Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Apr 2014, 13:55 (Ref:3389001)   #76
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Erebus gets some energy...
Three interviews with Betty and one with Lee and I didn't hear a "thanks to Tapout for coming on board" or any mention of their new sponsor...
Old 5 Apr 2014, 14:17 (Ref:3389009)   #77
sweetchuk
Racer

Australia
sweetchuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
Three interviews with Betty and one with Lee and I didn't hear a "thanks to Tapout for coming on board" or any mention of their new sponsor...
I agree - it is never really a good time to forget the support of sponsors, especially in these apparently tough times of hard-to-come-by motorsport sponsors, however I think they can be forgiven a little bit in this instance, due to the euphoria of this, their first win in the series.

I do not think Tapout would be complaining either - their first appearance on the nose of Lee's Merc, and they would have received far, far more exposure in their first outing with Erebus than anyone would've realistically expected.

I'm sure the unintentional oversight was not received as a sleight by Tapout or any other sponsor given the occasion, and will be well & truly redressed in any subsequent podium finish or result.
Old 5 Apr 2014, 22:34 (Ref:3389097)   #78
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchuk View Post
I agree - it is never really a good time to forget the support of sponsors, especially in these apparently tough times of hard-to-come-by motorsport sponsors, however I think they can be forgiven a little bit in this instance, due to the euphoria of this, their first win in the series.

I do not think Tapout would be complaining either - their first appearance on the nose of Lee's Merc, and they would have received far, far more exposure in their first outing with Erebus than anyone would've realistically expected.

I'm sure the unintentional oversight was not received as a sleight by Tapout or any other sponsor given the occasion, and will be well & truly redressed in any subsequent podium finish or result.
Is the TapOut deal for much more than a couple of boxes of energy drink per race weekend?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 5 Apr 2014, 22:54 (Ref:3389100)   #79
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lucky to be $50K in it.
Old 5 Apr 2014, 23:00 (Ref:3389101)   #80
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I’ve lost $40m and even taken $50 from a kid’
Old 5 Apr 2014, 23:15 (Ref:3389104)   #81
gts300
Racer

Australia
gts300 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
The arrogance in the comments there belies belief.

Not only tall poppy knockers, but the anti-everything brigade chiming in. We don't need such publicity.
Old 5 Apr 2014, 23:15 (Ref:3389105)   #82
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
So.. will Erebus be around next year?
Old 6 Apr 2014, 00:13 (Ref:3389114)   #83
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
$30m to $40m, even with the HWA deal how the hell do you do that?

If you were going to make an investment like this, you would ALWAYS borrow against it so you can book the interest as a tax deduction.

Can she really be telling the truth?
Old 6 Apr 2014, 00:34 (Ref:3389116)   #84
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A lot of the signage on the cars is purely contra-deals. Actros, Snap-On, and a few others.

Sure, it makes the running costs that little bit cheaper, but it's not what you'd call income.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 00:46 (Ref:3389118)   #85
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchuk View Post

While I'm sure Tapout is pleased to be on the hood of the winning car and I agree that they probably weren't offended by the lack of a mention, it seems like something that is actually more important for Erebus than it is for Tapout.

For a team that needs sponsorship it seems like they should be doing all they can to show potential sponsors that they will do their best give sponsors some visibility. Just the gesture would have been good for them I think.

I also can't help but feel like it would be better for the team if they would stop talking to Betty in the garage since all she can ever talk about is how speechless and/or proud she is. Perhaps someone else there could do a better job both promoting sponsors and actually telling us something worth hearing. As it is, it feels more like "how does Betty feel today?" rather than "what's going on at the Erebus racing team?"

Then again maybe I'm just being a grouch. I'm not meaning to be negative towards the Erebus guys because I like both of the drivers and the team, and Mercedes is my second favorite manufacturer on the grid. I want them to do well, but hearing from Betty about how excited she is or that she stopped crocheting near the end of the race or whatever is probably the least exciting thing I can think of to hear about from the Erebus garage, yet it seems to be what they focus on.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 01:33 (Ref:3389123)   #86
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post

I also can't help but feel like it would be better for the team if they would stop talking to Betty in the garage since all she can ever talk about is how speechless and/or proud she is. Perhaps someone else there could do a better job both promoting sponsors and actually telling us something worth hearing. As it is, it feels more like "how does Betty feel today?" rather than "what's going on at the Erebus racing team?"

Then again maybe I'm just being a grouch.
Nope, don't think you are at all.
Well and truly over the Betty show.
Time to move on I feel.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 05:46 (Ref:3389160)   #87
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
from Betty

GOOD AFTERNOON CREATION

well , funny story in the telegraph today , quite a different spin on the story that i thought was going out.

not that it was wrong , but it makes the situation sound a little dramatic.

What it should of explained , was that , because i spent a lot of money on the development of 2 special cars, engine and team, and have a team that , have proven themselves, i find it hard to understand , why sponsors are hard to find for this sport.

As i have said , time and time again , this is a business and a business from my schooling should make money , on its own.
the story was meant to , tell people that we are serious, v8 supercars, not a hobby of a girl looking for something to do , we are here to stay , we already have amazing sponsors, but we need major sponsors.

so don't worry its all a bit dramatic , and we are here , smiling and looking forward to racing in 2014 and beyond.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 08:08 (Ref:3389192)   #88
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
from Betty

GOOD AFTERNOON CREATION

well , funny story in the telegraph today , quite a different spin on the story that i thought was going out.

What it should of explained , was that , because i spent a lot of money on the development of 2 special cars, engine and team, and have a team that , have proven themselves, i find it hard to understand , why sponsors are hard to find for this sport.

As i have said , time and time again , this is a business and a business from my schooling should make money , on its own.
the story was meant to , tell people that we are serious, v8 supercars, not a hobby of a girl looking for something to do , we are here to stay , we already have amazing sponsors, but we need major sponsors.

so don't worry its all a bit dramatic , and we are here , smiling and looking forward to racing in 2014 and beyond.
Looks like Mr Phelps didnt get it wrong...
Old 6 Apr 2014, 09:28 (Ref:3389219)   #89
sweetchuk
Racer

Australia
sweetchuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Last owner driver to do any good after all was Mr Seton...
I think in terms of resources & funding, together with team size and ownership, it'd be hard to go past Steve Ellery's single car effort back in the early to mid 2000's as Steve Ellery Racing.
The results they got, particularly at Bathurst, totally belied their size, budget and stature and made a good many multi-car, mega budgeted manufacturer teams of the era take notice.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 00:10 (Ref:3389561)   #90
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
from Betty

GOOD AFTERNOON CREATION

I wonder what spin she was expecting with those quotes? Depends what part of the interview weren't published.

But that story - if that's the truth and she's not denying it - it doesn't reflect well on her.

I can see with the V8 and GT teams how you would spend $40m, but to spend ALL your money seems silly.

She can go on about how she doesn't need fancy this or fancy that - she lives in some very nice property and drives very expensive cars. I don't begrudge her that at all - but to then turn around and say how she doesn't need 'all the trappings' does jar a little bit.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 02:13 (Ref:3389587)   #91
T-star
Racer

T-star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Betty is either telling fibs or she is a terrible business person.

Stoked Erebus got a win, but i'm over her stories and carry on.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 06:26 (Ref:3389611)   #92
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am really enjoying Bettys involvement in V8s and was stoked to see Erebus get their first win (also glad it was Lee and not Will), but I'm thinking a lot of what she says in the moment is not very accurate (or of interest, she spends a lot of time pointing out she is speechless).
So I can imagine it would be very easy to end up with a misguided article taken from a bunch of random quotes
Old 7 Apr 2014, 06:40 (Ref:3389615)   #93
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
I can see with the V8 and GT teams how you would spend $40m, but to spend ALL your money seems silly.
All depends on the promises made on the commercial side, that sponsors were only a hair's breath away... or something

And that is really the issue here... none of the Erebus programs seem to have been funded from sponsor partners.. instead, the private funds seem to be keeping the GT & V8SC dreams alive.

A large issue in terms of spend is arguably the acceleration of the program with HWA/AMG, and the expense of using their technology & developed components.

If Mr Stone had more than 109 days to build 2 cars (not 3), with aero manufactured locally, with engines developed at SBRE modeled on the experience with Ford engines... they might have saved several million dollars... and not looked like tail end charlies all of 2013...

If/but/could/should... didnt...

It will be a huge ask for a commercial partner to rock up and supply upwards of $5m for the balance of the season. Even if the cars are competitive.. there seem to be loads of smaller and/or sweetheart deals soaking up the available space...

... and then you have the fun of every time the team is talked about, its Erebus... not sponsor X or sponsor Y....

Old 7 Apr 2014, 09:23 (Ref:3389664)   #94
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The $40m smile...

Old 9 Apr 2014, 07:20 (Ref:3390424)   #95
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-star View Post
Betty is either telling fibs or she is a terrible business person.
Judging by the intelligence of her comments each time she is interviewed in pit lane, I'd say the latter.

You're not the only one who's over her and thinks air time on her is wasted.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 00:49 (Ref:3390938)   #96
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Betty. I think she brings a bit of character to a series that is in danger of becoming a little vanilla.
That said, for the life of me I can’t work out why she continues with the “it’s a business” line.
If is indeed a genuine attempt to get into the “business” of motorsport, then you’ve got to say she’s made a litany of decisions that either show she’s economically and strategically inept or she’s significantly and woefully underestimated the industry.
As I said, I don’t get the “it’s a business” line, other than perhaps she’s afraid that people will view her as somehow less passionate, committed or serious about the sport if she’s seen to be doing it for anything less than “business” reasons.
Personally, I think the opposite is true, if you’re making those sorts of decisions and incurring those sorts of costs for the love of the sport, that to me is commitment, passion and seriousness that surpasses doing it for “business” reasons and certainly justify decisions that appear t be unique to Erebus....
Old 11 Apr 2014, 03:07 (Ref:3390953)   #97
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reread her words, it is not about her involvement and her business but rather that SC is based on the premise that racing in the series is a bottom line oriented business and as such should have the expertise to attract sponsors more than it does. She was talking in the totality of everyone and everything in the SC industry.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 05:50 (Ref:3390969)   #98
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
A large issue in terms of spend is arguably the acceleration of the program with HWA/AMG, and the expense of using their technology & developed components.

If Mr Stone had more than 109 days to build 2 cars (not 3), with aero manufactured locally, with engines developed at SBRE modeled on the experience with Ford engines... they might have saved several million dollars... and not looked like tail end charlies all of 2013...
GRM/Polestar/Volvo have shown it can be done properly for less money than Nissan or Erebus. And in a timeframe somewhere in between those. Although they built 2 new chassis for the Volvos, GRM at least had a years experience with COTF machinery.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 07:11 (Ref:3390979)   #99
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Reread her words, it is not about her involvement and her business but rather that SC is based on the premise that racing in the series is a bottom line oriented business and as such should have the expertise to attract sponsors more than it does. She was talking in the totality of everyone and everything in the SC industry.
Her words

What it should of explained , was that , because i spent alot of money on the development of 2 special cars, engine and team, and have a team that , have proven themselves, i find it hard to understand , why sponsors are hard to find for this sport.

Previously
Erebus Motorsport is a business like any other and like any other we need to make money to run the team

And
this is a business and it runs on its own , i did the set up and now they have to find sponsors to pay the way.

Reread..... I might be missing your point. When she says "Erebus Motorsport is a business" or talks specifically about what the team has achieved, she's actually talking about the totality of the series?
Old 11 Apr 2014, 07:20 (Ref:3390984)   #100
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
And don't get me wrong, I think the effort and passion she's put in is awesome..... It's just not a "business" in a classic ROI kind of way.