Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 16 Jan 2004, 09:36 (Ref:840117)   #1
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Transport Question

Im looking at purchasing a 7.5t truck (Iveco Cargo etc) and was wondering about technicalities.

For example, I have a limited company solely for my motorsport activities, but I gather running such a vehicle through the company is a big headache and would be better running personally? (eg. operating license etc)

Also:

1. Where can I get insurance for a truck and what sort of cost would it be?
2. Can you get breakdown cover?
3. Anyone know how I can extend the taillift?
4. How can I add electrics in the back for lights etc?

Any help would be most appreciated.
Rgds
J
Old 16 Jan 2004, 10:19 (Ref:840160)   #2
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Miller is the man for this:

We have an I veco 75E15 to be precise, fortunatley ours is mostly a living area so it is insured as, taxed as, plated as a motorhome. We couldn't out a trailer on it otherwise.

A lot of people use long ramps that attach to the tailift, which makes the tail lift tempererally longer to put the car on. These can then be detached to put them in the back of the truck. A good engineering place will make you some ally ramps for well unde £100, all you need to do then is weld lugs onto the lift so that the ramps can locate, best way is a bolt through boths sides of the ramp, and through a tube welded on top of the lift. Some of the bsepoke ones have permantent ramps that fold down, but the chances are you will not have the clearance between the body.

Def. easier to run it outside the business, Operators license etc is a massive headache, insurance is more expensive etc.

Just wait for John to explain about insurance/recovery etc.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 10:30 (Ref:840173)   #3
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although a well equipped truck, with a big awning and all the kit set out properly is ideal, its downhill from there on. The legality of private road tax is debateable, especially if money is changing hands and I think you still have to comply with tachograph regs. Many very professional teams use covered trailers, some with awnings.
The added bonus of towing is that you are not marooned at the circuit for days.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 10:31 (Ref:840174)   #4
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=47596

'Trailers and Transporters' in Racers Forum.

I've seen plenty of top (F3 and the like) teams with 45ft transporters with 'not for hire or reward' on the cab!
Old 16 Jan 2004, 10:36 (Ref:840179)   #5
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
Its a bit of a grey area for lorries in private hands, for example how many profession teams have Not for Hire or Reward on the side.

Trouble is, with the the law the way it is, if you have a large van with a trailer (i.e. bringing the gross vehicle weight over 3.5t) you will still need a tacho if its for business use, which yours is. A lot of people do not know this, most motorsport people are breaking the law in some way when they are travelling!
Old 16 Jan 2004, 10:38 (Ref:840181)   #6
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnMiller

I've seen plenty of top (F3 and the like) teams with 45ft transporters with 'not for hire or reward' on the cab!
I obviously took too long to type!
Old 16 Jan 2004, 11:14 (Ref:840216)   #7
ActiveMS
Racer

Thanks for the above info.
Funnily enough I read the above topic when it first started.
Ive had BJ trailers in the past. While they are excellent for towing etc, I need more storage and I dont want to have to buy a tow car.

I can store the truck away securely at a friends.

So are we saying that private individuals cannot use trucks for motorsport related events without having an operators license? What is the purpose of the 'Not hire or reward' sign?

Are there any companies that provide breakdown services for truck?
Old 16 Jan 2004, 13:46 (Ref:840360)   #8
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Providing you use it for your own use and don't do any hire or reward work with it you don't need an operators licence and can tax it as a private vehicle. I wouldn't recomend going for an O licence as you will need to have a CPC licence holder and keep maintanance records etc. which is a major pain in the butt and you will soon become a criminal when you get something slightly wrong.
I think you need a tachograph even for a private vehicle over 3.5 tons gross mass.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 13:49 (Ref:840365)   #9
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
Pretty sure you won't need a tacho, for examples horse boxes don't.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 14:13 (Ref:840405)   #10
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Justin, you are correct and I am wrong. A good link here.
It states in the exemption bit that you don't need tachos for private use, which seems crazy. Does someone driving to and from a race circuit not get tired like an ordianry truck driver would
Old 16 Jan 2004, 14:28 (Ref:840421)   #11
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
I know its mad, only closly matched by our being able to drive what is essentially a truck (lonest wheelbase Iveco!) with a car trailer on the back (which you can't see!) on a normal license!

That said I can't drive it, they changed the law in about 1998 you do not get B+C on your license if you pass your test after then, so you can only tow a trailer upto 750 kilos and drive a vehicle less than 3.5T GVW.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 14:34 (Ref:840434)   #12
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you passed your test Justin?
Old 16 Jan 2004, 14:35 (Ref:840438)   #13
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
My driving test or the other "towing test"?
Old 16 Jan 2004, 14:37 (Ref:840442)   #14
JohnMiller
Veteran

It was a humour attempt...
Old 16 Jan 2004, 14:41 (Ref:840451)   #15
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
Old 16 Jan 2004, 14:41 (Ref:840454)   #16
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
Was that better?
Old 16 Jan 2004, 15:00 (Ref:840484)   #17
ActiveMS
Racer

Excellent, thanks.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 15:08 (Ref:840493)   #18
JohnMiller
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by JustinDawkins
Old 18 Jan 2004, 19:43 (Ref:842595)   #19
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by falcemob
I wouldn't recomend going for an O licence as you will need to have a CPC licence holder and keep maintanance records etc.
There are three types of O-Licence: Limited, national and international. As a company we are in the process of applying for a limited licence - for which, as long as we only ever carry our own goods, we do not need a Certificate of Professional Competence. If you are going to move anything for a third party - that means anything, you'd be breaking the law if you were to transport someone elses car, for example! - then you'll need a national licence and, if you plan to drive on the continent, you will need (obviously) an international licence. Whilst the limited licence is relatively easy to obtain, I'd agree with the previous poster who says you should avoid it if there is any way you can do so legally... it's still a pain in the butt!