basing the Pocono crowd increase from Robin Miller interview.

Track president is going to hold more weight for sure. Was this on racer?
Old 7 Sep 2015, 02:12 (Ref:3572042)   #431
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Negative things were the flyoffs of the cars at Indianapolis, Hinchcliffe injured and the demise of Justin Wilson.

Positive things were the rising star of Graham Rahal and the excellent return of JPM into the first-rate ranks.
Old 9 Sep 2015, 00:57 (Ref:3572596)   #432
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.ibj.com/articles/54452-ca...ign=2015-08-15

Could be a long winter for some.
Old 9 Sep 2015, 00:58 (Ref:3572597)   #433
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Scott View Post
Pocono? According to the track president attendance was down from last year.
As I recall the track said they were 50/50 on a future race at all.
Old 9 Sep 2015, 12:17 (Ref:3572691)   #434
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
As I recall the track said they were 50/50 on a future race at all.
Great stuff
Old 9 Sep 2015, 17:16 (Ref:3572739)   #435
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Wow, that was a depressing article. Thanks for posting though, interesting read.
Old 10 Sep 2015, 16:40 (Ref:3572953)   #436
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
They never quite gave the full details on this in Autosport but I always thought this was the reason for the lawsuit, Andretti Autosport withheld payments to Andretti Sports Marketing. The lawsuit,though has now been settled but the terms of the settlement have not been disclosed.
Old 25 Sep 2015, 21:29 (Ref:3577091)   #437
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Marshall Pruett has an important column out on the “11 Big Questions for IndyCar.” A teaser:

Quote:
2. Budget Limitations
The Hulman George family that once poured untold millions into the Indy Racing League is now acting as a fiscally responsible unit. IndyCar no longer serves as a dumping ground for the family's fortunes, and Hulman & Company CEO Mark Miles has been tasked with making every business they own - including IndyCar - a profitable entity.
(…)
At a time when IndyCar is starving for cubic dollars to fuel its return to prominence, Miles and his team are fighting just to make the sure the series has a slight cash surplus. Barring a sudden change of heart from the family, it's not entirely clear how this income problem gets solved.
Lots more good (and depressing) stuff in there.
Old 29 Sep 2015, 00:33 (Ref:3577857)   #438
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Marshall Pruett has an important column out on the “11 Big Questions for IndyCar.” A teaser:

Lots more good (and depressing) stuff in there.
There's certainly an element of cynicism.
Old 29 Sep 2015, 07:10 (Ref:3577942)   #439
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
thanks BJ interesting article.

This bit really struck a nerve with me:

"It's probably too late to pull the plug on aero kits for 2016, but it might be worth considering before 2017 arrives. If it's costing an obscene amount, isn't creating new fans, and isn't improving the quality of racing, how many additional seasons of running are needed to put an end to the experiment?"

Why why why does racing always go here?

The obsession with trying to run faster and faster as well?
Old 29 Sep 2015, 13:30 (Ref:3578014)   #440
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
thanks BJ interesting article.

This bit really struck a nerve with me:

"It's probably too late to pull the plug on aero kits for 2016, but it might be worth considering before 2017 arrives. If it's costing an obscene amount, isn't creating new fans, and isn't improving the quality of racing, how many additional seasons of running are needed to put an end to the experiment?"

Why why why does racing always go here?

The obsession with trying to run faster and faster as well?
I can't take credit for this TheMightyM posted this article.

I don't know if I completely agree with Pruett. There are always going to be issues when something new is introduced to motorsport and not enough time has been spent on testing and developing. This is initially what happened with the aero-kits. Just look at F1 and the issues Renault and now Honda are finding with their PUs.

However, in the case of IndyCar the issues with aero-kits had been pretty much sorted before the end of the season and now in the off season, there are three areas that can be further developed.

It was Chevrolet in particular who wanted to introduce aero-kits, so there was greater differentiation between the Chevy and Honda powered cars, so I don't see why more of the cost of aero-kits shouldn't be born by the engine manufacturers.

With regards to creating new fans, this was the first season with aero-kits, so it's too early to say. Next season is going to be far more telling and as for the quality of the racing, I personally thought last season was one of the best for a long time.
Old 3 Oct 2015, 04:38 (Ref:3578977)   #441
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
The point of aero-kits isn’t really to create new fans. Or at least not directly. By helping to visually distinguish between the Chevy and Honda-powered cars, you’re (in theory) increasing the ROI to the two engine manufacturers, who also happen to be major series supporters.

Does it also help the casual fan or potential fan by making the series easier to follow? Yes, at least in theory.
Old 5 Oct 2015, 17:36 (Ref:3579770)   #442
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
An interesting article on ''IndyCar's secret manufacturer war''.

http://plus.autosport.com/premium/fe...580.1443053678
Old 5 Oct 2015, 23:25 (Ref:3579855)   #443
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Does it also help the casual fan or potential fan by making the series easier to follow? Yes, at least in theory.
In theory, you say...

I think everyone I know who's seen my photos or happened by while I was watching a race on TV (which is, admittedly, a small sample size) hasn't noticed even slightly that they are Chevys and Hondas. The only thing that's gotten any notice is the Honda road course (EDIT - "front") wing, because, well, you know why.

Otherwise - I don't really buy that any casual fan will notice much difference between the different body kits, at all.

Last edited by rwintle; 5 Oct 2015 at 23:27. Reason: Which wing is which?
Old 6 Oct 2015, 00:03 (Ref:3579862)   #444
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I don't think anyone is bedazzled by the kits. They are still fairly ugly cars.

But Indycar did put emphasis on the body kits in respect to their marketing and if you just dump them for financial reasons you lose a little bit of prestige and you send a little bit of a signal to industry that the robustness of the series just isn't there.

I like retaining the kits because variety separates series of the first rank from the mickey-mouse junior single seater series. It's series of the first rank that have a palpable diversity, whether that's F1 or sportscars.
Old 6 Oct 2015, 21:31 (Ref:3580090)   #445
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We are talking about open wheel cars, right? Of course casuals won't be able to tell the difference between Hondas and Chevys. Same can be applied to F1. The only difference there is that people know the red cars are Ferraris, the silver cars are Mercedes, and the yellow dot with a bull is a Red Bull.

But, even casuals will know that there are manufacturers in the series running different cars, even if they look the same.

One last thing. As someone who doesn't watch F1 anymore, even I have a hard time figuring out which car is which.
Old 6 Oct 2015, 22:01 (Ref:3580092)   #446
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
We are talking about open wheel cars, right? Of course casuals won't be able to tell the difference between Hondas and Chevys. Same can be applied to F1. The only difference there is that people know the red cars are Ferraris, the silver cars are Mercedes, and the yellow dot with a bull is a Red Bull.

But, even casuals will know that there are manufacturers in the series running different cars, even if they look the same.

One last thing. As someone who doesn't watch F1 anymore, even I have a hard time figuring out which car is which.
With the restrictions that have been imposed on F1, in order to keep costs down, F1 has pretty much become a spec series. The only real difference, in this respect between Indy and F1, is each team can build there own chassis.

Even in the CART era, cars and engines were subject to a formula and visually, the Lolas, Reynards and Swifts looked similar, though the Reynards did have a rather distinctive nose.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 6 Oct 2015 at 22:06.
Old 8 Dec 2015, 15:49 (Ref:3596436)   #447
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I don't think anyone is bedazzled by the kits. They are still fairly ugly cars.

But Indycar did put emphasis on the body kits in respect to their marketing and if you just dump them for financial reasons you lose a little bit of prestige and you send a little bit of a signal to industry that the robustness of the series just isn't there.

I like retaining the kits because variety separates series of the first rank from the mickey-mouse junior single seater series. It's series of the first rank that have a palpable diversity, whether that's F1 or sportscars.
I think that says enough about the marketing intelligence of indycar. You spend money on marketing because you expect that this will attract more customers. Even if you can reach the people (which is understandably hard for indycar), i just don't see how anyone would 'buy' into the aero package as something causing them to now start watching indycar. Simply said, i don't see how this is going to attract any additional customers.

I think that engineering and chassis/engine diversity can certainly be a strong point of indycar and could be used to market indycar. But then it actually has to be real diversity and engineering prowess, and not an artificial small thing like the aero package.

To me if i wanted to market the serie i would look at a combination of:
1. Indy & speed (especially compared to nascar). I would seriously consider a campaign around indy saying 'who dares', calling out nascar drivers to come over and do the double. Make it stick out that 330mph is something that is special and is not for everyone. Make the drivers the heroes. But also make this much more visible in you tv broadcast. I really don't think that the speed of indycar on ovals gets accros on tv well.
2. Diversity in circuits & close racing/everyone can win: Airport track, street circuits, traditional road courses, small ovals, big ovals and superspeedways. If you can master that diversity in tracks you are a great driver. And combine that with 9 winners in '15 and like 18 different podium finishers.
Old 17 Dec 2015, 00:15 (Ref:3598255)   #448
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
With the restrictions that have been imposed on F1, in order to keep costs down, F1 has pretty much become a spec series. The only real difference, in this respect between Indy and F1, is each team can build there own chassis.

Even in the CART era, cars and engines were subject to a formula and visually, the Lolas, Reynards and Swifts looked similar, though the Reynards did have a rather distinctive nose.
Neither chassis nor engine are spec parts in F1. Just because the power units use V6 turbocharged ICE, they're far from spec because there are things other than cylinders and pistons involved. I wish I could find the schematic that was comparing all four engines on thejudge13 blog, highlighting the major differences. The best cars will have the chassis and engine parts tightly coupled together, even though the engines are in theory easily transferable between cars. Of course, F1 is significantly more restrictive than WEC which has the rule "you can race whatever you want".
Old 18 Dec 2015, 00:31 (Ref:3598490)   #449
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
Of course, F1 is significantly more restrictive than WEC which has the rule "you can race whatever you want".
"... within these several limits and enforcements imposed here"...

Well even so it (LMP1) sure has more technical freedom than anything else around.
Old 18 Dec 2015, 03:57 (Ref:3598530)   #450
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
Neither chassis nor engine are spec parts in F1. Just because the power units use V6 turbocharged ICE, they're far from spec because there are things other than cylinders and pistons involved. I wish I could find the schematic that was comparing all four engines on thejudge13 blog, highlighting the major differences. The best cars will have the chassis and engine parts tightly coupled together, even though the engines are in theory easily transferable between cars. Of course, F1 is significantly more restrictive than WEC which has the rule "you can race whatever you want".
I didn't say they were spec parts, I said F1 has pretty much become a spec series because the rules governing design are now so rigid, in order to keep costs down. There's very little that distinguishes one car from the other, apart from the livery and the way the rules for the car's nose have been interpreted. As for the engines, no they are not as specy as the previous V8 that was used, then again we're talking about both recovery technology and turbos being used and there will be a difference as to how the various engine manufacturers have incorporated both into the engine's design.

Having said that, there were major differences between the Chevy and Honda engines when the DW12 was launched. Chevy used a twin turbo while Honda a single turbo. Honda are now using a twin turbo engine, though it's not quite there compared to Chevy's, which would suggest a difference in the two designs.