Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 18 Aug 2006, 09:56 (Ref:1685832)   #1
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
2 pack paint got me last night, man am I sick this morning!

No fool like an old one! Lesson to be learnt here people.

I was spraying a new (legal) spoiler for the IROC and did a silly thing.

I got done with this stuff years ago when it first came out and bought a special mask with charcola filters (not cheap either) and you can not even smell the fumes. Where I may have cocked up in an effort to applease my neighbour (although gone 10pm) I shut down the roller shutter and opened the side windows, only thing was also in an effort to appease him further I did a silly thing, took the mask off for a minute or so and hang out the window and tried to gulp fresh air thats when it got me I think. Also the paint supplier told me 10 minutes max and I was in there for about 15 or more so I have been a pratt. No fool like an old fool and no fool like one that won't learn from his mistakes, I am slowly feeling a little better now but I have been violently sick this morning and still feel delicate and I am going to try some water in a minute but I will get my mate to do it next time or do it acrilic from aerosoles. Lesson to be learnt here, I am old enough toi have known better.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 10:44 (Ref:1685862)   #2
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yep, it's nasty stuff 2 pack, it's main problems is the use of Iso Cyanites as the transfer medium, when you breath them in you are essentially inhaling cyanides. I would go and talk to a doctor just to make sure that you are Ok, because they can cause issues with blood chemistries.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 11:01 (Ref:1685873)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Al, Charcoal filters are useless for 2 pack, you need an air supplied full face mask. The cyanides can also be absorbed through the skin as well.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 11:07 (Ref:1685876)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Bloody sod who sold me the stuff and the mask said it would be OK for 10 minutes or so.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 16:09 (Ref:1686104)   #5
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope you are okay Al.

But I misread the header: I thought it said: 2 pack PINT got me......

Now that would have worried me.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 18:13 (Ref:1686195)   #6
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Feeling a little better thanks but not a nice experience and I hope there is no permanant damage to my lungs.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 20:16 (Ref:1686264)   #7
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
A bit more info about the effects here
Old 18 Aug 2006, 20:23 (Ref:1686275)   #8
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is very bad stuff. A bit frightening to read. Thanks Tim.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 21:12 (Ref:1686306)   #9
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hi Al

Sorry to hear this; take good care of yourself in future.

Regards

Jim
Old 19 Aug 2006, 09:32 (Ref:1686529)   #10
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thank you, falcemob, for an excellent info page.

Recently, I posted here about the truely awful headache that I had after exposing myself to Xylene from Hammerite paint, so I've noted the page from the same site about that solvent too. That headache recurs for me if I breath it again, so from one old fool to another Al, please be careful!
Hope you're feeling good now.
John
PS A mask IS effective against xylene.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 10:09 (Ref:1686547)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Thanks for the feedback guys, well I am happy to report I took some flushing medication last night in the form of a few pints of lager as recommended by a plumber friend who recons the guy that taught him told him for every hour he worked with lead he had to consume a pint of beer to flush the system. Now he probably told that as an excuse to the wife but although still felt doggy last night towards the end of the evening I perked up and this morning I feel much better. Also the chest pains when I inhale and the wheezyness seems to have subsided a lot so hopefully no lasting damage done, spoiler looks great though!

Last edited by Al Weyman; 19 Aug 2006 at 10:12.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 15:34 (Ref:1687427)   #12
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nasty stuff. If you were spraying two-pack laquer, that horrid stuff get's in the lungs and sets in there!

I sprayed my Nova with 2-pack laquer, and did it in flaming june, workshop doors wide open for some airflow, and was recommended to wear a fine particle mask (damn near surgical quality for small particles) and a wet mask over the top of that. The wet one is supposed to stop the 2-pack mist, and I had no ill effects at all, but did keep exposure down to a minimum, probably 5 minutes at a go max - the laquer spray gun had a small capacity, so it didn't last much more than 5mins per mix.

The only thing I learned - it didn't go off very well. It stayed soft for months!
When I asked the supplier about it... "how long did you keep it in the oven".
Oven? what oven? Arrghhhh

Rob.