Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 14 Apr 2005, 11:35 (Ref:1277944)   #1
Dom
Racer

United Kingdom
Rayleigh, Essex
Dom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Washing your race suit

I've got a momo 3 layer nomex suit about 5 years old. The wife just washes it on a cold hand wash in the machine just like the instructions say but the suit seems to be emitting a black powdery substance mostly around the legs and arms after wearing - now after washing it's showing up on the outside too.

Any ideas folks? what is this stuff and does it affect the fire properties of the suit?
Old 14 Apr 2005, 12:24 (Ref:1277978)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
I've got a momo 3 layer nomex suit about 5 years old. The wife just washes it on a cold hand wash in the machine just like the instructions say but the suit seems to be emitting a black powdery substance mostly around the legs and arms after wearing - now after washing it's showing up on the outside too.

Any ideas folks? what is this stuff and does it affect the fire properties of the suit?
Buy a new one
Old 14 Apr 2005, 13:30 (Ref:1278031)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
sounds like its breaking up . . .I wouldnt have thought you'd get much more than 5 years out of a race suit ? I'm sure theres a few 'senior' racers on here who'd know better. Midgetman should know the life expectancy of your average suit too
Old 14 Apr 2005, 14:19 (Ref:1278075)   #4
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've had two Sparco suits in 18 years - just got my third, an OMP. The first two are still okay except for a ripped bum in one of them. The first got very faded and then I think they both shrank a bit (or I put on a bit of weight!)
Old 14 Apr 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1278315)   #5
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Dom, I've heard a lot of things before. But this is a first. What type of Momo suit is it?
Old 15 Apr 2005, 07:46 (Ref:1278614)   #6
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM
I've had two Sparco suits in 18 years - just got my third, an OMP. The first two are still okay except for a ripped bum in one of them. The first got very faded and then I think they both shrank a bit (or I put on a bit of weight!)
Hello Mike...you're right...it's surprising how much 'wardrobe shrinkage' there is as one gets older
Old 15 Apr 2005, 08:45 (Ref:1278664)   #7
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, these wardrobes have a lot to answer for!
Old 15 Apr 2005, 11:16 (Ref:1278801)   #8
Dom
Racer

United Kingdom
Rayleigh, Essex
Dom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
err it's a red one... basically the cheapest nomex suit that I could get at the time - can't remember what it's proper name was (probably something blatantly untrue like Winner or Champion or something - still waiting for that win )
Old 16 Apr 2005, 10:23 (Ref:1279517)   #9
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
err it's a red one... basically the cheapest nomex suit that I could get at the time - can't remember what it's proper name was (probably something blatantly untrue like Winner or Champion or something - still waiting for that win )
Years ago my chum crashed my car and managed to set fire to it. He was wearing an old 2 layer nomex suit which started off red but had been washed so often to have faded to a pale pink.
It was quite a fire but the suit protected my by now ex chum who was not hurt at all. The heat had made the nomex rigid but it still did the job.
Old 17 Apr 2005, 22:28 (Ref:1280727)   #10
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I regularly washed my 3 layer, probably every 3 races or so. Never had any problems at all. Maybe it depends on the quality of the suit as to how it will stand up to washing etc.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 08:43 (Ref:1280973)   #11
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
On the original topic - Momo use a funny kind of f/r wadding as the middle layer. I suspect that after all these years the wadding is breaking up - it's like the stuff you get on the inside of anoraks. The suit's going to lose protection Dom - bin it.

Washing - 40 degrees, don't use a soap-based powder but make sure you have a detergent one (ie not Fairy Snow or Persil but Ariel). Reason? Especially in hard water areas, soap reacts with the water and leaves a chalky deposit which isn't flame retardant. Don't worry about colour washing out - Nomex fibres are inherently f/r and the protection won't disappear even if it looks colourless (try persuading scrutineers of that one though!). Colour's not very stable on these fabrics anyway.

Slippy - I think we're back to your comments on another thread regarding "you gets what you pays for". Protection is the same, but it's the intangibles that make up the price of an expensive suit.

Dom - like everyone else says, amazing a 5-year-old suit still fits anyway, know mine is now far too big for me (in my dreams......)

HTH

Max
Old 18 Apr 2005, 09:17 (Ref:1280996)   #12
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenRae
Years ago my chum crashed my car and managed to set fire to it. He was wearing an old 2 layer nomex suit which started off red but had been washed so often to have faded to a pale pink.
It was quite a fire but the suit protected my by now ex chum who was not hurt at all. The heat had made the nomex rigid but it still did the job.
As with age the wardrobe syndrome comes in with us all,but will heat and Nomex work with the same effect on other parts of the body that require a bit more rigidity as well!
Old 18 Apr 2005, 09:28 (Ref:1281006)   #13
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wash my suit every other race meeting. No soap, just softener.

It does no damage and it smells lovely........
Old 18 Apr 2005, 09:48 (Ref:1281029)   #14
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenRae
I thought Jim's suit started off white [or creamish] and turned pink when Jim's mum washed it with a new pair of red jockeys. Suffice to say that from that day onwards he was known as Pink Panther [nowadays shortened to Panther]
The fire though was a good un. I apologise again Steve for standing back and watching in panic, rather than mucking in and helping to extinguish it.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 18:38 (Ref:1281487)   #15
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>>>>>It does no damage and it smells lovely

Dunno about that. Softener won't get any dirt out, so your sweat and oil is still there, just smelling sweeter. When it catches fire the marshals'll think you're a joss-stick!
Old 18 Apr 2005, 23:59 (Ref:1281709)   #16
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman
>>>>>>>>It does no damage and it smells lovely

Dunno about that. Softener won't get any dirt out, so your sweat and oil is still there, just smelling sweeter. When it catches fire the marshals'll think you're a joss-stick!