Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Jul 2011, 18:55 (Ref:2928215)   #1
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
The Oddball-GT-Thread

It seems to me like there have been quite a few rather unconventional GT-cars popping up across Europe lately, and I think this might be an intertesting new trend. Whereas the mid-noughties were generally marked by a certain conformity as far as the choice of cars was concerned, there is a great number of one/off GTs semi-prototypes nowadays, quite similar to the way things were e.g. in Brit GT in the late 90s.

As of now most of these cars seem to be restricted to 2nd tier championships like Britcar or Dutch Supercar, but at least the new Chevron has made it into the British GT-championship this year and I am wondering if more such cars will eventually make it into the really important series.

And then, the question is, of course, if these cars are even desirable for the various series and spectators - after all not everybody likes the idea of top tire GT-Series becoming something of a kit-car meeting.

Here are some pictures of the cars I am thinking about:

Sunred SRX (IntL GT-Open, IberGT)

Praga R4S (Dutch Supercar)

Aquila CR1 (Britcar, Dutch Supercar)

Mosler Super GT600 (Britcar, Dutch Supercar)

Chevron GR8 (British GT, GT-Cup)
Old 18 Jul 2011, 20:38 (Ref:2928252)   #2
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The Shiden from Gt300
Old 18 Jul 2011, 20:46 (Ref:2928256)   #3
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In fairness, that's not really a GT car but a Daytona Prototurtle.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 21:13 (Ref:2928274)   #4
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Then there are the Saker GT TDI, Brokernet Silver Sting and Artega.

And for that matter the new Panoz!

All part of a fine tradition from those who don't always want to conform to the norm - More power to them I say!
Old 18 Jul 2011, 21:21 (Ref:2928276)   #5
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post

All part of a fine tradition from those who don't always want to conform to the norm - More power to them I say!
...and it's always fabulous to see them trickle down in to Britcar a couple of seasons later, and blow out spectacularly in the early stages of the 24 hours
Old 18 Jul 2011, 21:35 (Ref:2928283)   #6
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post

The Artega doesn't quite count, I think, for it is in the first place still a roadcar project rather than a mere track/race car.

And before someone asks why I've included the Mosler, then: The new Moslers for the 'open' series are tubeframers, which puts them pretty much in the same league as the Aquila and (I think) the Praga.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 00:53 (Ref:2928344)   #7
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Does anybody else see a resemblance to the Toyota GT1 in the Aquila?
Old 19 Jul 2011, 01:26 (Ref:2928351)   #8
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Duff_44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about the SSZ Stradale?

Old 19 Jul 2011, 02:10 (Ref:2928360)   #9
Cuttlefish
Racer

United States
Seattle, WA
Cuttlefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Does anybody else see a resemblance to the Toyota GT1 in the Aquila?
Yeah, definitely some design queues from the Toyota, and perhaps the Stealth B6 as well.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 04:35 (Ref:2928381)   #10
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Japanese GT car "Vemac" by R&D sport

Road going version
http://www.vemaccars.com/index.html
Racing version
http://www.rdsport.net/2011/vemac/index.html
Vemac RD408/458R: Mugen MF408/458S
Vemac RD350R: Zytek ZK348
Vemac RD320R: Honda C32B/ Porsche M97/77
Old 19 Jul 2011, 06:22 (Ref:2928400)   #11
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Samurai View Post
Japanese GT car "Vemac" by R&D sport

Road going version
http://www.vemaccars.com/index.html
Racing version
http://www.rdsport.net/2011/vemac/index.html
Vemac RD408/458R: Mugen MF408/458S
Vemac RD350R: Zytek ZK348
Vemac RD320R: Honda C32B/ Porsche M97/77
Very nice, reminds me of the pre-98 911 GT1s.

On an off-topic note: I think both GT300 and GT500 make the ACO cars look really bland in comparison, IMO the GTE cars aren't all that impressive for being the top GT category, they look too close to their road-going counterparts and while they have produced excellent racing, I would definitively appreciate crazier looking aero and bodywork ala SuperGT or late 90's GT1.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 07:13 (Ref:2928416)   #12
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
That Vemac reminds me of the Elise GT1.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 07:14 (Ref:2928417)   #13
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Very nice, reminds me of the pre-98 911 GT1s.
I was thinking Elise GT1
Old 19 Jul 2011, 09:18 (Ref:2928468)   #14
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What about the ASL Gariya that is/was in Super GT? Good looking piece of kit if I remember correctly, it's in Gran Turismo 4 so it can't exactly be a new car.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 09:30 (Ref:2928470)   #15
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Great topic

Solution-F SF11 3.5L V6 (based on the Solution-F Opel Astra) (Dutch Supercar Challenge)

Photo source: Dutch Supercar Challenge
Old 19 Jul 2011, 10:36 (Ref:2928499)   #16
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not so much a GT but definately a GRAND Tourer is the Audi A8 that is being planned for this years Britcar 24 hours by Brooklands College. A W12 engined version has also raced in the Nurburgring 24 hours & VLN races by a German team.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 11:35 (Ref:2928514)   #17
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
ASL(AUTOBACS Sportscar Laboratory) Garaiya
Engine: SR20DET/ VQ35DE(2004-)
Old 20 Jul 2011, 07:44 (Ref:2928836)   #18
PorscheCurves
Racer

Australia
Sydney
PorscheCurves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about the:
Glickenhaus p45 Competizione
http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011...lder-p4-5.aspx

Donkervoort D8GT
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/07/g...ervoort-d8-gt/

Mooncraft Shiden
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mooncraft_Shiden
Old 20 Jul 2011, 09:50 (Ref:2928886)   #19
carabus
Rookie

Czech Republic
Praha, CZ
carabus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tatra

... and what about the Tatra 700 Ecorra with its original above-rear-axle mounted air-cooled V8 Tatra engine from the Czech GT championships?
Old 20 Jul 2011, 09:52 (Ref:2928888)   #20
carabus
Rookie

Czech Republic
Praha, CZ
Re: Tatra

Pardon for uncomfortable positioning the images, my first attempt only...
Old 20 Jul 2011, 09:58 (Ref:2928891)   #21
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Strictly speaking, Shiden is not a GT car. It is because road going version is not produced after all.
Instead, Mooncraft produced the Shiden Jr. based on the K-car. The cabin of the car was produced by using the same molding as Shiden. There is a racing version of Shiden Jr., too(based on the formula car).

Old 20 Jul 2011, 09:59 (Ref:2928893)   #22
Speed-King
Veteran

RE Tatra

Didn't even know that thing existed. Is it based on a roadcar shell or on a tubeframe chassis...

Looks a lot like a DTM-car in a way...
Old 20 Jul 2011, 11:58 (Ref:2928945)   #23
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I remember the V8 engined Tatras, back in about 1990?
They imported some to Western Europe, but they never sold.
Nice to see some still exist, even if only as a silhouette!

I think Roger Wills had one for Historic Racing a while back.
Old 20 Jul 2011, 13:55 (Ref:2929007)   #24
carabus
Rookie

Czech Republic
Praha, CZ
RE: Tatra

>>>I remember the V8 engined Tatras, back in about 1990?
They imported some to Western Europe, but they never sold.
Nice to see some still exist, even if only as a silhouette!
I think Roger Wills had one for Historic Racing a while back. >>>

Just not a silhouette, in fact the car is a unique specimen of a prototype "Tatra 700 tudor" made in 1989-90 by the Tatra factory, later bought by Hajdusek brothers (the former Czech ice hockey players) and rebuilt for GT racing. Excepted for some carbon body parts, the chassis and engine incl. its arrangement (above rear axle) are original, as in all Tatra 613/700 series. Tuned to some 450-550HP, the car successfully competed with Porsches 996 GT Cup in Czech GT championships during 2002-2009, even if not as fast as Charouz's ex-DTM Mercedes cars.
Old 20 Jul 2011, 18:15 (Ref:2929089)   #25
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
The Tatra is sweet; it shows some people still think outside the box.