Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 May 2011, 14:58 (Ref:2877517)   #1
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
2012 Privateer LMP1 Options

Quote:
This thread would be better served as a look at actual cars we could see next year.

For example I am wondering what direction Pescarolo will take after this transition season. Possibly with the combined might of Oak could they attract a manufacturer? Or will they go back to the lab and design a new evolution with a new engine?
Taking my lead from the above post, what kind of machinary will privateers line-up with in 2012?

Speculation part one, the Brundles will drive a Zytek-Hybrid backed by a manufactuer.
Old 9 May 2011, 15:04 (Ref:2877520)   #2
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Strakka Racing has expressed interest to step up to LMP1. Perhaps they can convert their current car to the LMP1 spec (so from ARX-01d to ARX-01e). Alternatively they can go back to a Zytek.

I would like to see Oreca build the new LMP1 coupe they had in planning. However, I think that they will stick to racing a Peugeot.

Finally, we will see some AMR-One cars in the hand of privateers (including Jota) next year, iff Prodrive can solve the engine issues
Old 9 May 2011, 15:07 (Ref:2877523)   #3
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Relating to Brundles options!!!!!! Is there any clue if is NISSAN?? Or Honda???

Aren´t honda testing, with a modified NSX, a hybrid solution??? Could Strakka go to P1 with hybrid!!!

It would be nice if Peugeot rent a diesel engine in the Oreca Coupé
Old 9 May 2011, 15:19 (Ref:2877531)   #4
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice one JAG. It's not privateer, but we also have the rumoured but apparently green-lit entry of a new manufacturer to LMP1 next season.
Old 9 May 2011, 15:42 (Ref:2877541)   #5
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Strakka Racing has expressed interest to step up to LMP1. Perhaps they can convert their current car to the LMP1 spec (so from ARX-01d to ARX-01e). Alternatively they can go back to a Zytek.

I would like to see Oreca build the new LMP1 coupe they had in planning. However, I think that they will stick to racing a Peugeot.

Finally, we will see some AMR-One cars in the hand of privateers (including Jota) next year, iff Prodrive can solve the engine issues
With HPD/Wirth entering the P1 market, and who knows if the coupe will yet be produced, I'd like to see ORECA become a two car Peugeot customer, while developing their P2/LMPC business.

OAK seem pretty ambitious and not short of a Euro or two, so it would help them to link up with another team, like Pescarolo.

With Zytek and Lola also major players I'm not sure anyone else is needed, I'd sooner Audi make customer cars available.
Old 9 May 2011, 16:14 (Ref:2877559)   #6
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
I'd sooner Audi make customer cars available.
Audi has bad experience with customers running their diesel car. There are very few teams that have the budget/skills to run a complex diesel powered LMP1 car.
Old 9 May 2011, 16:20 (Ref:2877561)   #7
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Audi has bad experience with customers running their diesel car. There are very few teams that have the budget/skills to run a complex diesel powered LMP1 car.

Pescarolo could do it!!!

A green&blue R 18... uauuuuuuuuu!!!!
Old 9 May 2011, 16:58 (Ref:2877577)   #8
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
The last time that Henri ran a factory diesel car, he went bankrupt.
Old 9 May 2011, 17:11 (Ref:2877581)   #9
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Taking my lead from the above post, what kind of machinary will privateers line-up with in 2012?

Speculation part one, the Brundles will drive a Zytek-Hybrid backed by a manufactuer.
Interesting, because I heard they would be driving an LMP2 next year, or even late 2011 in the ILMC for a team that is a familiar sight in sports car racing, but a team that will be to Le Mans Prototypes and ACO racing in general.
Old 9 May 2011, 17:25 (Ref:2877586)   #10
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Does Martin Brundle still have commercial links with Toyota?
Old 9 May 2011, 17:28 (Ref:2877589)   #11
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Keeping in mind that it appears as though the market for LMP1 cars from 2012 and on is restricted to ILMC and the ALMS. Pretty small market, in all probability you are mostly going to see Lolas, and whatever people build for themselves (Oreca...).
Old 9 May 2011, 18:00 (Ref:2877622)   #12
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The last time that Henri ran a factory diesel car, he went bankrupt.
that was due to a very bad choice of business partner rather than the expense of the car itself
Old 9 May 2011, 18:04 (Ref:2877628)   #13
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Does Lola need to build a new model for LMP1 next year?
Old 9 May 2011, 20:29 (Ref:2877725)   #14
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I think they must... but that is just my opinion.

They need to elevate their game... to continue to have costumer´s.
Old 9 May 2011, 21:44 (Ref:2877782)   #15
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Interesting, because I heard they would be driving an LMP2 next year, or even late 2011 in the ILMC for a team that is a familiar sight in sports car racing, but a team that will be to Le Mans Prototypes and ACO racing in general.
Autosport said Brundle Snr was in contention for a P2 seat with United Autosports later this year, then the Greaves Zytek deal sprung up for Brundle Jnr, and RLM speculated about both driving the yet to be announced, manufactuer backed, Zytek Hybrid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
They'll have to see how the Rebellion car fairs first, they've only just added a significant aero update, and have said they are looking into KERS, how they match up against Highcroft will tell all.

Last edited by JAG; 9 May 2011 at 21:53.
Old 9 May 2011, 22:03 (Ref:2877793)   #16
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Keeping in mind that it appears as though the market for LMP1 cars from 2012 and on is restricted to ILMC and the ALMS. Pretty small market, in all probability you are mostly going to see Lolas, and whatever people build for themselves (Oreca...).
Orecas and Lolas are probably going to have a stranglehold on the market along with Zytek perhaps now with their hybrid package. I believe I read some time back that Oreca has a North American distribution deal with Carl Haas. Is that true? Or is that only for FLM parts? I think having a solid distribution partner could help Oreca sell some cars in the US for ALMS duty, but it appears that is more likely to happen in LMP2 than LMP1. We'll see. The Oreca 01 seemed pretty racy back in 2009 (which I realize was a long time ago) and I'm sure Oreca has a good design for the Oreca 02 coupe if it ever happens. I know Oreca is trying to do more business in the US. I believe they are considering doing an aero package for the IRL car of tomorrow. I wonder if there is any possibility that OAK/Pescarolo could team up with Oreca to develop the Oreca 02.

The Wirth/HPD coupe is an interesting concept. I would think that HPD would set up one or two semi-factory efforts in order to try to get good results so they may sell the car to other teams. Strakka and Highcroft are good bets. I'm not sure if there is enough of a market for it though and the ARX-01 still seems to have some life in it within the petrol class at the very least. The ARX-01e, at least with the HPD engine, is probably still the best option for a privateer team.
Old 9 May 2011, 22:11 (Ref:2877797)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
At Ricard Strakka were saying P1 was considered this season but they deceided to gain more experience, and go for the P2 championship.

I assume RML will stay in P2, Highcrofts future is up in the air, so does Strakka have the funding and desire to become a two car team?

Although a Pescarolo/OAK link-up seems most logical, I'd really like them to go with HPD.

Last edited by JAG; 9 May 2011 at 22:17.
Old 9 May 2011, 22:30 (Ref:2877804)   #18
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Although a Pescarolo/OAK link-up seems most logical, I'd really like them to go with HPD.
Oak Racing seems to have the intention to become a manufacturer as they have developed quite some updates for the Pescarolo car on their own (see http://www.racecar-engineering.com/cars/pescarolo-01/).
Old 9 May 2011, 22:31 (Ref:2877805)   #19
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It may be more of a question of where Strakka wants to race moreso than what they want to race. Right now they are LMS only, but we don't know yet if there will even be a LMP1 class in the LMS next year. They may have to move up to the ILMC if they want to race in LMP1 and that may be out of their budget unless HPD provides a budget. I believe Strakka did say last year that they have a desire to race in the US, but I don't know what to make of that statement.

Aside from the LMS/ILMC differences, is it safe to say that running an ARX-01e in LMP1 would cost about the same as running the LMP2 ARX-01c last year?
Old 9 May 2011, 22:38 (Ref:2877807)   #20
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Oak Racing seems to have the intention to become a manufacturer as they have developed quite some updates for the Pescarolo car on their own .
I apologize if this is a silly question, but is it harder for someone like OAK/Pescarolo (or anyone else for that matter) to modify a coupe chassis rather than an open-top chassis like a Courage LC70 or C60?

I don't know if OAK and Pescarolo are interested in going down the coupe route. It would probably add to the cost and I'm not sure if they could easily make a cost-capped LMP2 version out of the same car. Perhaps it would just make more sense to team up with Oreca to build a coupe if that is the desired format?

EDIT: Another question is if the proposed Wirth coupe is a total in-house design or if it is based on another existing customer chassis like the ARX-01?
Old 9 May 2011, 23:43 (Ref:2877824)   #21
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
It may be more of a question of where Strakka wants to race moreso than what they want to race. Right now they are LMS only, but we don't know yet if there will even be a LMP1 class in the LMS next year. They may have to move up to the ILMC if they want to race in LMP1 and that may be out of their budget unless HPD provides a budget. I believe Strakka did say last year that they have a desire to race in the US, but I don't know what to make of that statement.

Aside from the LMS/ILMC differences, is it safe to say that running an ARX-01e in LMP1 would cost about the same as running the LMP2 ARX-01c last year?
In Autosport they said the 2012 intention was ILMC in P1, and hoped to continue with HPD, that was before the 2011 P1 had been revealed.
Old 11 May 2011, 08:45 (Ref:2878598)   #22
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i just hope that like in 2010 peugeot and also audi will give a "not fully updated" car to a trusted private team so they'll keep on running in LMS also if unofficialy.
Old 11 May 2011, 08:54 (Ref:2878606)   #23
AGD
Veteran

LMP1s may no longer be allowed in the LMS after this year. We'll see. It would be nice to see Audi and Peugeot supply privateer teams, although I'm not sure how many have the resources to run an Audi or Peugeot properly. Oreca isn't some amateur hour organization.
Old 11 May 2011, 16:17 (Ref:2878802)   #24
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
If LMP1 (at least in it's current form) won't features as the lead class in the LMS, that leaves the ALMS, which unless Audi of America decided to foot their share of the bill or a really rich team owner steps up, we likely won't see Audi R18s in the ALMS soon, and we definenly won't see Peugeot 908s in the ALMS either outside of Sebring and PLM, as Peugeot doesn't even sell cars in North America and haven't for nearly 20 years.
Old 11 May 2011, 20:04 (Ref:2878937)   #25
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
i just hope that like in 2010 peugeot and also audi will give a "not fully updated" car to a trusted private team so they'll keep on running in LMS also if unofficialy.
We've already seen when a team like ORECA get their hands on a 908 they're capable of competing against factories, there's little point dominating a handful of privateers in the LMS.

Factor in Rebellion, Pescarolo and Strakka likely going full-time ILMC, the LMS would probably be better served with P2 and Speed cars heading up the LMP classes.

Peter and the LMS has made it clear they aren't interested in fans or putting on a show, so it's more important to have full grids, with equally matched cars, than a handfull of P1's.

Last edited by JAG; 11 May 2011 at 20:16.