Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 19 Sep 2007, 15:24 (Ref:2018019)   #26
Ntrprise
Rookie

Ntrprise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found it most helpful to almost give a running commentry to the instrucotr. Every 15-20 seconds at LEAST... make a point of saying "the car behind is about 20 metres back"..... "the car behind is a bit closer to us"... "the car ahead seems to be slower than us".

This will simply prove that you are aware of everything that is happening around you... That is what most of being safe on the track is all about.

Also - rent-a-drives... a good way to be introduced to a leage.... but is expensive. You might want to consider buying a 750 Championship car... I am sure there will be plenty of other suggestions as well
Old 29 Sep 2007, 18:48 (Ref:2025919)   #27
7UpJordan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Yorkshire, UK
7UpJordan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, the ARDS test is on Monday, with a 1-2-1 tuition course preceeding it. I've made a checklist of things that I need to take with me and just wanted to see if there was anything you feel might be needed;

The Go Racing Pack with all contents present including the application form with sections 1, 2 and the Medical report completed and signed by my doctor.

Shoes with a thin sole allowing for greater pedal control.

Driving Licence or Passport (I'm gonna take both) as proof of identity.

Letter confirming Tuition and ARDS test from the circuit.

A fully alert and focussed state of mind.

Also does anyone know anywhere I can look up sample ARDS test questions so I can get a feel for what to expect and how to answer the questions? Also briefly on the flags sections, I noticed the quatered green and yellow flag to signify pace car periods isn't in the book but on the DVD. Should I also be aware of the 2 flags in the book that are only used in Karting? (the black/yellow batenberg flag to signal "slow down and don't overtake" and the green flag with the yellow "V" on it to signal "false start"?)
Old 29 Sep 2007, 19:29 (Ref:2025947)   #28
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The karting flags did not come up in my test [but knew them incase] and our instructor guy said the DVD was out of date with the other flag!! You don't have to have your medical done in advance tho, I didn't and it was all fine.
Old 29 Sep 2007, 19:39 (Ref:2025955)   #29
7UpJordan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Yorkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
You don't have to have your medical done in advance tho, I didn't and it was all fine.
Looks like another thing the DVD is out of date on. :P

I've had my medical done anyway.
Old 30 Sep 2007, 20:27 (Ref:2027294)   #30
al_sami
Racer

Bahrain
London
al_sami is a back marker
I hope you have memorised your flags and know them inside out. Rest is common sense.

Make sure you get 3 or 4 full laps with out any prompting or pulling at the wheel by the instructor so you can concentrate on the job in hand. Remember be consistent, smooth and be calm, if you are nervous you will make mistakes.

Good luck
Old 1 Oct 2007, 14:28 (Ref:2027929)   #31
7UpJordan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Yorkshire, UK
I did it!!! I got 100% on my theory and did a good job during the driving. The car was quite a handful, a souped up Mini Cooper but after the first run and a quick break, I got back in the car and handled it smoothly.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 18:06 (Ref:2028154)   #32
Col_Rugby
Pancake Botherer
Racer

England
Rugby
Col_Rugby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congratulations.
I look forward to watching you go past next season & i hope not pushing you out or having time for a chat on the bank.
Well done & good look in your racing career

Col
Old 2 Oct 2007, 08:58 (Ref:2028661)   #33
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7UpJordan
I did it!!! I got 100% on my theory and did a good job during the driving. The car was quite a handful, a souped up Mini Cooper but after the first run and a quick break, I got back in the car and handled it smoothly.

So was it worth all that worry,Well done and dont fotget to take you,r time and get used to having other cars around who all want to be infront! Look forward to seeing you out there sometime.
Old 8 Oct 2007, 21:51 (Ref:2035355)   #34
7UpJordan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Yorkshire, UK
I've sent off my application to get my licence, I've also been given the name of a man who owns a Formula Ford team by the instructors at Croft. They also suggested I go test with a few FF teams during the winter break and discuss rent drive opportunities.

Also most importantly I need to sort out some racewear. The instructors at Croft told me that I could get free access to some kind of Motor Racing Convention at the NEC in January and I can go try on helmets, overalls etc and haggle prices as well. Has anyone been to this show before?

Also at the same time does anyone know where I can get a crash helmet painted? Will they be at this show as well?

Thanks again
Old 9 Oct 2007, 07:44 (Ref:2035584)   #35
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would presume they are referring to the Autosport show which is held at the NEC in Jan but not sure about the free access bit....
Old 13 Oct 2007, 20:51 (Ref:2039427)   #36
7UpJordan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Yorkshire, UK
I have decided the next best course of action would be some further driver training. My dad suggested a school called "Jim Russell driving school" but we can't find anything on the Donnington website about it. Also with my starter pack there's a Eugene O'Brien driver development leaflet but the website's being re-constructed. Does anyone know of any driver schools where you can do more training?
Old 14 Oct 2007, 00:03 (Ref:2039546)   #37
peenuts
Rookie

France
peenuts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe mallory park do one don't quote me. but if you ring the circuit up they will be more than help full as i did a half day training session , a couple of years ago before my ards, and was told they do training school
number is 01455 842931/2/3